ooooooooooo

Yet another DIY Door Idea

FredFlintstone

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hi All,

I know there are a ton of door ideas out there, and many are great but I wanted to try something I knew. I have built two homemade campers using "poor man's fiberglass" as siding so I decided to make my half doors the same way. For those who don't know "poor man's fiberglass" is basically 100 year old process of using raw canvas, glue and paint to make a waterproof covering... here are the results......

2.jpg 3.jpg

FredFlintstone

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Works Great. The covering on my camper is 5 years old and still looks good so I figtured it would work for my doors.. I wanted the texture that the canvas provides, good UV and weather proof...... Very happy so far...

FredFlintstone

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Not epoxy, it is titebond III wood glue. Look up "poor man's fiberglass" on you tube there are videos others have done. My camper has this type of exterior on it and it is still perfect 5 years in. Also the canvas must be untreated for this to work so the glue and paint can bond with it and the wood underneath.

Not saying it will work for everyone it just worked well for me... :}

RoxinatorAZ

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I made doors out of plywood and sprayed them with bedliner. After a couple summers in the Arizona heat they are not holding up very well.

What did you use? Thin piece of plywood with the canvas over it? One of the videos showed using foam board with the canvas over it. Can you get a picture of the interior side.

2dutz2

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
A52AAAAAVJA001435 1435
Having been a Forester in my evil past, 3/8 plywood has worked very well for me. 4 years. Rc

FredFlintstone

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hi All,

I used 15/32 inch plywood as the base, I would be afraid foam board as the reason that the canvas fits tight is the glue and paint cause the untreated canvas to shrink and makes a nice tight fit. Plywood by itself might have been fine but the I like the grain of the canvas and it resists UV and water damage way better than plywood by itself....

Here is a picture of the inside of the doors.
doorx.jpg

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Great idea. Raw canvas covered wood nicely complements a 1947 retro look. A base of weather resistant plywood or 15/32 Advantech sub flooring should make these doors extremely durable. A bed liner coating over canvas might be another option.

FredFlintstone

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Not sure if anyone was interested but the poor mans' fiberglass on my doors worked so well I decided to do the roof also.. Here is a picture doing a test fitting. I still need to adjust the mounts and give it a final coat of paint but so far I am happy with it.

roof.jpg

GiStore

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Thar Owner