ooooooooooo

What is needed to street legal a Mahindra Roxor?

Moe

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
SE 83
I purchased the turn signal kit from On The Rox and installed it over the weekend. Wanted to say that the kit was very good, took about 2 hours to install, included everything needed and the instructions were easy to follow.

Would recommend to anyone looking to add signals to the Roxor.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
With the grill or just the turn signals? Either way, pics. :p

Moe

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
SE 83
Just the turn signals, I'll get some pics up in the next day or two.

Again, nice kit I think

WildBobcatBill

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Just joined this forum after searching for street legal kit for the Roxor in hopes of buying one to get legal. In the state of West Virginia it will require the use of "Safety Glass" for the windshield (If the vehicle has four wheels contacting the road, then you must have a Safety Glass windscreen and No! A helmet will not work), the title or VIN / Serial Number cannot read "For Off-Road Use Only" (I put this lightly because the worst DMV in my state actually gave me registration for a dirt bike once) and providing you get your hands on the license plate and insurance you must then have horn, all normal vehicle lighting, seat belts and doors must be installed to then take it to pass yearly Motor Vehicle Inspection. However, Joyner makes a side x side that uses a LSV, Low Speed Vehicle license plate and you may have to follow this route, not a fan of the Joyner but it may help in seen how we can legalize the Roxor by following them. Good luck to all and hope this helps

McTaps94

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
In NC you can register as a custom car or as a kit car as well.
What is a Custom-Built Vehicle?
  • A motor vehicle that is completely reconstructed or assembled from new or used parts
  • Will be branded as "specially constructed vehicle"
  • Year of vehicle will be year of assembly.
What is a Replica Vehicle?
  • A motor vehicle which is a replica manufactured from a kit and sold unassembled
  • Titled as the make and year model intended to be replicated
  • Model listed on title is "replica"
  • Will be branded as "specially contructed vehicle"
  • Motorcycles are not titled as replicas.
Once it has a vin and title and all that, you could just to a title transfer to your home state.
Maybe if enough of us want it highway road ready, we could contact a dealership to try it out.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It’s my guess the Rox was designed for off road, and on road as needed. Trying to make it into a street legal on rd vehicle, forget off rd , is the wrong approach . Yes every state is different and in a lot of cases the retro road may be the best way to go. I live in Michigans UP in summer and usually the warmer places the other half of the year. Our Motor Coach is Montana regestered under an LLC. I just got approval to add my new Rox as well, of coarse both are Corp. owned , we are “ members” , all perfectly legal, there are no insurance requirements in Mt.

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve been told to check out a web site called dirtlegal. As for me in SC I send them $500, the MSO, and bill of sale. It will very by state, but for me they will register it in CO and send me title, registration and a CO license plate. I can run on it or then carry that info to the SCDMV and reregister it for the same In SC. Just seems too smooth. I haven’t done it. I’m running all over on the golf car permit.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I officially got it licensed in Texas today. It was difficult but it is possible. It is registered as a mahindra, not a replica.
Question , where do you put the plate ? Lighted fixture ? , retro Willies , I forgot where that was .......inquiring minds want to know.......

Jimmyb

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ll get some more pictures in a little bit

2C1D7825-7FDC-43B5-935E-C58AB5CEA240.jpeg

visbeenk

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I’ve been told to check out a web site called dirtlegal. As for me in SC I send them $500, the MSO, and bill of sale. It will very by state, but for me they will register it in CO and send me title, registration and a CO license plate. I can run on it or then carry that info to the SCDMV and reregister it for the same In SC. Just seems too smooth. I haven’t done it. I’m running all over on the golf car permit.

Hey Bobby I have heard of that company also and this is the route I was thinking of taking once I get my Roxor. They have alot of good reviews online so I assume they are a legit company. Did you contact them and they told you the price and where they would register it? I was thinking of reaching out to them myself as well.

Has anyone else heard of dirtlegal or have used them in the past?

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am on hold for the moment. My local dealer says they have ordered a plate from them. I will advise what I learn.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My question here is , of all the states where your Rox maybe regestered and issued plates ( tags as they say in the South ) is who’s licenseing rules apply when some use is in other states ? In my case my Rox is regestered in Montana where road requirements are very loose, and will be used less than half time ( year ) in Michigan. I am trying to be ready for Mi. Requirements but , whose rules apply , anyone know ?
In Mi. All side by sides are welcome on county and local streets, not state roads . I know of one operator whe was stopped by local police, on a city street for not having a plate , officer thinking the Rox was a road going Jeep ! Some interesting stories will for sure surface from around the States.

General

Founding Member
My question here is , of all the states where your Rox maybe regestered and issued plates ( tags as they say in the South ) is who’s licenseing rules apply when some use is in other states ? In my case my Rox is regestered in Montana where road requirements are very loose, and will be used less than half time ( year ) in Michigan. I am trying to be ready for Mi. Requirements but , whose rules apply , anyone know ?
In Mi. All side by sides are welcome on county and local streets, not state roads . I know of one operator whe was stopped by local police, on a city street for not having a plate , officer thinking the Rox was a road going Jeep ! Some interesting stories will for sure surface from around the States.
Darstar, that's an excellent question. I've been searching for a legitimate answer my entire life! Some states' troopers enforce (right or not) their own laws against vehicles operated in their state (even if just passing through) but registered in another state to an owner whose residence is out-of-state. However, the soundest advice I've ever heard is: drive politely so you don't get pulled over, and if you do, be respectful to the cop, and you'll most likely not get a ticket. With my fleet of unusual vehicles, I get pulled over often, but usually the cop and I end up chatting about the vehicle in a friendly manner, haven't gotten a ticket in >10yrs despite none of my vehicles actually being fully legal in any state.

If anyone (highway/traffic lawyers?) has a legally valid response, I'd love to learn it. However, cops issue plenty of tickets to folks just for driving aggressively or speaking disrespectfully, even if they're following the laws, which the judge throws out in court. I don't mind getting pulled over, but I like to avoid tickets and court dates. In my opinion, as long as it's registered as an on-road vehicle (not off-road only) and insured somehow, a wise driver should be able to avoid truly damaging encounters with the authorities.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Beware IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:

If you have out of state plates, you are still held to the road requirements of the state upon which you are driving, in a general sense. Think of it this way:

The Speed limit in most of WI is 55 or 65 MPH. The speed limit in many southern states is 70MPH. Drive 70MPH in WI "cuz I can do that at home", you can get pulled over and ticketed. They law here says 55, so drive 55. Have the right equipment required for HOW you're driving WHERE you're driving (mirrors, sometimes doors, windshield, lic plate light, etc).

Now, when it comes to a Roxor on road. If you have regular (or designer) road plates for your state, meaning you've gone through the legal registration process whatever it looks like in your state, you are no different than any other out of state vehicle (even if the current state you're driving in would not have granted it through whatever commy reasons they have). That being said, if the state you're driving through require windshield squirters to be considered "road legal", you better have windshield squirters. If your state does not require a front plate but the state you are traveling through does, put the damn front plate on.

If your state allows for Low Speed (Golf Cart) tags or UTV mini-plate tags or whatever, do not try and roll down the highway in another state. That is dumb. Don't be dumb and you will be fine. A cop will pull you over if you break the law in his state/county/town. If you drive a Jeep look-alike from out of state that is following all local ordinances (use of lane, speed, signalling, etc), you will be fine. There is reciprocity (fancy word) among the states for road vehicles plated but not for all special uses. My goal in plating my Roxor is to not be a 'special use'.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Like General said, people get in trouble when they do stupid stuff (speed, swerve, jump curbs, etc). THAT is why they get pulled over. Once pulled over, then people can get in even worse trouble if they haven't got legal requirements (proof of insurance, etc).

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Well, I got my Montana plates today......that’s one plate for the rear. The size is that of a motorcycle , cause , Montana groups all small off/on vehicles together under wording “ quadricycle” . The plate says “ permanent “ at the top above the numbers. It’s one time plate, forever. Along with the registration is a yellow sticker,ID ,numbered and says in big letters PERMANENT. The registration list the vehicle as ROXOR 2 seater , make Mahindra . Below that the words “ street Legal”. Prof of insurance must be carried in the vehicle.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Beware IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:

If you have out of state plates, you are still held to the road requirements of the state upon which you are driving, in a general sense. Think of it this way:

The Speed limit in most of WI is 55 or 65 MPH. The speed limit in many southern states is 70MPH. Drive 70MPH in WI "cuz I can do that at home", you can get pulled over and ticketed. They law here says 55, so drive 55. Have the right equipment required for HOW you're driving WHERE you're driving (mirrors, sometimes doors, windshield, lic plate light, etc).

Now, when it comes to a ROXOR on road. If you have regular (or designer) road plates for your state, meaning you've gone through the legal registration process whatever it looks like in your state, you are no different than any other out of state vehicle (even if the current state you're driving in would not have granted it through whatever commy reasons they have). That being said, if the state you're driving through require windshield squirters to be considered "road legal", you better have windshield squirters. If your state does not require a front plate but the state you are traveling through does, put the damn front plate on.

If your state allows for Low Speed (Golf Cart) tags or UTV mini-plate tags or whatever, do not try and roll down the highway in another state. That is dumb. Don't be dumb and you will be fine. A cop will pull you over if you break the law in his state/county/town. If you drive a Jeep look-alike from out of state that is following all local ordinances (use of lane, speed, signalling, etc), you will be fine. There is reciprocity (fancy word) among the states for road vehicles plated but not for all special uses. My goal in plating my ROXOR is to not be a 'special use'.
. Question ,
“ Put a front plate on”. How can you do that if you do not have one ?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You have a special use plate. Personally, I would not drive outside my state with that special use plate.

If you don't have a second plate, you don't have normal plates. I know of no states (doesn't mean they don't exist - not an expert) where you do not get two plates, or at least offered a front plate.