ooooooooooo

Happy to be here

ajeersalil

Supporting Member
Hello Folks!

I just joined this community, and I am very excited to see the new Roxor and to read about all the fun you guys are having. No, I don't own a Roxor yet. I'm a tech guy in Silicon Valley, California, and I am not sure how long it will be before I could buy one and make it street legal in California. Strictly off-road may not be very practical for us here.

So why am I here?! I grew up around these Mahindras in India before I moved here close to 20 years back for grad school. They were just called jeeps (as opposed to 'cars', as if they were a whole category of their own) and even had Jeep badging on them. They weren't only used by just a few sports enthusiasts, but were the mainstays of rural India. My grand folks would load their CJ3b clone with up to 2,000lbs of produce (cocoa, black pepper etc) and would have no issues negotiating the muddy slopes of the lush green Nilgiri rain forests. Jeep owners would run shuttles and taxis to places that were only reachable by jeeps. For us, the Jeep and the Willys name evoked feel good stories of America and WW-2, and our association with America during the war. Those stories played a big role in my admiration for American ingenuity, and my decision to pursue higher technical education in the US. 20 years later, I am a proud US citizen, having sworn to taking arms to defend this country.

The CJ7ish MM540 was introduced around 1988, and were adopted mainly by the urban users. The folks in the muddy mountains still stuck to the more utilitarian CJ3b clones until its production was stopped in 2010 when both the models were replaced by the Thar. There are still tons of them plying the mountain roads, and towns relying exclusively on them for transportation.

I see people compare the Roxor to side-by-sides and get excited that these are shaft driven and not belt driven. I think they have not even begun to scratch the surface. Get it, guys... this is a real Jeep! Its too bad I cannot get my hands on a Roxor yet, But I will be visiting India for Christmas 2018 and can't wait to get my hands on the wheels of one of the Mahindra Jeeps.

If you guys are looking for info, or to import any Thar accessories for your Roxor, I may be able to give you guys some pointers.

Cheers, and Enjoy your Roxor!

Last edited:

toolsinaction

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Welcome to the forum, I agree it's a real Jeep! Maybe when you go to India you can load up on aftermarket that bumpers and accessories.

jdlee

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Welcome! The biggest thing we are looking for is a wire diagram for the Roxor. That would be an awesome find!

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
An interesting story. Your point seems to be made in the last sentence. You can import Thar parts? Please post info and parts available for the Thor that will work on the ROXOR.

Shortbus

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ajeersalil, greetings from the awesome off-roading state of Arizona which happens to be your neighbor of course. Off-road tag and mirrors we are good to ride on any street except the freeway ha ha. I understand the issue you’re having In commiefornia and soon you will be taxed for the air you breathe and the gas you expelled because you pollute methane. Awesome to hear how the roxor Holds up and I love to hear that little diesel purr sounds like a big kitty cat. Yes any parts would be awesome as there’s not too many out right now so you might find a new business with a little bit of mark up?

Norseman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
LE#62
Hello Folks!

I just joined this community, and I am very excited to see the new Roxor and to read about all the fun you guys are having. No, I don't own a Roxor yet. I'm a tech guy in Silicon Valley, California, and I am not sure how long it will be before I could buy one and make it street legal in California. Strictly off-road may not be very practical for us here.

So why am I here?! I grew up around these Mahindras in India before I moved here close to 20 years back for grad school. They were just called jeeps (as opposed to 'cars', as if they were a whole category of their own) and even had Jeep badging on them. They weren't only used by just a few sports enthusiasts, but were the mainstays of rural India. My grand folks would load their CJ3b clone with up to 2,000lbs of produce (cocoa, black pepper etc) and would have no issues negotiating the muddy slopes of the lush green Nilgiri rain forests. Jeep owners would run shuttles and taxis to places that were only reachable by jeeps. For us, the Jeep and the Willys name evoked feel good stories of America and WW-2, and our association with America during the war. Those stories played a big role in my admiration for American ingenuity, and my decision to pursue higher technical education in the US. 20 years later, I am a proud US citizen, having sworn to taking arms to defend this country.

The CJ7ish MM540 was introduced around 1988, and were adopted mainly by the urban users. The folks in the muddy mountains still stuck to the more utilitarian CJ3b clones until its production was stopped in 2010 when both the models were replaced by the Thar. There are still tons of them plying the mountain roads, and towns relying exclusively on them for transportation.

I see people compare the Roxor to side-by-sides and get excited that these are shaft driven and not belt driven. I think they have not even begun to scratch the surface. Get it, guys... this is a real Jeep! Its too bad I cannot get my hands on a Roxor yet, But I will be visiting India for Christmas 2018 and can't wait to get my hands on the wheels of one of the Mahindra Jeeps.

If you guys are looking for info, or to import any Thar accessories for your Roxor, I may be able to give you guys some pointers.

Welcome! You need to get one and do the Rubicon trail! India meets California!:)

I did a quick search of Nilgiri..... looks like steep jungle, kinda like south America, except for Elephants! Very cool....but I dont do well with heat and humidity.

throttleitout

Hello Folks!

Hey,
Looks like you just revived my nostalgia.
I grew up in a very similar place, are you from Karnataka?..and do you own a Mahindra Jeep back in India?..

throttleitout

Welcome! The biggest thing we are looking for is a wire diagram for the Roxor. That would be an awesome find!
@jdlee
That would be the most difficult thing to find here in India. Maybe I will be able to get you a top secret Government file but not service manual..:)..sorry friend that's the culture here. Service manuals/ diagrams are almost impossible to find here.