ooooooooooo

Steering clunk

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So haven't drive my roxor to much been doing modifications. I installed the Rough country leveling kit and then sent off Computer to be tuned. This is first time driving. Just at initial turn clunk sounds like at steering column. Does it need to be aligned after the level kit? Wonder if that will fix whatever is slightly off?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@CJ2Rox: let me know what you find because my Roxor with the On the Rox shackle reversal also makes the steering clunk sound.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@txroadkill: thanks for reminding me of that post.
Does the drag bar twist only happen at the extreme left / right turns of the steering wheel)?
When the vehicle is stopped, I get the clunk sound no matter how far the steering wheel is turned. All it takes is a fraction of a turn on the steering wheel from left to right. The steering components load up and then release (clunk) when I turn the steering wheel the other way.

I will need to find a buddy to turn the steering wheel while I'm under the front and looking and listening. Thanks for the pointer.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Got me thinking after I did the level I never re greased the fittings

PineCreek

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Get this, I did the Rough Country, this tool slop out and also greasing it all up.
“The cure”

PineCreek

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Does the drag bar twist only happen at the extreme left / right turns of the steering wheel)?
When the vehicle is stopped, I get the clunk sound no matter how far the steering wheel is turned. All it takes is a fraction of a turn on the steering wheel from left to right. The steering components load up and then release (clunk) when I turn the steering wheel the other way.

I will need to find a buddy to turn the steering wheel while I'm under the front and looking and listening. Thanks for the pointer.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

It doesn’t take much to twist the drag bar. It’ll start twisting immediately upon turning the steering wheel and will twist until it bottoms out and when it does that’s the clunk you hear. All turning motion is put into the twist first then it translates to actual wheel movement.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It doesn’t take much to twist the drag bar. It’ll start twisting immediately upon turning the steering wheel and will twist until it bottoms out and when it does that’s the clunk you hear. All turning motion is put into the twist first then it translates to actual wheel movement.
My question is I didn't have the clunk until I installed the RC level kit. My rox has about 100 miles on it

PineCreek

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My question is I didn't have the clunk until I installed the RC level kit. My rox has about 100 miles on it
Same. Idk, I did pay for an alignment, but didn’t change the clunk. The cure and keeping everting greased does. Still an occasional but not near as soften at all

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I didn’t have mine either till after I think. I do know as they wear they’ll get looser so that might attribute to it. But most likely as you lift it the geometry changes and makes it more prone to twist or perhaps it twists quicker and the quickness translates to an audible clunk. Either way the cure fixes it, and the twist is considered normal.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have a clunk sound as well, but it's coming from the driver side TRE. I ordered one in November. It still hasn't arrived. From the sounds of it, it won't arrive by the time I move.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hitting the road next Friday morning at 4AM. I'll be passing by Hill AFB probably around 1PM. Hoping to make it to Rexburg that night so I can get a burger at Ole's Diner in Sugar City.

Last edited:

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hitting the road next Friday morning at 4AM. I'll be passing by Hill AFB probably around 1PM. Hoping to make it to Rexburg that night so I can get a burger at Ole's Diner in Sugar City.
Great place, how long of a drive are you looking at?

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So I greased the front leaf spring mount and it got alot quieter. Didn't regrease after level kit installed