ooooooooooo

Pinion Seal Trouble

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I was in the pasture working on the electric fence and found some wire.. Not so good-- it was wrapped up on my drive shaft and then right where the ujoints go into the front end, It got wrapped around where the oil seal is. As I started removing it, oil started pouring out.. What a downer.. I was able to get the short distance to the barn and part it before the oil emptied out completely.
I've replaced the rear ujoints on the RTV several times but nothing like this. Is this a job for a real mechanic and special tools or is it possible to consider fixing myself.. Also do you think the seals are Mahindra or generic . Thank you

Last edited:

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Should be generic seals and just like replacing the seals on a truck. Just use an impact and zap the pinion nut loose. Remove yoke and then pop out old seal and drive in new one. I always used a socket to hammer it in. Then put yoke back on, if your anal about it possibly loosening use locktight and/or ping the threads at the edge of the pinion nut. Should be able to just hammer it tight with impact and be good torque wise. Put driveshaft on and fill diff up and Rox on.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If all else just search on YouTube for a Jeep pinion seal fix or Dana 44 pinion seal. Should find someone that has a video showing who to do it.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you Txroadkill. That's encouraging. I do appreciate the advice.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've got the shaft off after marking it but am having a devil of a time getting the yolk off of the shaft- Nut came off fine but the yolk is sure on tight. I have a puller I going to try . but have to get ready for th hurricane even up here. Thanks

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I got the yolk off of the diff 's shaft. :) now to get the seal out .. It looks like a bear and acting like one too.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks Txroadkill. I'm going to pick up one of those !!! Man, I miss my Roxor and it's only been 24 hrs without that thing .

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Your welcome. Glad your having success with this repair. Next time it’ll go much quicker and easier.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've done a pinion seal before and it's not that bad. Just make sure to torque the nut down to the proper spec. Some guys over torque it and this causes the bearings to wear down.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I got the seal out but had to use an old sharp screwdriver. It came out easily once the flanges were lifted up a bit.
I called around and it seems like the seal is only available at the dealer. Its less than $11 though so got him to order me two. No, they don't stock them yet but I bet they will soon. Bad part is it will take most of next week to get here. I did mark the shaft, nut and about everything else so I'd get it back together properly. I 'm looking forward to a shop manual when available to have the torques and other necessary information. I liked this to the point youtube :
Thanks Campyman and Txroadkill. I do appreciate all advice !

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
On Monday you could go to a bearing dealer and I bet they have it in stock. Or just wait.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Have one on order to try so should be here Wed. Will let ya'll know how it works out.

edit- it's an aftermarket. Since the warehouse burned housing the real thing, I have no idea when they(the real thing) will get here and dealer doesn't know or isn't saying. My oem order is still in effect. Goes without saying "not to ever put all your eggs in one basket".

Last edited:

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I got in the jeep seal I ordered and I'm up and running.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The seal that did what I needed it to do was for a jeep . I followed the procedure I linked to in a thread above from a few days ago and used a big 2" socket to carefully drive in the seal. A piece of pvc /fitting could work too.. also used sealant as recommended. edit : I removed the link because I'm unsure of its long lasting capability. I would always go with oem if available - the only reason I didn't go oem was the long delayed backorder.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Well Tomorrow is Sept 1 and still no Mahindra brand pinion seal . I ordered and paid the dealer for 2 back in July . (I had ordered an extra just to have for such instances as I encountered) I'll post the link back just in case somebody gets in a pickle like I was. The only reason I removed the link was that the one I got wasn't a perfect match as far as the joint "guard" goes- the wire messed up my guard . the rubber and outer flange did fit fine for me. No leaks and I can now use the Roxor for my work. This is what I picked out for my emergency fix.. Use discretion / it's your decision because of the guard groove not being exact like the oem.. get factory if possible . I got it on ama zon.
Jeep Cherokee XJ Wrangler TJ Grand Cherokee ZJ Dana 30 Dana 44 Yoke Pinion Seal

MAGAHAWK

Well Tomorrow is Sept 1 and still no Mahindra brand pinion seal . I ordered and paid the dealer for 2 back in July . (I had ordered an extra just to have for such instances as I encountered) I'll post the link back just in case somebody gets in a pickle like I was. The only reason I removed the link was that the one I got wasn't a perfect match as far as the joint "guard" goes- the wire messed up my guard . the rubber and outer flange did fit fine for me. No leaks and I can now use the Roxor for my work. This is what I picked out for my emergency fix.. Use discretion / it's your decision because of the guard groove not being exact like the oem.. get factory if possible . I got it on ama zon.
Jeep Cherokee XJ Wrangler TJ Grand Cherokee ZJ Dana 30 Dana 44 Yoke Pinion Seal
you need to order your parts from sherwood tractor - you will like their service