ooooooooooo

EGR delete done!

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The first time I started mine up after doing a full delete everything was fine. However I started it up and checked for leaks and then ran it for over 3 hrs straight before I shut it off. As soon as I went to restart it right after that the light was on immediately before I cranked it over and I’ve had the light on ever since. In the process of getting ecm reflashed again now to hopefully correct it.

Well, that makes me feel a bit better. I could have sworn there was no light the first time around, and I ran it for probably 1/2 an hour, both idling looking for leaks and running it around the property. Looks like I will be doing as Jimmyb suggested in an earlier post and disassembling and reinstalling the EGR sensor without the body and flanges. I'm glad I didn't throw away those little connector clips.

Flatlander

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Well, that makes me feel a bit better. I could have sworn there was no light the first time around, and I ran it for probably 1/2 an hour, both idling looking for leaks and running it around the property. Looks like I will be doing as Jimmyb suggested in an earlier post and disassembling and reinstalling the EGR sensor without the body and flanges. I'm glad I didn't throw away those little connector clips.
Yeah would definitely be worth a try. One of my connector clips went flying the other day when I did the delete. Figured I better find it in case things didn’t work out. Took longer to find that thing than it did to install Jimmy b’s kit. ?

Jimmyb

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You can remove the sensor from the top of the egr valve and plug it in tied out of the way. I’ll try to find my pictures of it all taken apart.

Jimmyb

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I found the sensor, pictures added. You can pry up the tabs on the top of the egr valve to remove the sensor from the assembly. Then you can tie the sensor plugged back in to the connector out of the way somewhere. This should fix the check engine light and keep the engine bay cleaned up without the whole valve assembly just hanging out in the way!

5DE7DC06-5F18-4E41-A5B7-EBA863DF55C5.jpeg BA1C920F-69FB-4076-898B-2D3537FFAD95.jpeg

Jimmyb

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Wait, I may have another option or two and it may turn out for the best. I went to the garage and decided I was going to pull the egr valve as far apart as I could to see how it works. All of the new diesel trucks use an electric solenoid to control the operation of the egr valve. This one is much simpler by design and is effectively a spring controlled valve and the electrical connector in the top is a plunger that monitors the position of the valve. As you increase exhaust pressure, it overcomes the spring tensions and opens the valve, decrease the pressure it closes. I hope all of this makes sense, but I’m sure pictures will help.View attachment 1760
Disassembled, top of valve, the flex line that connected to cooler and sensor removed from the top.View attachment 1761Bottom of the valve with the flex line disconnected.View attachment 1762And finally the sensor removed, if you look in the top of the valve you can see the spring. So to answer your question of what to do: A) you can remove the flex line and leave it alone because both ends are closed just the open end of the flex line doesn’t give you a warm fuzzy feeling or B) which I like best, take it apart as I did and plug the sensor back in and tie it back out of the way. As it is now, nothing is making the valve travel up and down therefore you should still be code free and not have that big ugly valve just hanging out on the intake tube! Sorry for the long post, but I’ll be more than happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Jimmyb

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Here is my old post on this, click on the image links if it doesn’t show them.

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I rigged up the EGR sensor minus the valve body, and the first time I ran the Roxor all was OK. The next time I drove the vehicle the engine light came on again. The code reader shows three P0405's and one P0403, all EGR related. I don't see any difference in performance, so I have time to explore this further.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have discovered as a lot of other people on here have that we seem to know a hell of a lot more about these machines than the dealers that are selling them. It can be frustrating at times. Not sure why it would matter if you did a delete and removed vs a delete and didn’t remove but that sounds like a line of $hit to me. I can tell you that Diesel Freaks has it figured out and they are very helpful, it might be worth you calling them and just asking some questions about flashing the 19’ with an EGR delete. Then you may be able to educate said local flash company for a fee of fixing your ECM.

Do me a favor and post that statement in every thread. Lot's of people are new to "old tech" including 20 and 30 something year old techs at the dealers.

WShaulis

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just got a kit from Jimmy, great to work with, fast turn around and very complete, Thanks!!!

Warren

Baja405

Lifetime Member
Main reason is it’s cheap insurance because if a cooler fails it puts coolant in the cylinders. Plus removing all of it including the vacuum stuff that is no longer used cleans up the engine bay a lot and gets rid of excess heat when the outside temp heats up. See pics below. Total time to install start to finish should be less than an hour.

View attachment 1544View attachment 1545
Thanks for the kit and all the help, If the custom pipe makes it out let me know. I call BS on an hour, but then again I'm not too bright.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Jimmyb!!!!

Thanks so much for putting this kit together. The directions alone were worth the price. And the plates are perfect. And to see all that crap in a bucket was priceless.

Got the ECU back today with EGR delete and got your kit installed today- Great day in the hood!

Thanks Again!

Pottsie10_4

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I know I am late to the party, but are there still kits available Jimmyb?

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
OK, so this sounds like a good thing to do, and this may be one of those stupid questions, but what exactly is the advantage of doing an EGR delete, other than removing a few parts?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The EGR system actively damages your engine while operating. Removing it will extend the life of your engine.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
EGR fails at the very thing is was designed to do. Since no part of the system it effects is blinked into existence (engine, turbo, etc), they require fuel (in a recursive formula) to create. Therefore it must reduce overall pollution in a manner greater than the offsetting pollution it creates by being an outright horrible idea. It doesn't. Therefore, regardless of what side of the eco debate you land on, removing it is a good idea.

You can add DPF and DEF to the list. It's VERY likley you can add CATs as well, since they require rare earth metals and cause head gasket failures to engines that would not have otherwise died.

DPF might well be the worst idea in automotive history.

runner

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I looked over the EGR delete instructions but still not sure what to do with the coolant lines.