ooooooooooo

What is needed to street legal a Mahindra Roxor?

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Beware IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:

If you have out of state plates, you are still held to the road requirements of the state upon which you are driving, in a general sense. Think of it this way:

The Speed limit in most of WI is 55 or 65 MPH. The speed limit in many southern states is 70MPH. Drive 70MPH in WI "cuz I can do that at home", you can get pulled over and ticketed. They law here says 55, so drive 55. Have the right equipment required for HOW you're driving WHERE you're driving (mirrors, sometimes doors, windshield, lic plate light, etc).

Now, when it comes to a ROXOR on road. If you have regular (or designer) road plates for your state, meaning you've gone through the legal registration process whatever it looks like in your state, you are no different than any other out of state vehicle (even if the current state you're driving in would not have granted it through whatever commy reasons they have). That being said, if the state you're driving through require windshield squirters to be considered "road legal", you better have windshield squirters. If your state does not require a front plate but the state you are traveling through does, put the damn front plate on.

If your state allows for Low Speed (Golf Cart) tags or UTV mini-plate tags or whatever, do not try and roll down the highway in another state. That is dumb. Don't be dumb and you will be fine. A cop will pull you over if you break the law in his state/county/town. If you drive a Jeep look-alike from out of state that is following all local ordinances (use of lane, speed, signalling, etc), you will be fine. There is reciprocity (fancy word) among the states for road vehicles plated but not for all special uses. My goal in plating my ROXOR is to not be a 'special use'.
. I think safety items, including speed limits are different than regerstation,even size of plates. This is where resaprosty comes in. Not all states recognize this, it’s sort of like tariffs, you scratch my back , I will scratch yours......

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You have a special use plate. Personally, I would not drive outside my state with that special use plate.

If you don't have a second plate, you don't have normal plates. I know of no states (doesn't mean they don't exist - not an expert) where you do not get two plates, or at least offered a front plate.
Ok , but most states do no longer issue 2 plates ? , including Mi. Where I will be using the Roxor in summer.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
What state does not offer 2 plates? I'm sure in many states that require only a rear plate, you can buy just the rear (if you choose that path), but ANY state not offering an option for front plate for street legality in other states is news to me.

Edit: clarified

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If you drive near commy Chicago with no front plate, let alone with a partial road use motocycle plate on the rear, you'll be pulled over and fined faster than you can blink. You might even be forced to abandon your vehicle on spot.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Again the safest approach, if you want to travel out of state with your plated Roxor, is to have the most normal AUTOMOTIVE plate you can get in your state (Hint: this will not be possible in all states). Get a 'normal' plate, on front and rear. Keep active AUTO insurance and be able to prove it. Make sure the vehicle adheres to requirements of the states along the way.

Last edited:

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have no intent driving the Rox to Chicago or anywhere else outside my Stomping grounds , the north woods, , .If I want to go to Chicago I will take my 911 Porsche cab. Top down ! Or the Range Rover. we have lots of trails and county roads with direct access,I have 500 acres behind my house. The problem is many times you may need to drive on state highways for a few miles to reach county roads and or trails. We go berry picking every year and need to drive 25 miles, mostly county roads. I do not want to load up the Rox on trailer every time we want to pick berries.

Reactions: Tim

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
What state does not offer 2 plates? I'm sure in many states that require only a rear plate, you can buy just the rear (if you choose that path), but ANY state not offering an option for front plate for street legality in other states is news to me.

Edit: clarified
I really never heard of front plate options, Mi. Only rear plates. When I go to Chicago ,I have a toll rd pass, they seem to find us with rear only. I lived in il. for many years and like Iowa, they waste money by requiring two plates.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I lived in il. for many years and like Iowa, they waste money.

Coulda' ended it there. lol

Rolling around the Yoop you are likely fine. It's the odds that stack against you while you drive for miles on highways through MN, and to a lesser extent WI.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Rolling around the Yoop you are likely fine. It's the odds that stack against you while you drive for miles on highways through MN, and to a lesser extent WI.
I would stay out of Minn. for sure , unless we would decide to do the circle tour , once more. 1200 miles around the Lake.

Dirt Legal

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If anyone needs assistance in getting their Roxor's legal, don't hesitate to give us a call. We have been getting these plated all over the US. Every state varies, but we are able to get it plated as LSV, MSV, MC, Mini truck, and many other ways depending on your state.

Here's one we just did in Oklahoma!

Currently states we have gotten plates for:

Oklahoma, Florida, South Dakota, Montana.

States we can get them tagged in:

Almost all 50 states but it may be limited to 35-45mph speed limits.

Brandon
www.dirtlegal.com
800-994-7513

ROXOR BLUR.jpg

Last edited:

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If anyone needs assistance in getting their ROXOR's legal, don't hesitate to give us a call. We have been getting these plated all over the US. Every state varies, but we are able to get it plated as LSV, MSV, MC, Mini truck, and many other ways depending on your state.

Here's one we just did in Oklahoma!

Brandon
www.dirtlegal.com
800-994-7513

View attachment 685
I was not happy when I got Montana plate and it was a motorcycle small plate. I am sure Michigan will not like me putting a small plate on a on road legal vehicle the size of a Jeep. !

Dirt Legal

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Every state classifies the vehicle differently. Many states classify the vehicle as a quadricycle or autocycle and issue the smaller sized plates. In many cases, you may not be able to get a full sized plate. Michigan may not like a small plate, but I am sure they like it more then seeing no plate!

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

I have been thinking ( danger ) as I am making a special holder for the mini plate , it just does not look right on so large a vehicle......the other problem, as a result of regerestion this way , is insurance . My agent can not find any carrier that will insure it, us being in Mi. I am guessing that in Montana , used in Montana, one could find insurance.

Dirt Legal

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We work with an insurance company that can get pretty much anything insured. Although they are based in FL, they may be able to get you insured. Contact me and I will put you in touch with them.

Dirt Legal

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Darstar, I received your message but it says " This conversation is closed for new replies. " Feel free to give me a call and I can assist you.

800-994-7513

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Does anybody have a line on a brake light wiring kit? I had the tail light poped out of my roxor and noticed a dual filiment bulb and a place to wire a brake light (I think) I just don't see the wireing.. I did order a blinker kit from on the rox fabrication but I don't think the brake light is addressed in this. This is def a big deal toward getting this bugger road legal:)

General

Founding Member
Does anybody have a line on a brake light wiring kit? I had the tail light poped out of my ROXOR and noticed a dual filiment bulb and a place to wire a brake light (I think) I just don't see the wireing.. I did order a blinker kit from on the rox fabrication but I don't think the brake light is addressed in this. This is def a big deal toward getting this bugger road legal:)
I believe Wyatt at OnTheRox told me that their kit splices into the rear light clusters to activate turn signals etc in the rear. Does it say anything about that in your kit? I think they're working on getting a plug-and-play version, but yours might require splicing.

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I believe Wyatt at OnTheRox told me that their kit splices into the rear light clusters to activate turn signals etc in the rear. Does it say anything about that in your kit? I think they're working on getting a plug-and-play version, but yours might require splicing.
Would that address the brake light issue or just the blinkers?thanks man.

Last edited by a moderator: