ooooooooooo

Max’s Roxor Build

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Got the knuckles painted now time to press in bearings and seals.
d6d09d592c20f371531dc66953ce2053.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anymore photos to share Max? I'm wondering how you're coming along with that build!

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As soon as it stops raining I’ll have the front axle in. I did end up selling my stock axles. A guy gave me $1400 for them. He had plans to stick them in his cj5.

I had to come up with a perch for the diff side of the axle to allow clearance. I had to go with a u bolt elimination style perch to avoid the diff casting. It should work fine and allow me to adjust the wheel base 1 inch either way. It will be attached at 4 points instead of the usual 2.

51bf2bebad4ddfc510605f334ac291ce.jpg

4cb8834c630bb16a864c45cd409e5c51.jpg

I also got steering all figured out. Using FJ80 tie rod ends. Not as big of a taper as 1 tons so the stock pitman arm should still have plenty of material after I ream it to the new size. But the fj80s have a much thicker shank. The ladies love that.

Stock vs fj80

5bc2fddcefe1e3bf1e3f307e13f70251.jpg

Last edited:

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Rick Cecco from ceccoracing.com built me a beautiful set of bumpers. His work is very nice. Can’t wait to get them painted and mounted up. I think they will complement this build nicely. His welds certainly set a high standard for the rest of the build.
96e520a9ee248ae6a1dfaf60e0d30555.jpg

I have plans to build a swing down armored tire carrier to add to the rear bumper. Something that will protect the tire and tub from rear collision and rock damage. Sometimes people want to “help you along” by giving to ya nudge with their front bumper when racing so its got to be stout.

I have a few things coming from ON The Rox that I’m really excited about too. Everyone in the roxor community has been so awesome. Really glad I ended up here.

Last edited:

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Thank's for taking the reigns and trial and erroring for the masses (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Thank's for taking the reigns and trial and erroring for the masses (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
All I know is he needs his own show on motortrend or history channel. Max is one talented fella! And he does all his builds out in the gravel drive way? Man!

BDRAG

Holleyb19

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
View attachment 6046

Kind of stumped on this one. They don’t use bolts this big on 1 ton trucks!.... however I’d much rather have a 1/2in bolt and a poly bushing. The hanger width is only as wide as the 2.5 in spring. And the spring constantly rubs up against the inside of the hangers.
This pretty much eliminates the possibility of an easy swap to a different vehicle spring since everything else uses a flanged bushing making it to wide for the factory hanger.
In order to to a YJ spring in the rear you would pretty much be required to cut the old hanger off and weld on a 3 inch wide hanger in its place. I was really hoping to be able to make this a bolt on kit that be available to anyone but it may not be as simple as I was hoping. I don’t have a problem cutting and welding but I feel like it will deter some people that don’t have access to a welder. Not to mention cutting off the factory tabs on something your still making payments on.

Great Job!! I know everyone would like to have a bolt on, but don’t let that be a deterrent to finishing a kit. I’m one of those guys that has a welder and tools, just not the off-road expertise to come up with a kit. I am really glad that I read through the posts. I want some good suspension movement and was on the verge of purchasing a spring over kit. I would rather keep the spring under with a kit like you’re developing. I, for one, am IN! I can’t wait to see what you come out with.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Great Job!! I know everyone would like to have a bolt on, but don’t let that be a deterrent to finishing a kit. I’m one of those guys that has a welder and tools, just not the off-road expertise to come up with a kit. I am really glad that I read through the posts. I want some good suspension movement and was on the verge of purchasing a spring over kit. I would rather keep the spring under with a kit like you’re developing. I, for one, am IN! I can’t wait to see what you come out with.

I can cut out and send everything that I have so far but you’d be on your own finish the rest. (Driveshafts, shock measurements, etc) I have a guy I’m working with to help me figure out the rest of the kit. I couldn’t afford to buy shocks and drive shafts to test it just to turn around and have to do it again with the new axles so I’m hoping he will help me finish up a few loose ends. Especially now that my stock axles are gone.

Drilling and welding will be necessary for the amount of lift I have now with front and rear yj springs.... But with the 2.5 lift yj springs and a rear shackle lift/pinion angle shim it is 100% bolt on. You’ll get about 4 inches of lift. As seen back in post 97.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
All I know is he needs his own show on motortrend or history channel. Max is one talented fella! And he does all his builds out in the gravel drive way? Man!

BDRAG

Ha don’t know if I want that kind of attention. But if it would pay for a garage build I’m all in

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Test fitting the axle went well..... kind of...

The Toyota high pinion front end is scarily close to the engine skidplate. It clears but that’s in a controlled attempt to max out the suspension. I fear that real world movement may allow the pinion to smack the skid plate under the right conditions. It may end up being necessary to use a track bar.
f2857322c5b4c23d2885396efe367134.jpg

It’s was already a thought to add a track bar to eliminate high speed bump steer. Now it may be necessary to keep the axle on a path that keeps it out of the danger zone.

a5eb050f7315d6c89ea4125c66cc870d.jpg

Won’t really know until I get it sitting on tires and do some more testing.

Last edited:

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Max, are you going to sell the spring hangers for the YJ springs? Not sure if it was mentioned in the previous 5 pages.