ooooooooooo

What is needed to street legal a Mahindra Roxor?

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So much talk about making the Roxor street legal. If you get the tags, can you legally take it on the interstate as well? I wonder how it would handle at 55 or 65 mph? My bet is its really loud in the drivers seat. :p
Runs great at 70 mph. Very stable . A good windshield is a requirement and not the Roxor plastic one. Which will leave its location and become airborne around 70-75, scary.

Driver8

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Runs great at 70 mph. Very stable . A good windshield is a requirement and not the Roxor plastic one. Which will leave its location and become airborne around 70-75, scary.

Ok, yeah. Better DOT windshield is in the plan. But is it highway legal. I don't know if street and highway are necessarily the same are they?

Most rural roads by me are 45 to 55. I'm glad to hear it's good for that.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That depends on the state and county laws, they vary state to state. The Rox is considered a UTV , . In your case I would assume it’s Illinois. There are quite a few Roxor owner on this forum, they can fill you in on where you can travel as is new and after safety mods.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So much talk about making the Roxor street legal. If you get the tags, can you legally take it on the interstate as well? I wonder how it would handle at 55 or 65 mph? My bet is its really loud in the drivers seat. :p
I would not travel the Interstate highway system if at all possible. Sometimes it can be nessary to cross the big road or traver to the next exit, which you should not have a problem with. Most big rds have a 45mph Minimum speed. With a stage 1 tune it will go 70-75 so go from there. Safety first always wherever you travel.

TomV

Did you ever get a full answer on making one legal in CT?
Yes. It’s not possible. If it were a KIT, and sold as a kit, it could be assembled by the owner, and made street legal as a kit, but because it is sold in a fully assembled state it has to meet normal motor vehicle standards and crash testing/safety standards to be legally registered. It cannot be registered as a UTV in CT, because it is over the weight limit for a UTV which is limited to 2000 lbs. The ONLY Avenue is to register it as a farm vehicle, but the owner has to be able to prove that they own property that is taxed as a farm property, which asked to meet specific standards to be designated a recognized farm. Even then, if it were registered as a farm vehicle it can only be operated on public roads between the farm and the nearest fueling station and back. Unfortunately, Connecticut residents have no public lands on which to operate any ATV or UTV, so they often register out-of-state in Massachusetts or New Hampshire to ride ATVs and side-by-side‘s in those states. But the ROXOR is over the weight limit even in those states for a UTV registration,effectively limiting the ROXOR to private land use only, with NO avenue for legal registration.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(

For some reason, my roxor will go highway speed? The speedo stops at the peg at 60 but will drive on past. Mine drives wonderful at speed. Not bad wind noise with windshield and hard top. Very stable. drives straight with no hands on the wheel. Now I did not try a hard left or right avoidance at speed and bet that would be fun but don't want to find out. Short hops on a highway to get from a store to farm or for short distances is great. Drive all over FM roads. no problems cruising along at 60.

BDRAG

Djrmt406

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve had mine up to 70 mph on the highway with no issues in handling. It’s not all that noisy, no worse than driving with the windows rolled down.

one2doo

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am in the insurance business for what that’s worth. Make sure your insurance company knows if you are making it “street legal” with a tag. Most insurance companies are calling it an atv or utv in the contract but do not cover automobiles. The devil is in the details. Commincate with your agent/company.
Thanks for the advice I called sure enough you were right foremost had it off-road only ,only cost me $18.00 more to change it. Thanks Tim

toolsinaction

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If anyone needs assistance in getting their Roxor's legal, don't hesitate to give us a call. We have been getting these plated all over the US. Every state varies, but we are able to get it plated as LSV, MSV, MC, Mini truck, and many other ways depending on your state.

Here's one we just did in Oklahoma!

Currently states we have gotten plates for:

Oklahoma, Florida, South Dakota, Montana.

States we can get them tagged in:

Almost all 50 states but it may be limited to 35-45mph speed limits.

Brandon
www.dirtlegal.com
800-994-7513

View attachment 685
Add

Illinois to that list!

Yes! Dirt Legal can get you legal in Illinois, Full size plates!

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

I take mine on the freeway often. I have a DOT windshield with ECU tuned and it's not as bad as you think. Like surprisingly well. And I've passed several big rigs and been passed too with strong cross winds no issues what so ever. The only down side is the gas station coffee styro foam cups fly out when empty along with any other paper you forgot about.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I would like to know what states offer a full size plate AND how the title is branded. Just seems to me that if you can get a title not branded “Off Road”, then the Roxor could be retitled in any state as an ordinary automobile.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I would like to know what states offer a full size plate AND how the title is branded. Just seems to me that if you can get a title not branded “Off Road”, then the Roxor could be retitled in any state as an ordinary automobile.

Can't DirtLegal answer that? I'm in the process now (on my own), but keeping mum until I have value to add.

bobwhite

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
In Michigan they called it an assembled vehicle. I was just approved. State inspector coming to change my vin Thursday. Full size plate.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Michigan is a go, retitled as assembled roadster or assembled pickup depending on what Secretary of State you go to.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The problem is most states are tied into a national VIN system. The Roxor is listed mostly for insurance and theft reasons. In Michigan the data base is used to determine the cost of sales tax and license plate. The only fool proof way to get street legal everywhere is a rebody and title from before they started using vin numbers. You could wind up with cheap insurance and permanent plates as a vintage vehicle.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So Michigan puts no restrictions on use? All the privileges as any other car/truck?

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So Michigan puts no restrictions on use? All the privileges as any other car/truck?

I was told your Roxor has to be inspected by the sheriff , there are the usual requirements including a windshield washer system..

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I was told your Roxor has to be inspected by the sheriff , there are the usual requirements including a windshield washer system..

Check your laws for ‘open top’ vehicles.

Dirt Legal

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Currently we have only been able to register a roxor with a full size plate in Montana, but it depends on the town, as some towns will issue an MC plate. Ours has a full size plate and is labeled as "LL" which means SUV. Most states will not title it this way though. Most states will still keep the branding of offroad on the title or will label it as "STREET LEGAL" and body type QD (4 wheel motorcycle)

We have yet to see a Roxor registered in Michigan yet after the law changed but that might be the best option at this time. It should make insurance a bit easier as well if the DMV is issuing a new VIN.