ooooooooooo

transfer case seal

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Found out the other day my front seal is leaking.
is this a big job to replace?, not driving it for fear of doing additional damage.
don't remember hitting anything hard, when I go on the lake trail I use 4lo 2 gear, 1st in 4h is too fast for the trail, too bouncy
left a message with the dealer to find out where I can get a seal.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am just now doing this repair. posted a thread this past week on it with a good link to show how to do it. Go ahead and get the seal - I had to wait on mine- should be in in a few days. My local autoparts stores didn't seem to be able to find it. It's less than $11 from the dealer. I will find the post and add in a few minutes.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Last edited:

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Here's the link to that post. Had a little trouble and need opinions - Team ROXOR Forum - Unofficial Mahindra ROXOR Off-road Community!
Be sure and mark everything really good so it won't rub off because folks say that it's really important to get everything back together just as before. I think if you have any mechanical experience at all , you can do this. I do basic greasy stuff here on the farm and this went pretty smooth so far- I'm a lady and consider it not bad at all.
I cannot find the correct size square driver to drain my transfer case fluid, the dealer is trying too find out also

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm still waiting on my seal from the dealer to come in so haven't gotten that far.. They are sure slow - close Sunday and Monday so tomorrow needs to be the day .
I bought one of those little transfer pumps that screw on a gallon jug and both the Lucas gear oil and it comes in tomorrow too. I'm way behind in my farm work because of the slowness of getting the part. I told the parts guy that if they sell the machine maybe should have parts handy.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just went down to the barn and removed my front plugs with a # 10 metric allen . The plug on the drain has a magnet and there was a blob of gunk on it so I would suggest members not forsake the recommended change. Mine has about 400 miles on it maybe a bit more...
My b-i-l bought the set a few months ago and they are so very much better than the ones L shaped.

KIMG0278.jpgKIMG0279.jpg

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
A similar set is on amaz on for around 30 dollars.

MAGAHAWK

Industrial supply houses that specialize in bearings and seals can easily match up most any seal you need. Take in your old part and they will measure for exact specs. Chances are you will get a much higher quality product than OE and a competitive price as well. Don't know exactly where you are located in Alaska but a quick google search shows six (6) suppliers in Anchorage alone. If a member out there does this would be great if they could post the brand and part number for others to reference.

MAGAHAWK

I just went down to the barn and removed my front plugs with a # 10 metric allen . The plug on the drain has a magnet and there was a blob of gunk on it so I would suggest members not forsake the recommended change. Mine has about 400 miles on it maybe a bit more...
My b-i-l bought the set a few months ago and they are so very much better than the ones L shaped.

View attachment 4262View attachment 4263
As you probably know, that "blob of gunk" that you refer to is actually ultra fine break-in shavings from internal parts that are made of steel. (Gears,etc) held together with gear lube when they come in contact with the magnet.
Very common during the new mechanical break-in process. You will find that same issue on all four boxes - front and rear diff's, transfer case and transmission - as well as the engine - although much less so because of the engine oil filter process. So, while you're under there you should probably service all 4 units and "gitrdun" You'll feel better and your ROXOR will too!!

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I agree. :) I'm in MS and "thought it would have been in, in a few days with the dealer but nada. I had misshapened the inside of the seal taking it out where it goes around the shaft so a match doing that was out. If I had known about the dealers slowness I would have gotten out my calipers and measured it. Should have done that dog gone it.
I changed the engine oil and it was black before this happened like 3 weeks ago- man is that synthetic high @$8 a qt. I was surprised that they recommend synthetic on breaking in an engine. Wrong thread for talking about that I know . Will check other threads.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Kyle Maki posted on the Facebook groups a few weeks ago that Mahindra had a warehouse fire. Had pics up too. Then I saw he was trying to help an owner who was having a problem with his dealer fixing an axle issue I think. Said he’s low on parts cause of the fire. I bet that’s what’s happening to your seal order. At this point I’d just find one elsewhere and if nothing else keep the factory one as a spare on hand once it comes in.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
ooooh shoot, that is bad news !!!! I start searching around jackson. Can anyone tell me who makes that front end differential ? Thanks ! collie

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks Magahawk. That does sound right. I read somewhere about it but can't find the article now - this is a good place to start.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Have them look up an early 50’s cj3 or CJ5 if your going the car parts store route otherwise take the old seal on to a bearing and seal place. Either way have the old seal in hand when you go shopping.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks Txroadkill. I'll take it although I ruined the inner part of the seal when prying it out, but will measure the shaft and go forth with it.

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

View attachment 4262View attachment 4263
Mine is square, my regular 1/4, 1/2 drivers did not work, the dealer is going to check with the Snap on van when it come into the shop

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My transfer case is square too. also checked the drivers as you did on it and nada.. thinking they must be metric as well I'm going to go and measure it and see what I can find. I did remove the check plug on that transfer case and no oil came out -felt with my finger and couldn't get any on it either. Any way, thats irritating on a new machine. Post please when you find the size before I do . collie .

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My transfer case is square too. also checked the drivers as you did on it and nada.. thinking they must be metric as well I'm going to go and measure it and see what I can find. I did remove the check plug on that transfer case and no oil came out -felt with my finger and couldn't get any on it either. Any way, thats irritating on a new machine. Post please when you find the size before I do . collie .
I went on and ordered an 8mm but I think it could be a 9mm. anyways. Waiting on a return call to find out whats up - the dealer- said he was going to give the supplier a call because the tracking on the package wasn't working.. May need to hit the road with seal and other measurements in hand- like ya'll suggested already.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Blek... that was the seal warehouse that burned too. Now beating the pavement - no luck yet.