ooooooooooo

What Did You Do To Your Roxor This Weekend?

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Started in Plymouth UT ended near Malad, ID, then back to Plymouth

20230701_131856.jpg 20230701_131851.jpg 20230701_130818.jpg 20230701_131206.jpg Screenshot_20230701_130740_My Elevation.jpg 20230701_123629.jpg 20230701_123220.jpg 20230701_123112.jpg 20230701_123103.jpg 20230701_123107.jpg 20230701_122114.jpg

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Serviced my Roxor. Had 87 hours on the oil and 202 on the fuel filter. It was time. Good to go for a little while now. Last change I switched to valvoline premium blue. Previously I was running rotella T6 and like my semis the rotella has an odor from blow by on a fresh oil change It’s very distinguishable and although the engine is basically new it was present. On the semis it’s there on higher mileage engines. Since switching to valvoline premium blue that smell is gone. I also noticed my air filter had a noticeable spot on it from the breather tube venting into the filter housing when I ran rotella. granted I had more hours on the original filter when I saw this but it was much less noticeable when I swapped it out today. Could be the engine was still seating the rings on the rotella, I don’t know. All I know is I’m not running rotella again. From here on out it’s valvoline premium blue. Cummins endorses it and. That along with my experiences running it and I think it’s the oil of choice from now on. Now I’m low on fuel filters and out of air and oil filters so time to order more.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Amsoil here as well, my family used to own valvoline and I was a firm believer in the oil. Ran it in everything I had even my semi. But once I tried amsoil it blew every oil in there lineup. Never once have I used an oil and it quited down the motor like amsoil did. I also run Amsoil Eao64 oil filters. 20 micron filters

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I figured out that I can actually start my 2018 in second gear - even on a somewhat steep incline.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That a quick way to needing a new clutch.
Actually that's incorrect. It will extend the life of the clutch if done properly. Float shifting can reduce clutch wear because it is used so much less (only for starting from a standstill). I've gotten almost a Million miles out of my clutch in my semi by floating. I've had a clutch blown up on my W900 and got it back on a 600 mile drive pulling doubles without it, only had to turn truck off 5 times. As a truck driver you want your equipment to last longer between repairs, floating does that. If it was so bad it wouldn't be common practice in the trucking world. Give floating a try, I don't force it, I do it without even thinking. Im just as smooth getting into gear just like using the clutch.

Last edited:

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The only thing that makes me question doing that, is years ago I had a 1981 GMC pickup and I got into the habit of just pushing it out of 4th gear when I came to a stop without using the clutch. It was fine for a couple of years, but then it started popping out of 4th all the time on its own. I don't know if doing that caused it to start popping out, or it was just a coincidence, but I'm not taking chances with my Roxor, lol.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Actually that's incorrect. It will extend the life of the clutch if done properly. Float shifting can reduce clutch wear because it is used so much less (only for starting from a standstill). I've gotten almost a Million miles out of my clutch in my semi by floating. I've had a clutch blown up on my W900 and got it back on a 600 mile drive pulling doubles without it, only had to turn truck off 5 times. As a truck driver you want your equipment to last longer between repairs, floating does that. If it was so bad it wouldn't be common practice in the trucking world. Give floating a try, I don't force it, I do it without even thinking. Im just as smooth getting into gear just like using the clutch.
Starting off in 2nd is not floating. It also isn't a heavy duty clutch designed for 2000 ft lbs of torque. The clutch is a weak link with even a stock engine. Very little pressure force. In 2nd gear, the engine requires more torque to get moving. More torque=more slip. I'm not a truck driver. I am a career diesel mechanic. I would fix what truck drivers and operators would break.

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Starting off in 2nd is not floating. It also isn't a heavy duty clutch designed for 2000 ft lbs of torque. The clutch is a weak link with even a stock engine. Very little pressure force. In 2nd gear, the engine requires more torque to get moving. More torque=more slip. I'm not a truck driver. I am a career diesel mechanic. I would fix what truck drivers and operators would break.
Interesting. It never seems like it slips any more starting in second than first, but I don't have your mechanical background. I guess I'll lay off this technique until I can install a heavy duty clutch.