Check out Jessie’s set up.
78be8bc97e942d088ce417260870fb14.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I really fell in love with the Roxor but still didn’t know what direction I wanted to take the build in. I loved how it was stock with just a set of cheap shackles and 33 tires but I knew it wouldn’t get me down the trails I wanted to take it down.

I figured I’d keep it pretty much the way it was for a while and start collecting parts. In the mean time I bought some fresh Maxxis 33x10.5r15 and a set of Bart 15x8 wheels with 3 inch back spacing. I welded some custom cut bead lock rings that I had made to look like my favorite spiderlock wheels. At this point I also added a skid plate from Rick Cecco and a cheap Cj7 rear seat from smitty bilt. I figured that would be enough to have fun with while I started gathering parts for the real build out.

View attachment 5580View attachment 5581View attachment 5583 View attachment 5582View attachment 5584

View attachment 5580 View attachment 5581 View attachment 5582 View attachment 5583 View attachment 5584
Beautiful job on the Roxor

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just realized your the same guy on FB that I ordered my shackles from! I don't get on this site much, but I look forward to following this build even more now that I know who you are. Great Job so far!

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Congratulations to Jesse Haines on his 4600 class win. I might was well come out and say it now, I have full intentions to race 4600 class in this roxor at King Of the Hammers 2021. It was the original reason I got rid of that samurai. I have a couple sponsors on board already and I’m hoping his win makes other sponsors take a roxor a little more seriously now. I have a feeling Jesse and I won’t be the only Roxors out there next year.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ok so update on the long travel YJ kit...

At this point I think I all of the components drawn up after several attempts to get all the factory holes to line up. At this point the front of the kit looks like it won’t require any drilling but it will need bumper modification. Minimal cutting of the stock bumper but maybe a little more on some after market bumpers. The front will attach with 5 bolts and use a XJ style shackle. I’m using a shackle I had laying around for mock up. I plan to make a super beefy shackle to include with the kit.
a6d0563068f44413ecb17d9c743991b8.jpg
0961de931c418381ef914e1331dc0316.jpg

All and all, it looks like you’ll be able to get up to about 11 inches of travel depending on the spring you choose. Unlike shackle reversal, the axle will more forward as it compresses which make running bigger tires possible with less rub. Because of the amount of suspension articulation you’ll get out, it may be necessary to upgrade steering to allow for the extreme angles you’ll be able to achieve with this kit. Likewise, drive shaft slip will be at its limits with a 4 inch lift spring. I have yet to cycle the suspension with 2.5 lift springs.
The adaption kit it’s self adds about 1.5 to 2 inches of lift in addition to the spring height you choose, so a 2.5 YJ spring would be closer to a 4 inch lift.

Some people have asked why not just go spring over axle....

There are just too many cons for spring over. Especially when wheeling hard on lighter weight springs like the roxor has. The biggest one, Axle wrap. Under load the axle will tend to want to spin counter to the rotation of the tires. This bends the springs into an S and allows pinion angle to get all out of wack. A lot of times this breaks the drive shaft and/or universal joints. Also, as the rotational force is transferred some of that energy is stored the spring rather then putting it into the ground. As the energy stored in the spring builds it eventually snaps back. This is what causes axle hop. Axle hop puts stress on every component of the drivetrain. The wheels can literally hop off the ground sending shock back through the ring and pinion, drive shaft, transfer case, transmission, etc. This,combined with the poor pinion angle as the axle wraps normally, leads to catastrophic failure. The lower the gears the easier it is to make this happen.

The only way to do spring over correct (more like a bandaid) on a light spring vehicle is to add a anti wrap bar. These bars either are mounted on a shackle or have a slip yoke to prevent the suspension from binding as it cycles.

You can see the high clearance anti wrap bar I had to make for my samurai. And a picture of the anti wrap kit sold by Ruff Stuff.
e99289c3febfe7a7876246d53c1b4f24.jpg

a6bef1f04a46e7be2a0c04d70639e02b.jpg

These anti wrap bars work well with the correct geometry. They hard link the axle to the frame to reduce/eliminate axle twist.

A huge advantage of spring under is minimal wrap with no extra links and a more stable ride. Really the only disadvantage to spring under is the u bolts and spring hanging down below the axle, taking away grounds clearance.

There are some products like this bottom plate from ruff stuff that would minimize ground clearance loss with spring under. I plan to make something similar for my rig.

0e8b78ea456131fac81c38c320145115.jpg

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Solid! I def dig the plates and agree on Spring Over. It worked on old CJs or trucks with super stiff springs. Also keep in mind back then, there wasn't the off road aftermarket of today, so they worked with what they had. In general, if you need a sway bar on that axle, spring over is prolly a bad idea lol

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I need to get some good photos but the roxor is now sitting on yj leafs in the front. Completely bolt on. Still finalizing the bracket and required hardware at the rear of the spring but feeling pretty confident in the system.

0076d4f0347386b8d660a8ebee2f036d.jpg

Breevers

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Awesome! Been anxiously waiting on an update for this but know it takes time to develop 1-off pieces!

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
is that the stock Roxor axle with yj springs? Im in the market of buying a roxor and making it street legal. I love the build you doing keep building parts please so i will have a place to get bolt on parts from!

Yep stock axles still. I have the new axles on stand by. I need to test the kit with the stock axles before I can swap in the rock assault axles.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
0ca92e04f6f0f72cc84a3ebab74be9ef.jpg

Kind of stumped on this one. They don’t use bolts this big on 1 ton trucks!.... however I’d much rather have a 1/2in bolt and a poly bushing. The hanger width is only as wide as the 2.5 in spring. And the spring constantly rubs up against the inside of the hangers.
This pretty much eliminates the possibility of an easy swap to a different vehicle spring since everything else uses a flanged bushing making it to wide for the factory hanger.
In order to to a YJ spring in the rear you would pretty much be required to cut the old hanger off and weld on a 3 inch wide hanger in its place. I was really hoping to be able to make this a bolt on kit that be available to anyone but it may not be as simple as I was hoping. I don’t have a problem cutting and welding but I feel like it will deter some people that don’t have access to a welder. Not to mention cutting off the factory tabs on something your still making payments on.