ooooooooooo

What is needed to street legal a Mahindra Roxor?

Ziabeam

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
You have a special use plate. Personally, I would not drive outside my state with that special use plate.

If you don't have a second plate, you don't have normal plates. I know of no states (doesn't mean they don't exist - not an expert) where you do not get two plates, or at least offered a front plate.
New Mexico and Florida (among others) issue rear plates only.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Learn something every day. I stand corrected. Never heard of this.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Not so......My 50,000 Lb motor coach is licensed in Montana ..
Only one plate. I have 2 flat bed open trailers.......only one plate. My Rox...one plate. , we have several class 7 tractors, class 8 too.....only one plate. The only thing I can’t verify is a car and or p/u trucks.

HOTROD87

Montana is front and rear on a car or truck but atv,utv,motorcycle's and trailers are rear plate only.

airstreamcowboy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Update on my attempt to get my Roxor titled in AZ. Met with the inspector at MVD. He was excited to see the Roxor. He had heard a lot about them but it was the first one he had seen. I reviewed my history attempting to get my vehicle licensed. He reviewed the VIN, except it isn't a VIN since it is listed as an offroad vehicle only. He took some pictures and then went inside to contact his boss in Phoenix. After 10-15 minutes, he returned with no good news at all.

1. Too heavy to receive an off road plate. 2. No manufacturer shows up when he does puts in the VIN. Hence, no street legal plate. Soooo, he refused to sign off on the inspection until he heard from Phoenix on how to proceed. No timetable given on Phoenix getting back to him. I did receive a thirty day on road tag for my efforts. I did not ask why they were able to give me a temp tag but not a permanent tag.

Will be calling Nash Powersports shortly to see if they can give any guidance. Any info that you guys may have will be appreciated.

airstreamcowboy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Final update on getting plate for Roxor. After talking to the dealer in Phoenix, I had an epiphany. Do not go to the AZ MVD office. Find one of the authorized 3rd party offices. Easy to find on the AZ MVD website. After finding the location nearest me, I once again gathered my information and took it to their office. Fortunately, the office was only a couple of miles from my work. I laid out my documents and approximately 10 minutes later I had my plates. Even with the premium charged by this 3rd party office, I saved money. Apparently, the clerk at the MVD office incorrectly calculated the sales tax on the Roxor. So, my individual ordeal is over. I hope that these entries help others avoid the hassle of getting plates for this very cool vehicle. Let me repeat one more time. If you buy a Roxor, have the dealer take care of the registration. If you do it yourself, go to a third party office authorized by the state to register vehicles.

Singh242

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Final update on getting plate for Roxor. After talking to the dealer in Phoenix, I had an epiphany. Do not go to the AZ MVD office. Find one of the authorized 3rd party offices. Easy to find on the AZ MVD website. After finding the location nearest me, I once again gathered my information and took it to their office. Fortunately, the office was only a couple of miles from my work. I laid out my documents and approximately 10 minutes later I had my plates. Even with the premium charged by this 3rd party office, I saved money. Apparently, the clerk at the MVD office incorrectly calculated the sales tax on the Roxor. So, my individual ordeal is over. I hope that these entries help others avoid the hassle of getting plates for this very cool vehicle. Let me repeat one more time. If you buy a Roxor, have the dealer take care of the registration. If you do it yourself, go to a third party office authorized by the state to register vehicles.
Are these regular size plates and off road only or both on road and off road ???

B

Bister

FYI: Something that might come up is the headlights if an inspector actually checks them. They are not DOT approved for North America. They are for vehicles that drive on the left hand side of the road. They would have to be changed out I’m thinking. Not sure. Just a thought. I mentioned it to a mechanic that does vehicle inspection in Canada and they would have to be changed here. He ran into this when someone imports a right hand drive vehicle from over seas.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
FYI: Something that might come up is the headlights if an inspector actually checks them. They are not DOT approved for North America. They are for vehicles that drive on the left hand side of the road. They would have to be changed out I’m thinking. Not sure. Just a thought. I mentioned it to a mechanic that does vehicle inspection in Canada and they would have to be changed here. He ran into this when someone imports a right hand drive vehicle from over seas.

I planned on swapping mine out for some LED headlights. They use normal Jeepy connectors.

airstreamcowboy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I had the headlights changed out as part of the street legal upgrade. They are DOT approved and have integrated LED turn signals. Makes for a nice clean look.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
For those looking to make street legal in Oklahoma. I have been talking with my tag agent, who is also my insurance guy for the farm. He thinks that eventually the state will make these able to be licensed in the future, similar to mini trucks. He also told me to watch tagging and registering out of state, because in Oklahoma, the law states that any vehicle driven on Oklahoma roads by a resident must be tagged in Oklahoma within 30 days of residency. If I were to tag my Roxor out of state and drive it with an Oklahoma address, I could be ticketed, fined, and my vehicle impounded. The example he used was, that a few years ago people were tagging their vehicles in Oregon to save on excise tax. Oklahoma took a dim view to that. I'm no legal scholar, but it is worth checking out before getting in trouble. For now I will use my Roxor on the Farm and with my farm triangle on the roads when doing farm work.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Texas farmers and ranchers can drive their Roxors without a license plate legally on the road within 25 miles of their farm. TXDMV.GOV - Off-Highway Vehicles

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 663. CERTAIN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES

I’ve used this before with my Ranger 800 Crew.

When I replace the ranger with a Roxor I’ll put the copy of the law in it and continue driving it on the road. Right now I drive it to town for fuel and car wash plus groceries and beer on the same trip, ?

WALLYGATOR7

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Do you think we can get these street legal in every state. I know we will need basics like turn singles, horn, doors, and a glass windshield. But that is simple addons.
If anyone has any information please let me know.
Thanks.
I have a tag for my Roxor in Florida

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’ve been researching the street legal aspect in Texas using out of state plates. From what I’ve seen so far it doesn’t look like it will work. You have to register it in Texas after 30 days. https://txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/...eements-between-texas-and-other-jurisdictions. Don’t think things would go too well if you have been seen longer than 30 days running around or answer questions wrong. Probably end up with a fine and plates seized. Just speculation but a lot depends on locale and attitude IMO.

I’ve read elsewhere about the South Dakota plates. That won’t work either as the state must have reciprocity for them to be valid on the street. Texas doesn’t offer any. OHV FAQ's — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve been researching the street legal aspect in Texas using out of state plates. From what I’ve seen so far it doesn’t look like it will work. You have to register it in Texas after 30 days. https://txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/...eements-between-texas-and-other-jurisdictions. Don’t think things would go too well if you have been seen longer than 30 days running around or answer questions wrong. Probably end up with a fine and plates seized. Just speculation but a lot depends on locale and attitude IMO.

I’ve read elsewhere about the South Dakota plates. That won’t work either as the state must have reciprocity for them to be valid on the street. Texas doesn’t offer any. OHV FAQ's — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Montana better way, have an LLC that owns Rox. Try and stay off state rds, but sometimes hard too do here in Upper Mi.have small street legal plate and insurance to match.

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Just got off the phone with the Idaho vehicle inspector. He says there is legislation being proposed to address the Roxor and other "heavier or bigger" atv vehicles, but as now, the Roxor will not be permitted on roadways. Maybe next year the legislation changes will allow it but as of now, Idaho will not plate the Roxor for on road use, only off-road stickers will be given for trails etc.
He also stated that they will not allow the Roxor to be plated as a replica vehicle. This sucks!

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Interesting to see how different two neighboring States can be. Environment, topography, both states are alike in many ways. Maybe politics are too blame more than anything else for such a split.