ooooooooooo

Warn Hub Install

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Ok everyone I have one hell of a mystery happening. I’ve installed warn hubs so I can flat tow. Daily driving they work exactly as they’re supposed to. In 2wd with the hubs unlocked, the front driveshaft doesn’t spin. Lock the hubs and it does. But then when I go to flat tow, I unlock the hubs, shift the transfer case into neutral and trans into 1 and begin to be towed, the front driveshaft is spinning. This makes no sense. Can anyone think of anything that would cause this? Thanks.

Mine does as well. The diff will get warm but not hot. I have prolly flat towed 1000 miles now with no issues. I don't understand it either. Lol.

BDRAG

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It’s fluid drag turning the shaft. Jack both rear tires off the ground. Chock the front for safety and emergency brake disengaged. Put it in 2wd,trans in neutral and start it up and look. Try it in t case neutral also If you want. nothing to worry about IMO.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks for the explanation. So I’m your opinion you don’t think that I need to worry about it while flat towing. It freaks me out to to tow seeing the front driveshaft spinning with unlocked hubs.
Nothing to worry about. It’s normal. I believe it’s the parasitic drag your seeing. Google wheel off ground and wheel spin in neutral. Many vehicles do this.

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice. My question is...... for some of us, what would be the difference between Warn and Mile Marker? I would use them more for flat towing and using LO range while still in 2wd around the hay field than the hard core off road/rock climber.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Spanky, it's all preference in Brand. Warn invented the locking hub. I've had both brands. Mile Marker on a Bronco. Both can break like anything mechanical.

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Sorry to keep going back to this issue but it’s super coon fusing to me mechanically. I get the fluid drag dynamics but I don’t understand this part. With the vehicle off, hubs unlocked and transfer case in 2wd, I can freely turn the front driveshaft by hand. When I shift the transfer case to neutral I can no longer turn the front driveshaft by hand. Shouldn’t it be free to turn then too? Thanks for the help guys.

75f250

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Are you sure that’s it’s in neutral and not 4wd high? You should be able to turn the front shaft when the transfer case is in neutral

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Are you sure that’s it’s in neutral and not 4wd high? You should be able to turn the front shaft when the transfer case is in neutral
I’m 100% sure. I’ve tested it so many times because it doesn’t make any sense mechanically. The front driveshaft is totally free in 2wd but I cannot spin it in N.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Well heck, maybe with transfer case in 2 H we know that the case is NOT engaging the front drive line. Once you move the selector to 4 H then through N to 4 L, all of these are involving selections involving both drive shafts? So maybe once selected from 2 wheel drive it's all selected or now meshed. N just disengages the transfer case from trans? Lol.

BDRAG

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Well heck, maybe with transfer case in 2 H we know that the case is NOT engaging the front drive line. Once you move the selector to 4 H then through N to 4 L, all of these are involving selections involving both drive shafts? So maybe once selected from 2 wheel drive it's all selected or now meshed. N just disengages the transfer case from trans? Lol.

BDRAG
That appears to be the situation. I probably would have never known this if I didn’t plan to flat tow. Can anyone confirm if theirs does this too or if mine truly does have a problem and I need to take it back to my dealer. I’ve been working with the Roxor mechanics over text and they’re super confused. Incredibly helpful and great service but super confused.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
That appears to be the situation. I probably would have never known this if I didn’t plan to flat tow. Can anyone confirm if theirs does this too or if mine truly does have a problem and I need to take it back to my dealer. I’ve been working with the Roxor mechanics over text and they’re super confused. Incredibly helpful and great service but super confused.

Collin S, I am sure mine does it too. Like I have mentioned in prior posts after flat towing the front diff gets warm. Why? Because its spinning. That's why we need the warren hubs. I would say the drive shaft is spinning, the axles are turning away and the hubs are free wheeling. I have towed at least 1000 miles with my Roxor at a max speed of 65 mph. Its been fine so far. Like you I was dumb founded. I just said screw it, I am doing what Mahindra instructs to do if flat towing. That means warranty if it shits. LOL. I Hope!

BDRAG

Last edited:

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Collin S, I am sure mine does it too. Like I have mentioned in prior posts after flat towing the front diff gets warm. Why? Because its spinning. That's why we need the warren hubs. I would say the drive shaft is spinning, the axles are turning away and the hubs are free wheeling. I have towed at least 1000 miles with my Roxor at a max speed of 65 mph. Its been fine so far. Like you I was dumb founded. I just said screw it, I am doing what Mahindra instructs to do if flat towing. That means warranty if it shits. LOL. I Hope!

BDRAG
Yeah man I totally agree. I am completely dumbfounded since it doesn’t make sense mechanically. Their mechanics can’t figure it out and trailer towing it back to the dealer two hours away, being without it and towing it back is not something I want to do. I’ll do exactly what they require for flat tow. Long trip I can always detach the driveshaft. Thanks for all the help.

Mtroxor

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Zip tie the drive shaft yoke to something on the undercarriage. Tow with hubs out and tcase in neutral. If the zip tie breaks, something is wrong.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Yeah man I totally agree. I am completely dumbfounded since it doesn’t make sense mechanically. Their mechanics can’t figure it out and trailer towing it back to the dealer two hours away, being without it and towing it back is not something I want to do. I’ll do exactly what they require for flat tow. Long trip I can always detach the driveshaft. Thanks for all the help.

While looking on line to find an answer to the issue we are conversing about, looking for a mechanical explanation as to just how the transfer case works, I ran across these. I am not sure how feasible it is for an off road vehicle but! I never knew these existed. Never needed to know they existed. Lol.

Coupling

BDRAG

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Zip tie the drive shaft yoke to something on the undercarriage. Tow with hubs out and tcase in neutral. If the zip tie breaks, something is wrong.

Mtroxor, if the tie wrap breaks. LOL. Yes, if the warren hubs are unlocked and the rear drive shaft turns while disconnected, it means that the hubs ain't releasing maybe? Lol. If I was towing more than a few hundred miles at a time I would take the time to remove the rear drive shaft for sure. A few where I work tow their jeeps. They disconnect the rear drive shaft.

BDRAG

Mtroxor

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Mtroxor, if the tie wrap breaks. LOL. Yes, if the warren hubs are unlocked and the rear drive shaft turns while disconnected, it means that the hubs ain't releasing maybe? Lol. If I was towing more than a few hundred miles at a time I would take the time to remove the rear drive shaft for sure. A few where I work tow their jeeps. They disconnect the rear drive shaft.

BDRAG

BDRAG, yeah I guess it would definitely break a tie after looking over the linkage. Only thing I'd ever seen flat towed up close was an old scout with twin sticks. This single stick setup once the selector is out of 2 high, the front and rear drive shafts are locked together for all 3 positions. So if anyone has come out with a twin stick conversion, that might be cheaper than that drive line disconnect.

Erdinger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice. My question is...... for some of us, what would be the difference between Warn and Mile Marker? I would use them more for flat towing and using LO range while still in 2wd around the hay field than the hard core off road/rock climber.
A difference... maybe? Country of manufacture. Warn are made in USA. MM - not sure. I asked where both were made on Amazon - USA or China. Warn Customer service replied with "USA". I had them on a 74 CJ5, and an 82 CJ7, many years ago. They were always rock solid.
Regarding Mile Marker, the answer i got on Amazon was said to be from the Manufacturer, and it said "some material is from overseas". I'm not sure what that means. Have never owned a pair, so cant speak to reliability.
I will gladly pay more for a quality product made here in the US.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
A difference... maybe? Country of manufacture. Warn are made in USA. MM - not sure. I asked where both were made on Amazon - USA or China. Warn Customer service replied with "USA". I had them on a 74 CJ5, and an 82 CJ7, many years ago. They were always rock solid.
Regarding Mile Marker, the answer i got on Amazon was said to be from the Manufacturer, and it said "some material is from overseas". I'm not sure what that means. Have never owned a pair, so cant speak to reliability.
I will gladly pay more for a quality product made here in the US.

Erdinger, I could not agree more. Tried and true and with some diligent searching on the web, one Can narrow the cost difference significantly . I found my warren hubs on a small 4x4 shops web site for $160.00 bucks or near there. I got Summit Racing to price match and with sales tax and next day shipping they cost $190.00. I think average pricing was around $240-$250.

BDRAG

BFAROXOR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Mine does as well. The diff will get warm but not hot. I have prolly flat towed 1000 miles now with no issues. I don't understand it either. Lol.

BDRAG
I recently flat towed about 11 to 12 miles and the front diff was very warm, couldn't leave my hand on it. Did everything by the book. Drove it back the 11 miles and the front diff was cool to the touch. Something doesn't make sense.

Collin S.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I recently flat towed about 11 to 12 miles and the front diff was very warm, couldn't leave my hand on it. Did everything by the book. Drove it back the 11 miles and the front diff was cool to the touch. Something doesn't make sense.
You’ll lose your mind if you try to think about it too much. None of it makes sense mechanically so it’s best just to ignore it. The few of us on here who do flat tow can’t figure it out so we just tow away without thinking about it.