ooooooooooo

vibration at 1200 RPM turned out to be fractured skid plate

JMB3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
For a few weeks now I've had an annoying harmonic vibration/buzz/rattle that occurs at 1200 RPM engine speed. I finally figured out that the left rear mounting ear on my Mahindra engine oil pan skid plate had fractured off. I guess I'll be looking to replace it with some other manufacturer's design. I don't think I've hit anything with the skid plate. It has to have been metal fatigue.
DSCF9566 (1024x682).jpg

DSCF9566 (1024x682).jpg

DSCF9566 (1024x682).jpg

Last edited:

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
For a few weeks now I've had an annoying harmonic vibration/buzz/rattle that occurs at 1200 RPM engine speed. I finally figured out that the left rear mounting ear on my Mahindra engine oil pan skid plate had fractured off. I guess I'll be looking to replace it with some other manufacturer's design. I don't think I've hit anything with the skid plate. It has to have been metal fatigue.View attachment 5574

View attachment 5574

View attachment 5574

What metal is the skid plate made from? The stress fracture can fool me, but it looks like aluminum or diecast metal.

Doug

JMB3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
What metal is the skid plate made from? The stress fracture can fool me, but it looks like aluminum or diecast metal.

Doug
According to the web page it's made out of "6061 T6 aluminum". I should note that the one I bought a year ago was a different part number (0206AUA00041N) . I'm not sure what the differences are, but I assume they were both made of the same stuff.

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Any chance of warranty replacement? Especially if it was installed by the dealer. I'm not sure what kind of possible mistakes one could make in installing one of these.

JMB3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I dunno. I'm not going to sweat it. I installed it myself since, at the time, the nearest dealer was 150 miles away. I torqued all the fasteners according to spec.

B

Bister

I dunno. I'm not going to sweat it. I installed it myself since, at the time, the nearest dealer was 150 miles away. I torqued all the fasteners according to spec.
Have your dealer that you bought it from put in a claim, they will need your mileage and hours. The worst that can happen is that Roxor turns it down. You ave nothing to lose.

MAGAHAWK

Hmm ...... :unsure: had to remove mine (factory install std on 2019 models) when I did my first oil change because the access hole in the skid plate did not line up with the drain plug and would not allow a socket to fit. The plate felt rather heavy so I'm thinking it was steel but didn't really pay close attention. Next oil change I plan on enlarging the hole to allow a socket to fit. Poor design and quality control. Looking at the close up photo of the broken unit on this post I am going to say it looks like a defect in some very cheap metal possibly caused by debris contamination during mfg or excessive stress during the forming process. In either case very disappointing to see. Good job listening to your rig and what it was telling you.

Bhayarock

Have your dealer that you bought it from put in a claim, they will need your mileage and hours. The worst that can happen is that Roxor turns it down. You ave nothing to lose.
Exactly I think by highlighting your issue you will be doing them and others a favor so that they can fix it for future ..in case it's a material or design issue.
If you wanna highlight an issue always first complain to the dealer or manufacturer... internet comes second for sympathy or advice.

MAVROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hmm ...... :unsure: had to remove mine (factory install std on 2019 models) when I did my first oil change because the access hole in the skid plate did not line up with the drain plug and would not allow a socket to fit. The plate felt rather heavy so I'm thinking it was steel but didn't really pay close attention. Next oil change I plan on enlarging the hole to allow a socket to fit. Poor design and quality control. Looking at the close up photo of the broken unit on this post I am going to say it looks like a defect in some very cheap metal possibly caused by debris contamination during mfg or excessive stress during the forming process. In either case very disappointing to see. Good job listening to your rig and what it was telling you.
I had the same problem. All i had to do is loosen the bolts and slide it in position over the hole.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I used a socket on the drain plug when I installed mine. It made sure I could get one on come oil change time.

Jefdry79

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Anyone come up with roxor fixing the cracked skid plate. Mine just broke in the same location. My dealer is closed, so I can’t call them right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary K. Rogers

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
For a few weeks now I've had an annoying harmonic vibration/buzz/rattle that occurs at 1200 RPM engine speed. I finally figured out that the left rear mounting ear on my Mahindra engine oil pan skid plate had fractured off. I guess I'll be looking to replace it with some other manufacturer's design. I don't think I've hit anything with the skid plate. It has to have been metal fatigue.View attachment 5574

View attachment 5574

View attachment 5574
Mine fractured at the same location. It was a dealer install. I have about 550 miles and have hit nothing with skid plate. Looks like a stress fracture. I'm going to contact dealer and see if they will replace via claim, etc.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Given what the break looks like from such low miles, I would hate to see the aftermath of it actually getting used as a skid plate

Gary K. Rogers

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I was thinking the same thing ... disposable skid plate ... One Bump and Gone! I was not impressed. I have one of the On The Rox plates epoxied on the base of the oil pan, and from what my usage has been thus far (i.e. fields and dirt/gravel/paved roads), I think I'll just run that way for the time being ... not being a rock crawler, etc.

viper

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anyone come up with roxor fixing the cracked skid plate. Mine just broke in the same location. My dealer is closed, so I can’t call them right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine started making a noise at 1200 RPM and would go away around 1220 RPM Kind of sounded like a loose heat shield on a old car. Turned out the left rear corner had cracked off were it bolts to the block. I can see were I hit it on something just below were it fractured. It is aluminum so I just happen to have a aluminum welder at the shop so I welded it. All fixed for now I guess