ooooooooooo

Question about Roxor and mud before buying

SludgeFactory

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I'm thinking about getting rid of my Mule Pro Fxt and getting a Roxor. This would only be used around the farm. I have two concerns will I miss the dump bed and the one I need your help with, which is, how does the stock roxor with open differentials do in the mud. Now I won't be searching out mudholes to go through and I'll usually avoid mud if I can. But after storms and sometimes when it rains a lot I still have to check the cows etc. The mule does great at this but it is lighter and may not sink as much as the Roxor would. Basically how would a bone stock Roxor do going through wet fields and up and down hills? Thank you and I hope that made some sense.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Assume your Mule had lockers front and rear along with low pressure tires? So, a stock Roxor is not in the same game.

You’ll need mud tires, lockers and unlocking hubs (for road manners) just to get on a level footing with the Mule. But that said, you’ll have a vehicle that will outlast 8 Mules over the lifetime of a Roxor.

SludgeFactory

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Assume your Mule had lockers front and rear along with low pressure tires? So, a stock Roxor is not in the same game.

You’ll need mud tires, lockers and unlocking hubs (for road manners) just to get on a level footing with the Mule. But that said, you’ll have a vehicle that will outlast 8 Mules over the lifetime of a Roxor.

Yes on the tires but the Mule has an open front diff like the Roxor. The rear locks though. Like I said, I'm not trying to go muddin, just wondering about the added weight and how much it would make the Roxor "sink" in the fields compared to the Mule. I don't mind getting aggresive tires but would rather not have to shell out for front and rear lockers.

Oh and thank you for your response

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I run a lot of wet pasture checking cows where the Polaris Ranger used to go. Floatation is my least concern. Proper tires for your soil type is key. I added rear lockers simply ‘cause the youngn’s like to go to off road parks where extreme ruts and rocks throw the machine off camber and the open diffs are near impossible. Thinking I need front lockers too?!

But for just general chores around here, I don’t think lockers would be a priority.

SludgeFactory

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I run a lot of wet pasture checking cows where the Polaris Ranger used to go. Floatation is my least concern. Proper tires for your soil type is key. I added rear lockers simply ‘cause the youngn’s like to go to off road parks where extreme ruts and rocks throw the machine off camber and the open diffs are near impossible. Thinking I need front lockers too?!

But for just general chores around here, I don’t think lockers would be a priority.

Thank you. That was what I was looking for. Appreciate it. Do you miss your Ranger at all compared to the Roxor?

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thank you. That was what I was looking for. Appreciate it. Do you miss your Ranger at all compared to the Roxor?
We also have a mountain farm with cows, sometimes muddy pastures and steep woodland trails. Used to have a Yamaha Viking and older Polaris Ranger 500. No major complaints with either other than the noise, cheapish/trendy build quality and steadily escalating maintenance costs. Replaced both with two 2018 Roxors and have had absolutely no regrets. Roxor is in a different league. Ours go where we want them to and carry or pull what we ask without straining. Have had minimal issue with these heavier vehicles bogging down. If anything, weight may be an advantage. Surprisingly, low range is proving to be far more useful that it ever was on other utility vehicles we've owned. Will eventually replace the OEM tires, which in certain mud situations tend to turn into slicks, with a more aggressive tread, though that's hardly been a showstopper to date. Sometimes when rounding-up calves, an automatic transmission may offer a slight advantage, but the standard is no big deal. The way we use our Roxor, it is turning out to be more akin to a tough, dependable, little tractor than a bantam weight, go fast, fun machine in search of the next expensive repair. Of course, Roxor, too, can be plenty of fun in its own right. There's also the dividend of owning something you can easily improve aftermarket to suit your particular needs and that is far less disposable than much of its competition.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Do I miss the Ranger? Literally kicked the tire when I traded for the Roxor- good riddance!!

SMF is right on!

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve owned a Polaris Ranger and a Kubota RTV. They are not in the same league a ROXOR. I would suggest getting some aggressive mud tires for your application. It will make you smile. You will never regret it.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I would wait a little bit and check out the new 2020 model that is supposed to be available with factory lift kit and who knows what else. My guess is a mud Edition with lockers too.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Last early winter/ I mean Fall ( I go south by Dec 1 ) my Rox did a great job plowing up to 6 “ snow,up and down the mountain . This summer lots of rain in the woods,that along with logging machinery,our forest roads were just mud and more mud. I had to winch myself out twice in the same day !.......so, I gave a lot of thought about the stock tires. They are not self cleaning, mud fills the tread, you go nowhere quickly, !.... the fix turned out to be easy, mud tires 235/85 16 rubber,ordered on line, and I went for shiny wheels too,but not needed. The Rox became a different vehicle, I gained 3” in clearance, so far non stoppable in even deep mud, it jest keeps going ! A pleasant side effect is I now have a much better ratio gear wise. I run 4 low all the time in the woods. Second and third gear works for me speed wise and gives a way better rpm on this little diesel. No clearance problems,only lugs were too short for new wheels which are 1” wider and fit right to the edge with a set of Jeep flairs which I painted body color.. These tires should be stock from Roxor , they even handle better on highway and are less noise than stock. I bought mine from Summit along with wheels,my dealer bought back orig tires and wheels.......very satisfied customer I am.

B

Bister

Awesome, thank you all. Without searching when do the 2020s come out?
The 2020’s will come out right after you buy a 2019, then they will put a $3000 rebate on the 2019’s to clear old stock to make way for the 2020’s. So the sooner you buy one, the sooner we gets to see what’s new for 2020, so get on it already. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
There were some 2018 models still around not long ago , with a 3000 discount. The way I see it ....summers are short , and that has several meanings. If you find one you like,regardless of year , buy it ! Just about everyone makes improvements , like DOT windshields anyway..........

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
I'm thinking about getting rid of my Mule Pro Fxt and getting a Roxor. This would only be used around the farm. I have two concerns will I miss the dump bed and the one I need your help with, which is, how does the stock roxor with open differentials do in the mud. Now I won't be searching out mudholes to go through and I'll usually avoid mud if I can. But after storms and sometimes when it rains a lot I still have to check the cows etc. The mule does great at this but it is lighter and may not sink as much as the Roxor would. Basically how would a bone stock Roxor do going through wet fields and up and down hills? Thank you and I hope that made some sense.
I love mine. I do wish the tires were more mud oriented from the get go. I know the dealers now gave a few options for better mud treads.

I have had mine in the slickness and worst mud in 25 years last fall in east Texas, other than dirt tracking up the exit of some creek bottoms, even the bfg'did ok. I have the locking hubs that I got due to towing it.

I say have the dealer put the tires you want on, pay the $200 for locking front hubs and GO! Have fun and work it.

BDRAG

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I had a 2005 and a 2011 RTV 900 xt consecutively. I had over 8,200 hours of total seat time on them on this cattle farm. In those years, I only used the rear diff lock maybe 4 times. I avoided swamply areas but general mud and ruts and such I did ok. I did have blackwater evolution tires on the rtv.
On the 2018 Roxor, I bought the plain model . It came with the BFG KO2 tires. That was a BIG mistake for me because those tires were worthless for me and I got stuck several times. They would just spin in the mud and get slick. I sold them to my bil for 300 and they are now on a hay wagon.. I bough some good grippers called Mudstars from simple tire and they changed me from hating the Roxor to loving it. I was about ready to roll it off the bridge but not now. I love that thing. I do have a few issues with it being standard and having so many gates to open in the course of a day , and then spraying fencelines , I need to use 4L to go slow enough. I also replaced the bumpers with some that are cow proof or me proof. ha. and I bought an aftermarket windshield with the hardened surface for 265.. It looks a lot like the oem one but 1/3 of the price. also made a home made roof. and saved $ . I can stand on it to trim limbs as well.
Be sure to check out the tire thread on here. Tire Size Options - Team ROXOR Forum - Unofficial Mahindra ROXOR Off-road Community! Also, sometimes Simple Tire has coupons . :)

edit: forgot to mention that I had a Mule before the RTVs and was never happy with that belt drive of that model ( back then)

also added a few pictures. The middle picture is of the BFG KO2 s which are now on a hay wagon for obvious reasons. Last picture is of the scale for weighing the registered calves.. Love this machine !!

KIMG0397.jpgKIMG0089.jpgKIMG0400 (1).jpg KIMG0116.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bister

I upgraded my Roxor with rear Spartan locker first, then a front Spartan locker, then better tires (235/85R16 mud tire cause ko2's suck in mud as mentioned by Bordercollie) to get around better in 'pasture' conditions. From what I know now, my upgrade sequence would be to do better tires first, then the rear Spartan lunchbox locker, then I would do an OX locker in the front vs the Spartan in the front. I might change out to the OX in a year or 2. You may find that you only need the tires, and none of the lockers.

IMG_7924.JPG

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I upgraded my Roxor with rear Spartan locker first, then a front Spartan locker, then better tires (235/85R16 mud tire cause ko2's suck in mud as mentioned by Bordercollie) to get around better in 'pasture' conditions. From what I know now, my upgrade sequence would be to do better tires first, then the rear Spartan lunchbox locker, then I would do an OX locker in the front vs the Spartan in the front. I might change out to the OX in a year or 2. You may find that you only need the tires, and none of the lockers.

View attachment 5096
I would like the OX lockers .......about 3,000 local installed I have been told, sort of a belt and spenders thing...we ride along, no friends , and some places are remote........will see in spring, who knows what winter will bring sitting in sunny Texas for 4 months.!

Trebz

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You can save money and order the OX manual lockers. I think it is going to be around $2300 for front and rear and everything needed for the install.

B

Bister

I like my Spartan locker in the back cause I know it will engage as I go through something even in 2wd with out having to stop to engage. Never hear it back there except when I back out of my driveway and that is just some very quiet clicking. The Spartan in the front is a pain, it's bloody billy goat with it, but a pain. lol I am always locking and unlocking hubs because of the noise and binding even in 2wd and it is hard to steer in 4wd and no real in between. That's why I would like to change it out to an OX in the front someday and keep the Spartan in the back. It would then act like a regular SXS type set up. Locked up in the back (almost all the time) and then 3wd when I engage the front and full diff lock 4x4 when needed by engaging the OX and still be able to steer when it is disengaged and not have to worry about unlocking hubs every time I take it out of 4x4. This is just what I would find handy & comfortable and what I think I would like.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
In hind sight, I’d Lincoln Locker the rear because it’s free. And then put the OX up front with hubs. I’ve learned that lockers up front are not to be ignored. Push in the back, lift in the front.

In fact, with Warn Hubs up front, why couldn’t you weld the front too??