ooooooooooo

Warn Hub Install

Doshounds

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
IMG_4304.png

I received my Warn Locking Hubs from Amazon today. I couldn't wait to install them so I dug right in. I took a few pics along the way.

I started by removing the center dust caps. I actually used a small hammer to pry it off. Here's a pic to show it removed. And the part number of the hubs.

AMAZON LINK --> https://amzn.to/2PEcDjp

IMG_4302.JPG

Next, you need a set of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring on the axle. You can see it on the axle in the pic above, once the snap ring is removed, you can get out your socket set and remove the 6 bolts on the factory hub, you will reuse the 6 bolts you remove so don't lose them. I always use a cross cross pattern when I remove and tighten them. Once the 6 bolts are removed you can gently pull outward on the hub cover and it will slide off. Now the new hubs are ready to install.

The new hubs will have one Allen screw holding the cap in place for shipping. You need to remove the one Allen screw and set cap aside. Here is a pic of the hubs in the box.
IMG_4303.JPG

It you look close you will see the one Allen screw that need to be removed. Don't throw it away you will use it later. Once you remove the chrome cap you will be left with the actual hub. You can now simply align the splines on the axle with the hub. It will slide on. There is an o-ring on the back of the hub that will seal things up. Included with your hubs is the washers, gaskets, Allen bolts, etc. It is time to bust these out. You will use the 6 bolts you removed from the factory hub covers and place a lock washer and the regular washer and place them through the new hub and snug them up in a criss cross pattern. Once you get them snug, torque to 27-32 FT lbs. Also included is a new set of snap rings. It is time to install the new snap rings on the axle. They will go back in same place. If that makes sense.

Now you will need to locate the gray gaskets the will seal up the chrome caps to the hub. The gaskets will only line up one way. I just took the gasket and placed it on the chrome cap and rotated it until it set in place. You will know when it is correct. Then you just need to place the chrome cover over the hub. It will only go in one way also. I just rotated it until it basically dropped in. Now locate the 6 Allen bolts and start to get them hand tight. I put a drop of blue loctite on these. Tighten in a cross cross pattern. I don't have an Allen fitting for my torque wrench so I just got them tight but didn't crank on them. Here is the finished product. It took me longer to type this thread then to install the hubs.

I got these off Amazon for $205 bucks and had $40 in Amazon points on my Amazon card. It pays to let the Wife use that card. Lol.

IMG_4304.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmyb

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Great write up, did you get your ecm back yet?

Reactions: Tim

Doshounds

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks brother. Not yet. It will be here Monday. They got it yesterday and it’s on it’s way back to me. Sucks I paid 48 bucks for expedited shipping and have to wait through the weekend.

Last edited:

lawtac

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Are any locking hubs available for the rear wheels, looking to be able to unlock hubs on all 4 wheels for flat towing without the need to disconnect the drive shaft to preserve parts.

Doshounds

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
There may be available options. I haven't pulled the dust covers off to count the splines. Then you could cross reference to s set of hubs that would possibly work based on spline count and hub size. I thought putting transfer case and transmission in neutral would work with locking hubs to flat tow? I have never flat towed anything so I am a bad source. Lol.

Star

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Did your install require any spacers and how is your install working out?

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just completed this installation, two notes :

1 After removing the snap ring from the axle end the stock hub assembly did not want to slide off very easily. Removing the wheel allows you to get abetter grip on it and it comes right off exposing about four inches of the shaft to get your new hub to slide on.

2 These worked fine with wheel spacers, have 2 inch spacers on all four corners and didn't affect this install.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Hell yes! Even a fat old guy can install the Warn 29062 hubs. I did as foxstand mentioned, I removed every other hub bolt first. This allowed very easy pry off with a claw hammer. Great pick up. I then went to work. It took me an hour. It would have taken a lot less time had I remembered to RE INSTALL THE C CLIP BEFORE I BOLTED IT ALL ON. Damnit Jim!!!

Thank goodness I only did that on the first side, Hahahaha. Just think, I worked on corporate jets for 15 years.:oops:. Lol.

So I went ahead and towed it again. Took it by the dealer. They had not herd of the latest update from Mahindra stating that with the Warn / Mahindra locking hubs the Roxor with its transfer case in neutral and in first gear all is good to 55 mph flat tow regardless of distance.

They went on line and found an update about the hub install and particulars and printed for me. We checked a units manual and it's as mine is. No mention about flat towing. Guess a manual re distribution should happen.:).

After I returned I crawled under and the transfer case was just barely warm. The front and rear riffs were warmer but not hot. The Roxor will defiantly turn sharper with hubs unlocked than it did OEM.

BDRAG

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Rear hubs will come when FullFloat kits make their way to the Roxor. Very popular on Willys era Jeeps.

General

Founding Member
Warn part number is 29062, NOT 29026. Amazon Prime price $206, cheapest I could find. Installs perfectly. Took 70 minutes, but I went very carefully. One of my dust caps was difficult to get off (I found some rust or corrosion on the inside), and I had to bang it up with a hammer to get it off, which is OK because you don't reuse it. I had the wheels off already, which made it easier, and I reiterate the previous tip to remove the six 14mm hub bolts before removing the dust cap, then pry off with the hammer (or bang it). If this is your first time using locking hubs, make sure you rotate the lock 90% from 2WD to 4WD, not just the closer 10% rotation. It gets a little looser after the grease moves around a few times. Also, do NOT add grease, because Warn says the proper amount is already in there.

Tools needed: claw hammer (for prying), 14mm long socket, torque wrench to 30 ft-lbs, 5/16 allen wrench, blue loctite.

Orientation (for clarification):
(1) the hub goes on the shaft in any orientation
(2) the paper gasket goes on the cap in only one orientation (cap's pin aligns with cutout in gasket)
(3) the hub (with gasket) goes in any of 3 orientations designated by bulges on the hub

T H A N K Y O U to everyone here who contributed to this forum, boosted my confidence in the entire process, and helps us all get awesome machines!

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(

P Bleskey

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
View attachment 992

I received my Warn Locking Hubs from Amazon today. I couldn't wait to install them so I dug right in. I took a few pics along the way.

I started by removing the center dust caps. I actually used a small hammer to pry it off. Here's a pic to show it removed. And the part number of the hubs.

AMAZON LINK --> https://amzn.to/2PEcDjp

View attachment 971

Next, you need a set of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring on the axle. You can see it on the axle in the pic above, once the snap ring is removed, you can get out your socket set and remove the 6 bolts on the factory hub, you will reuse the 6 bolts you remove so don't lose them. I always use a cross cross pattern when I remove and tighten them. Once the 6 bolts are removed you can gently pull outward on the hub cover and it will slide off. Now the new hubs are ready to install.

The new hubs will have one Allen screw holding the cap in place for shipping. You need to remove the one Allen screw and set cap aside. Here is a pic of the hubs in the box.
View attachment 974

It you look close you will see the one Allen screw that need to be removed. Don't throw it away you will use it later. Once you remove the chrome cap you will be left with the actual hub. You can now simply align the splines on the axle with the hub. It will slide on. There is an o-ring on the back of the hub that will seal things up. Included with your hubs is the washers, gaskets, Allen bolts, etc. It is time to bust these out. You will use the 6 bolts you removed from the factory hub covers and place a lock washer and the regular washer and place them through the new hub and snug them up in a criss cross pattern. Once you get them snug, torque to 27-32 FT lbs. Also included is a new set of snap rings. It is time to install the new snap rings on the axle. They will go back in same place. If that makes sense.

Now you will need to locate the gray gaskets the will seal up the chrome caps to the hub. The gaskets will only line up one way. I just took the gasket and placed it on the chrome cap and rotated it until it set in place. You will know when it is correct. Then you just need to place the chrome cover over the hub. It will only go in one way also. I just rotated it until it basically dropped in. Now locate the 6 Allen bolts and start to get them hand tight. I put a drop of blue loctite on these. Tighten in a cross cross pattern. I don't have an Allen fitting for my torque wrench so I just got them tight but didn't crank on them. Here is the finished product. It took me longer to type this thread then to install the hubs.

I got these off Amazon for $205 bucks and had $40 in Amazon points on my Amazon card. It pays to let the Wife use that card. Lol.

View attachment 975
Doshounds, right on time! I got my rig last Saturday and picked up the same hubs.Thanks for the post and the pics, this is my next project after I button up the dash tomorrow and finish my street legal lighting.

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I installed mine last night. Took me about 20 mins. to remove the freakin dust cap on one side and about 45mins on the other. I remember the good old days when I was kid working in my Dad's shop . We had a dust cap puller that made it a snap normally to remove the caps. Once in a while you would run into one that was rusted on and a real mother to get off.
We would smack it a few times with a hammer while spewing a string of profanities. It didn't help much in removing the caps---but sure made ya feel better! lol