ooooooooooo

Steering making loud squeal during turn, knocking in front suspension

Baja405

Lifetime Member
Steering making loud squeal during a tight turn to the left, knocking in the front suspension. Just picked up my new LE yesterday and while I was there I noticed that the steering was making a horrible squealing when I turn all the way to the left and a knock or pop in the front end. The salesman said all of them do this but after a short while it will go away. I took him at his word then drove 2 1/2 home and low and behold it's still a problem after using it today and last night. Anyone else have this problem? I should never have left until it was fixed but I had to get back home.

one2doo

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Tighten power steering belt. Also tighten all the bolts in the front mine were loose.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It’s very common on hydraulic power steering for the belt to squeak when you turn all the way to the left or right. My gmc truck always did that. The solution : don’t turn it all the way :). Also check the bolts as others have said.

Baja405

Lifetime Member
It’s very common on hydraulic power steering for the belt to squeak when you turn all the way to the left or right. My gmc truck always did that. The solution : don’t turn it all the way :). Also check the bolts as others have said.

I don't think its a common thing IMHO.

RCF

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I haven’t had that problem with mine shouldn’t squeal I’d do like others suggested and tighten belt , on hard right turns u can get a small clunk where upperdrag link hits differential cover slightly doesn’t seem to hurt anything ?

Baja405

Lifetime Member
I haven’t had that problem with mine shouldn’t squeal I’d do like others suggested and tighten belt , on hard right turns u can get a small clunk where upperdrag link hits differential cover slightly doesn’t seem to hurt anything ?
Thanks, I will check the belt again but it does feel tight. Thank was my first thought also.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Also check fluid level. Could be low or have air in the system that needs purging.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I found all fluids low and all bolts needed to be torqued. All my weird noises went away and I have not had any more problems. Quality control at the factory is not what it should be. But it’s a good vehicle just has a few quirks. I use mine hard on the farm.

Creed

I have had 8 unit that had a bad clamp on the ps pump feed hoses and this cause all the fluid to leak out they all made the noise your describing make sure to check this too it’s the blue hose

Baja405

Lifetime Member
I have had 8 unit that had a bad clamp on the ps pump feed hoses and this cause all the fluid to leak out they all made the noise your describing make sure to check this too it’s the blue hose
Will do but showing no leaks on the floor of garage

KPelkey

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Had mine for almost a year power steering always squeals when I turn it all the way it's normal. I get popping noises in the front end as well. Old technology or dealing with here my friend. The popping is just the leaf spring bushings no worries!!

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yeah, same here. Squeals, creaks, noises. It's old tech. Low tech. And yes, my old trucks, Jeeps and FJ40 Land Cruiser PS ALL squealed when turning full lock, or weather changing. Even did the soap bar thing. Now, I just ignore it. It is what it is. It's no Lexus.

Baja405

Lifetime Member
Yeah, same here. Squeals, creaks, noises. It's old tech. Low tech. And yes, my old trucks, Jeeps and FJ40 Land Cruiser PS ALL squealed when turning full lock, or weather changing. Even did the soap bar thing. Now, I just ignore it. It is what it is. It's no Lexus.
I have driven 2 roxors prior to purchasing this one and none of them made this noise in steering, It cannot be normal.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have driven 2 roxors prior to purchasing this one and none of them made this noise in steering, It cannot be normal.
Mine didn't start to squeal and creak until after about 500 miles. Really, it's not biggie. I just did 200 miles in some dusty conditions and a few weeks back snow and mud. I've racked another 1500 since.

Until it leaks or quits working I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure the belt has proper tension. Usually squealing is a loose or worn belt. When vehicles went to serpentine belts with tensioners the full lock, or when ever it friken felt like it, squeal went away with the V belts for the most part. Best I can describe the squeal is a result of the drive (crank) pulley and the PS pulley turnng at different speeds. At full wheel lock more pressure is required to spin the PS pulley hence the crank turning at faster speed than the PS pulley. It's momentary. This is of course if the belt isn't worn, contaminated, or if the pulley friction surface didn't develop a polished slicker surface or plain worn out. Change in climate conditions will also affect belt tension.

The creaking and popping, well my CJs did the same although this seems more pronounced. I will revisit tightening all bolts to specs.

B

Bister

I had a clunking that was getting worse. I greased and snugged up my shackles, I had one that was worse than the rest, my clunking is now gone. 1700 miles.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I had a clunking that was getting worse. I greased and snugged up my shackles, I had one that was worse than the rest, my clunking is now gone. 1700 miles.
I was just eye balling those zerk fittings today. I bet the craoking and clunking will be diminished after a few pumps on the grease gun.

Baja405

Lifetime Member
Just spoke to the service department (Martin) Manager how told me that the squealing was not common with the Roxor. He was guessing that the best or the pump was the problem. I live 2 1/2 hours away but offered to come and pick it up and bring back to me. Now that is what I call service and customer satisfaction. If you guys live near Mississippi I highly suggest Hattiesburg Cycles.