Worked on the cage for a few hours this weekend. It’s getting close to what I had in mind. I still need to tie the A,B, and C pillars together down low and ad a few triangles to the roof. Once I’ll done I’ll go back through and gusset all of the major nodes.
There are a few general rules to fallow when building cages. No dead nodes meaning a tube termination without support for 2 differ directions. Every major bend should be treated as a node and supported 3 ways. You should add as many triangles as possible. ITS ALL ABOUT THE TRIANGLES.
Some updated photos of the shop. I still haven’t got to doing the trim work but the shop is up!
After taking a thorough look at the rules for king of the hammers I realized my 6’4 co driver was too tall to pass tech inspection with the seats I had. We had to get a custom seat made with shoulder slots high enough to accommodate him. Luckily I hadn’t welded the cage up yet because now I have to pull it back apart and make room for his giant seat! (The colors match his truck not mine).
I started tackleing moving the fuel tank into the cargo area. The goal is to use the roxor factory sending unit in the new safety cell. I cut a hole in the fuel cell that will accommodate the factory up sending unit and I’m hoping the factory fuel gauge and all will work the same in the new tank. I was able to find all the fittings I need to tie into the factory fuel lines without having to chop anything up. This way I can always get my cargo space back by plopping the stock tank back in. I’ll cover more on this later.
Ultra 4 rules require a fire wall between the passenger compartment and the fuel cell so I’ve been working on a housing to separate the 2. It should be water tight and I’ll still be the use the stock tailgate and leave room for the rear seat.
I’m not the smoothest with the bead roller but it certainly makes the panels a lot stiffer.
While I had the roller out I went ahead and made some roof panels for over the driver and passenger. A roof is required for King of the Hammers.
It’s amazing how much more I’m getting done in a warm well lit shop. The biggest difference I’ve noticed was working on a level surface! No more zeroing out my angle finder for every bend!
Been crazy busy getting this thing done. We have 2 weeks before we leave for the lake bed.
Let’s talk about this fuel tank. Hammers rules require a safety cell and fire wall between the driver and the tank. The specify minimum safety requirements so naturally I wanted to go above and beyond that.
What I decided to do was go ahead and build a water tight compartment to keep fuel out of the occupied area in case of a leak. It’s a full fire wall directing would-be flames away from the driver compartment.
The fuel cell it’s self is a steel can with a plastic cell. The can is to protect the plastic bladder inside. This is a 12 gallon tank from RCI’s rock crawler series.
I wanted to use the factory fuel sending unit to utilize the factory fuel gauge and the in tank lift pump. In order to do this I had to cut a hole in the tank to allow the sending unit to go in and then create a retaining ring to sandwich the unit into the tank securely. I cut the hole in the scented of the tank to minimize fuel starvation when off camber.
I realized the tank was about 2 inches deeper then the stock tank so I would need to extend the unit down 2 inches to be able to pick up all of the fuel. To do this I found some roll pins that were long enough and the right diameter to allow me to extend the pick up down to the bottom of the tank.
Now I’m just waiting on the correct fittings and plugs to tie into the factory fuel lines and wiring. The plug appears to be a Delphi sending unit plug. If it is this would all go together without cutting or splicing any of the factory fuel lines or wiring.