ooooooooooo

Electric fan install require radiator to be removed to mount?

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Want to put Spal Dirt Legal/ebay electric fan on the Roxor .. so... can it be installed with radiator installed ? If not, do you have to remove the grill to get the radiator out ... As far as mounting the shroud on the radiator, some say also they bolt right up ,others say you have to modify the shroud with mounting tabs . Anyone installed one of these? thank you all .....

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Electric cooling fans are much more efficient pulling rather than pushing. But I understand the desire to install it as a pusher, due to the safety of it being behind the giant void in front of the grill. To remove the grill, all you have to do is pull. It is held in by plastic body clips. No need to remove the radiator.

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Looks like you are supposed to use self tappers as shown in the picture on diesel freak. However the location of the screw heads in that picture leads me to believe this is not an ideal solution

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes that what i mean...also the heat sensor should go in the inlet hose but they have it in the outlet ..you want the fan to come on after the radiator has cooled the water ...

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes that what i mean...also the heat sensor should go in the inlet hose but they have it in the outlet ..you want the fan to come on after the radiator has cooled the water ...
There appears to be nowhere to plug that sensor in to on the roxor

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
the sensor goes in the pipe nipple supplied (well at least for me it was ),then you cut the radiator hose put in the hose ...

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
the sensor goes in the pipe nipple supplied (well at least for me it was ),then you cut the radiator hose put in the hose ...
I bought the diesel freak kit. I do not have any pipe nipple.

16078937906401166349223052260594.jpg

I'm wondering if this plug is the same thread pitch as the thermoswitch, pretty sure it's on the outlet side but one could source a lower temperature switch to cover that issue.

16078937906401166349223052260594.jpg

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thats not a good place for the sensor imo. You want it after the radiator before the water pump ,the lower hose . i will try to post pictures of the nipple. i got one off e bay for 8.00 it fits in the hose and has a bung in it.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I would be very careful using self tappers that close to the radiator (you don't wanna Knick anything). I bought the same kit from DF and haven't installed it yet.

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
E bay # 163314253463 is a 38mm bung adapter ....about $6.50 ..super deal ...you may need to drill and retap the bung to fit your sensor .i got one and is much better than the one in the kit ...........

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I noticed that the bottom hose is very close to the fan, it looks like it might have rubbed.

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thats why I think the electric fan is a better idea ....and when I install it in my hose i will try to leave extra so it will bend away from any thing that could touch it

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The picture on df website makes it look like they drilled directly into the radiator..

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Pretty sure I just won the internet with my undeniable "discount store genius" over here.

That plug I'm touching in the picture is actually in the thermostat housing, I thought it was the water pump or something. Doesn't look like a thermostat housing to me, not does it look like a water pump...

Anyway, Wade at diesel freak uses that plug for the thermoswitch, and in a way I can't yet comprehend screws the shroud into what appears to be the radiator...

Wade is working on an install vendor. Their manufacturer didn't give instructions either. If he gives me permission I'll share his photos.

He did state that they pull the radiator to install the shroud.

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Again the best place for the switch is lower radiator hose or there abouts ....if you could put it in the radiator there that would be best ..

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Again the best place for the switch is lower radiator hose or there abouts ....if you could put it in the radiator there that would be best ..
That may be so, but I don't believe it'll be a huge issue on a diesel. Especially one so small. In theory you could get a switch that activated at a lower temperature for the same effect. Also I'm pretty sure this fan is beyond overkill.

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg
IMG_3686.jpg
IMG_3687.jpg

They've been doing it this way for a few years without issue, so I think this is going to be a great solution. Maybe (doubt) I'll find a way to install without pulling the rad. Possibly a pneumatic drill would provide enough clearance? (Super doubt)

Obviously there is enough material on the outside of the rad that you can drill into without spilling any water. This is good information to have. It also looks like they used the two notches on either side of the fan shroud (4 total) for screw placement, so lining it up should be no trouble at all.

IMG_3684.jpg IMG_3685.jpg IMG_3686.jpg IMG_3687.jpg