ooooooooooo

Open Differentials

Compshooter

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Here is a video showing my Roxor in four wheel drive stuck in some snow. You'll see the wheel with the least traction spin while those with the most traction do nothing.

P.S. - I'm getting lockers for the rear this year!

Jimij

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It’s ridiculous that these “ off-road “ machines come with open differential...but if a person knows that going in...then we can all just make our needed modifications and live with it

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Good points. The open differential is arguably the biggest, as delivered Roxor shortfall. This could be corrected at the factory easily and relatively cheaply, saving a lot of us a lot of hassle. Maybe someone will listen.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
And the flip side is like a RZR where you can’t unlock them for in road use.

We can gripe about what it should and should not have but then again, Mahindra isn’t shipping the axles with lockers. At least the option is easily and readily available. We can say why don’t these come with windshield?

Recognize for what it is and what’s the potential. This will rub MANA management wrong but the Roxor isn’t really a side by side UTV. The solution to the open diffs is a easy and simple one.

Compshooter

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
And the flip side is like a RZR where you can’t unlock them for in road use.

We can gripe about what it should and should not have but then again, Mahindra isn’t shipping the axles with lockers. At least the option is easily and readily available. We can say why don’t these come with windshield?

Recognize for what it is and what’s the potential. This will rub MANA management wrong but the Roxor isn’t really a side by side UTV. The solution to the open diffs is a easy and simple one.

I agree. Supply a base vehicle that can be improved upon for those that want to improve it. This way, the price stays low but you have options to improve upon it, if you wish.

suzanv

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Mahindra goes for the lowest cost to sell the vehicule. We have the pleasure build it ourselve as our dream machine. First the Warn locker and the aft differential.

B

Bister

Lots of folks will never need anything more than the open diffs. Some of these are going to places (like mines) and some mines don't even need the 4x4. The way it is we can do what we want to fit our own needs, not the needs of others.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
A vehicle branded as a UTV (with open differentials) and stuck in light snow or mud is not a convincing marketing look -- and may not be the best approach to savings. It would be interesting to know how many Roxor owners would preferred to have had basic factory lockers from the get go rather than going the after market route. Clearly some are happy with open diffs and some, not. No doubt, for certain uses a 2WD Roxor might also be just fine.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok this was rather disturbing to read- about the" no locking" differentials I mean.. I haven't pulled the trigger on my roxor yet though. I just don't understand how something with no locking diffs can be used as a 4wd without those mods spoken of. I just want t be able to go thru mud on this cattle farm and not have to walk home.. I need to learn more about this . Can someone point me to a thread I overlooked ? I do some mechanical work such as changing rear ujoints on my RTV900 but never converted hubs such as this. My rtv had a lever to enable the rear diff but I have just normal hubs on the front and its 4wd. So I'm thinking the Roxor comes from the factory sorta like the rtv minus the diff level lock on it? .. Thank s for reading.

Bhayarock

Generally speaking 4 wheel means if your front and rear axles have power simultaneously which is true for roxor. Open differential on 4wd mode will always be 4 wheel unless one of the wheel loses traction either in front, rear or or both, in that case it will be 3 wd or may be 2wd depending upon which side of wheels loses traction.
When you can lose traction and why?
When your wheels are slipping or they dont make enough contact on ground so
when one of the wheels loses traction an open diff will power the one side with least resistance (the one which lost traction), which sucks sometimes.
Solution:
1) get tires suitable to your needs that will give you the max traction depending on the terrain you are going to work upon. Muddy terrain will definitely require some aggressive tyres.(Cheapest option will get you through most of the difficult terrains still would recommend a winch in case you get unlucky)
2) get spartan lunchbox type rear(automatic) locker if you want more traction. I am not sure of available LSD options but they will also work. Not very expensive and will give you decent traction when ever there is a need.
3) finally if you are going for a hard core terrain get a selectable locker( they are not cheap), this will always give you max traction when its locked.

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Generally speaking 4 wheel means if your front and rear axles have power simultaneously which is true for roxor. Open differential on 4wd mode will always be 4 wheel unless one of the wheel loses traction either in front, rear or or both, in that case it will be 3 wd or may be 2wd depending upon which side of wheels loses traction.
When you can lose traction and why?
When your wheels are slipping or they dont make enough contact on ground so
when one of the wheels loses traction an open diff will power the one side with least resistance (the one which lost traction), which sucks sometimes.
Solution:
1) get tires suitable to your needs that will give you the max traction depending on the terrain you are going to work upon. Muddy terrain will definitely require some aggressive tyres.(Cheapest option will get you through most of the difficult terrains still would recommend a winch in case you get unlucky)
2) get spartan lunchbox type rear(automatic) locker if you want more traction. I am not sure of available LSD options but they will also work. Not very expensive and will give you decent traction when ever there is a need.
3) finally if you are going for a hard core terrain get a selectable locker( they are not cheap), this will always give you max traction when its locked.
It's worth noting that most people never use their vehicle is such a way that they will never notice the difference between open and lockedriffs. I myself live in west Virginia, everything is straight up and straight down with red slippery clay (what we call mud butter). I got away with open diffs for about 6 months then went to a spartan locker in th rear. It makes a big difference, but it's not like the vehicle was useless before. Open diffs are a world ahead of 2wd and locking or lsd diffs are an noticible improvement over opens. Like Bhayarock brought out good tires make up for alot and it's not like your going to get stuck on your driveway with open diffs. Buy it, use it, enjoy it and then decide what YOU need. And if you must have lockers, buy them for 250$ off of Amazon and put them in your self using the directions with pics mahindra provided on their website. That to me is better than paying interest and payments on what would be a 1500 dollar factory option at least.

suzanv

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I will fill up a space between two teeth on each floating gear in the open diff. Be sure both floating gear make contact in same time during assembly. We use to do that on Bombardier B13 snowmobile. It was working good then. If there problem I will install a lunch box

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Great explanations! and good pointers too !! I feel much better now- -Think I'm going with a base model with the bfg tires and add on goodies later. .. It's like ya'll have told me... get accessories later as I can.. will get to choose the quality that way too. By the way, that Fortress windshield and roof look mighty nice. Great forum !!

mopar93

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The original old CJ-5 came stock with open differentials. At the time, that was king as there were very few 4WD pickups on the road back then. The Jeep would go places that pickup trucks couldn't go. The stock Roxor can go anywhere a stock old CJ-5 can go.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This is encouraging Mopar93. I saw on the configurator that the locking rear diff adds about $620 to the price. Amazon sounds much better ! I'd like to get the base '18 and then as ya'll mentioned, build on that..

Compshooter

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Remember, time is money. Some have one, some have the other, some have both and some have neither.

It just all depends on where you're at. If I had only money and not time, I'd just buy it. But at least with the Roxor I have a choice.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Open it is. I had to squeeze the turnip patch and get a couple of paychecks in advance so Roxor came home yesterday. :) I can add stuff later as more change is found. I wanted to get one of the 2 remaining '18 to get that big 1,000 off and so boom.. got it home. bc:)

itsaroxorthing

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Lots of folks will never need anything more than the open diffs. Some of these are going to places (like mines) and some mines don't even need the 4x4. The way it is we can do what we want to fit our own needs, not the needs of others.
Hey bister,how are you getting along with the lunch box lockers front and rear.have you had them in snow?how about on pavement when turning tight.they sound like the way to go but lots of opinions out there.especially regarding having them in the front diff.

B

Bister

Hey bister,how are you getting along with the lunch box lockers front and rear.have you had them in snow?how about on pavement when turning tight.they sound like the way to go but lots of opinions out there.especially regarding having them in the front diff.

Sorry, I never saw your post. I like them, a bit of a pain getting out to engage my hubs, but there than that I hear the odd clunk in town and you have to really listen for the clicking around a corner. I was on a derby and once I engaged my hubs, I left them that way even if I wasn't in 4x4 in the transfer case and everything seemed fine. Snows all gone since I got them in. I was on some wet muddy soft grass and they helped big time. These tires suck for mud, but for what I do, I feel I am farther ahead with money spent on lockers front and rear over a set of big/better tires and no lockers.

I need a driver or camera person. These hills are steeper than they look, the first one was the steepest and this thing just idled up it without missing a beat. Last time with no lockers, I had to take a bit of a run at it cause I would spin out, not now.