ooooooooooo

Rear Axle Seal Needed: Update, Seal Was Not Bad. Locker Now Installed Correctly

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Mechanic left cylinder looking spacer that cross pin went thru out because that is what the Spartan instructions said. Instructions say to remove all carrier parts.
We know the Roxor carrier is different. Well the axle shafts are “shorter” than a traditional D44 axles would be also. This spacer keeps the shafts the proper distance from the cross pin and makes for the proper end play at the outer bearings.
This information is the “special Spartan install instructions” that others have mentioned but not actually described.

User Sonnyd was kind enough to explain it to me. I owe him big time.

I’ll try to post a pic of the part from my phone. But it’s obvious what it is when you disassemble the factory carrier.

I had local mechanic install a Spartan.

I drive it home and it performs as it should but man it is loud as it unlocks in turns.

Anyways as soon as I get home I take ECU out and send to Vivid for flash.

Mechanic got it all back together with the cylinder/spacer. He said he had to "mill" it down to fit. This was on the rounded part. Not the flat ends that touch the axles. Locker performs great. Very little sound. He recommended Royal Purple gear oil so I sprung for that.

That evening I am looking at my ride and notice oil in rear drivers side wheel.

Pull tire and drum and oil everywhere. Called mechanic and he said the seal must have gotten damaged and to bring it back. He is well aware of how new all these are and he said if I can get him a part number he can get it fixed faster.

So I tried to cross reference the seal part number from the Roxor site but no luck.

He can look for a number once I get the ECU back and he gets it on a rack and pulls the seal but like me he wants it to be on the rack as little as possible.

We both want the seal in hand ready to go before disassembly.

I called my local dealer and gave them the part number. They said the owner would have to call me back because he is the only one that can order parts. He hasn't called back.

Does anyone know a "real" part number for the seal so I can run to NAPA and get it?

Thanks! IMG_1623.JPGIMG_1626.JPGIMG_1627.JPGDC8A9FC1-03D7-4261-A585-8356C9C09374.jpeg8355E49E-6161-4C38-A4F9-57E31EC331A7.jpeg

Last edited:

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

I drive it home and it performs as it should but man it is loud as it unlocks in turns.

Pull tire and drum and oil everywhere. Called mechanic and he said the seal must have gotten damaged and to bring it back. He is well aware of how new all these are and he said if I can get him a part number he can get it fixed faster.

So I tried to cross reference the seal part number from the Roxor site but no luck.

He can look for a number once I get the ECU back and he gets it on a rack and pulls the seal but like me he wants it to be on the rack as little as possible.

I called my local dealer and gave them the part number. They said the owner would have to call me back because he is the only one that can order parts. He hasn't called back.

Does anyone know a "real" part number for the seal so I can run to NAPA and get it?

Thanks! View attachment 1847View attachment 1848View attachment 1849
He may have damaged the seal but I'm willing to b et he just put the gaskets back incorrectly. I took pics of the way the gaskets came off when I tore down my rear axel. I'll post them when I get home. From what I remember it's actuly 4 gaskets 2 behind the drum and 2 in front, all different sizes and material. Maybe if you take apart the brake drum from the rear end you can identify the problem without replacing the seal. Also check the axel seal/ring itself and make sure it's straight/and only about a 16th of an inch reveal is showing.

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, please post pics of how it should be assembled.

Thanks!

He may have damaged the seal but I'm willing to b et he just put the gaskets back incorrectly. I took pics of the way the gaskets came off when I tore down my rear axel. I'll post them when I get home. From what I remember it's actuly 4 gaskets 2 behind the drum and 2 in front, all different sizes and material. Maybe if you take apart the brake drum from the rear end you can identify the problem without replacing the seal. Also check the axel seal/ring itself and make sure it's straight/and only about a 16th of an inch reveal is showing.

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, please post pics of how it should be assembled.

Thanks!
This is the order in which they came off. The 2 thinner ones are behind the brake from and the some shaped one and the thicker one were on the tire side of the brake drum.

20180710_194538.jpg

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Sent you a message

Bill Patridge

Founding Member

Thanks! View attachment 1847View attachment 1848View attachment 1849
Hey guys, looking in the parts catalog, it shows a one piece rear axle.....in another section, it shows a hub for the rear axle, like the old cj's...which is correct???