ooooooooooo

Turn Signal Install

Renegade6

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I finally got around to installing turn signals. I based this off of some of the other products for sale, but I have enough experience doing wiring so, being cheap, I came up with my own kit. I differed from other instructions in that for the front marker/turn signal lights I tied into the harness for the side marker lights instead of the vehicle harness. Additionally, I used a LED flasher as standard flashers don't work great, if at all with LED bulbs. The Grote 48072 turn signal switch kit comes with the switch as well as the harness you need to hook it up. It also comes with a wiring diagram on where to hook everything up.

The key harness in the vehicle is the one that comes off of the brake switch.

Other than wire and a flasher I purchased at a parts store, these are the parts I used.

-Partsam Pair 3/4" Mini Marker Clearance Light Turn Signal Light 1 Diode Amber Light,3 Wires https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019BT79NG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Grote 48072 Turn signal switch kit

Pictures below.

20180908_160502.jpg20180911_105900.jpg20180911_105952.jpg20180908_113203.jpg20180908_113205.jpg20180908_113208.jpg20180908_155946.jpg20180908_160755.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I also brewed my own. It was simple stupid and not $300. I need to get that Grote turn signal switch. In the meantime...

I'm out of the area until the 27th. I will resume by buying a proper turn switch.

I left the stock wiring alone and laid down a new drop with wires I had on hand. I saw trailer light wires available for $10 at autozone which would be ideal. I followed factory harness route.

IMG_5566.jpg

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So I see that the yellow with red (if I remember correctly) that is also wired with the front marker is the Thar's turn signal. They don't use it as a side marker over there.

At 2:21

Shortbus

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey 303, good job on the turn signals I might still your ideal. I see you are from Arizona as I am and they sent me an RV plate. It seems like I remember reading in one of your post you have yours registered to run the road like a side-by-side with the motorcycle plate in our state, can you tell me how you did that?

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's cool but the xtc kit is worth every penny. It includes far better materials and craftsmanship than shown above. Not knocking your signals. Just saying that if you want for it to truly be integrated as if made that way, the xtc kit is the only option. Everything else looks like a cheap aftermarket after-thought.
Mahindra Roxor Plug & Play™ Turn Signal System uses Factory Rear Lights

Renegade6

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's cool but the xtc kit is worth every penny. It includes far better materials and craftsmanship than shown above. Not knocking your signals. Just saying that if you want for it to truly be integrated as if made that way, the xtc kit is the only option. Everything else looks like a cheap aftermarket after-thought.

The XTC kit is nice however, the $200 more that it cost than the one I used could be put for other things. The other part is I like having the switch mounted on the steering column.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey 303, good job on the turn signals I might still your ideal. I see you are from Arizona as I am and they sent me an RV plate. It seems like I remember reading in one of your post you have yours registered to run the road like a side-by-side with the motorcycle plate in our state, can you tell me how you did that?

I’m sure they screwed up. It’s over 1800 lbs so you should have paid VLT when you reg it. They had MC plates for me before I even asked.
Just go to any MVD third party business or the actual MVD and tell them you want to register it for on highway use. VLT fees should have been paid already. It’s like $230.

And they’ll ask you to fill out an affidavit saying you have head lights, brake light, horn and license plate light. That’s it.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

My switch is cheap and cheesy. Both are made in China but I wanted a paddle toggle instead of rocker toggle. I don’t have 4 way flasher yet. Other than that I guarantee Rigid A series LED is the best light of that type on the market and not cheap. And a flasher relay is just that. Not sure how high tech a flasher can be if a current Mercedes and BMW still use flasher relays.

I have no problem saying whomever is charging more than $100 for turn signal kits is over charging. Maybe $125 tops if they use some top notch lights like those Rigid ones I use.

Last edited:

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Amazon update:
The Grote 48072 went up in price from $47 dollars to $58 bucks and became prime delivery since last night. I guess they are seeing how popular its getting. But Im still going this route.

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey guys, I’ve installed car amplifiers, capacitors, and speakers in my Trailblazer before, but for the turn signals im stuck. I can’t get the Grote turn signal to light the leds lights inside the turn signals. The diagram has both the right front lights and right rear light attaching to the black wire. Well each light has a positive and a negative, so I have 4 wires to attach to a single black wire, it didnt work. I havent tried grounding the negative wires to the frame and attaching the positives to the black wire. Any ideas or duh’s ?
D549730D-884F-4B09-A73F-38A1B80B03FC.jpeg

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I used a 900 switch but it’s very similar.
From what I am seeing you need to wire the positives from the right signals to the black wire and the negatives to the frame.
I utilized the factory rear signal so I didn’t have to ground it and I grounded the new front signal to the bottom bolt that holds in the headlight.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I grounded all mine to the frame if that helps

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just got my XTC kit and its worth every penny. I'm sure the 95 dollar kit is fine if your on a tighter budget. However the XTC kit is top quality and since it connects with the original tail lights it'll look more like a street legal jeep on the road.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ok. I’ve done some update on my turn and 4 way flasher using a EP34 flash relay, a on-off-on and a on-off rocker switch, two amber LED lights and I tapped into the two unused incandescent lights already in the tail lights. The Switches cost around $10 to $15 and the flasher unit was around $15z. So around $35 to $40 for above mentioned, whatever you want to spend on the 2 amber front lights, wire, connector, and shrink tubing. My a series amber Rigid lights cost me nothing as I already had them laying around and they were given to me. The EP34 flasher is both LED and incandescent bulb compatible. I can vouch they work fine. I already had the wires, connectors, tubing. My cost as it’s now is around $60. I’ve seen amber LED 3/4” hole for around $8 ea. So I can’t see someone going more than $100 for this set up.

It’s simple and cheap. Just some applied knowledge, not that we wire up turn signals on a daily basis. And many can learn from my mistakes such as water proof that flasher relay. And better splice points.

So I’m going to say, I’ve seen the XTC and other turn signal kits. Honestly they are way over priced to the point I see them taking advantage of their customers. If that’s harsh then so be it. No sense in sugar coating it. So if adding $150 to $200 more just to avoid a few extra minutes of work is worth it then rock on. These kits still require you tap into a power and ground, the work required to lay out the wires is the same amount of work as just doing it yourself. My splicing work is way solid and weather proof by using uninsulated crimp connectors, a good crimp tool and shrink tubing to seal it up. So you might learn something new and I don’t have a problem sharing my knowledge.

My set up is simple and requires just a simple learning curve to have the 4 way flashers on and darn near exact function as the $300 kits. I say darn near because I can do without back lit switches and one turn signal has to be on to make the 4 way work. It’s not rocket science.

So stand by as I will update this info in a new thread titled the under $100 turn signal and 4 way flasher.

Entglass51

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Looks good, I also used the factory upper light in the stock light wasn't being used, Omix-ADA black turn switch with flashers $34.00 Amazon, up front I used 3/4" led in the Bumper for now, CEC EF33RL for flasher, had a 2 prong flasher at first it didn't make noise, so put the CEC
call me old school but I'm used to the click click click sound when signals are on, just a little reminder they are on