ooooooooooo

Differentials

Jimij

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Embarrassed to ask...but can you give me a layman’s explanation of the different differential set ups ?
Open I understand. But then there’s several different approaches to better traction...I’m mainly concerned with mud on a deer lease...and I can’t convince myself which would be the best upgrade. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

General

Founding Member
Locking differential - Wikipedia
Your four options are: Open (stock Roxor), Selectable Locking (cable, air, or electric button), Permanent Locking, or Limited-Slip Differential. I don't know of anyone offering automatic lockers or computer-controlled units like you'd find on a modern truck. To oversimplify a complex topic, buy selectable lockers if you're concerned about off-road use, or buy limited slip if you're concerned about on-road use. You can put them in the front, rear, or both (best). They're relatively cheap and available from several companies, and they're the best way to increase traction. Remember your differential is totally separate from the transfer case or your hubs (which also have modifications themselves). Your differential's gear ratio can be changed as well to offer higher/lower optimum speed/torque.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If you are not changing gears, and want to be cost affective, Spartan "lunch box locker" is your best bet. The OX locker that Roxor offers is over priced and the install is most likely expensive unless you can do it your self. To install a normal LSD, or other locker, you will still need to spend a lot of money to have it installed and will need a thin spacer for ring gear that i have not seen for sale. I installed two Spartan's over Christmas hoilday took about four hours each. Not hard to do if you have the correct puller and slide hammer. I have been setting up gears for 20 years, performance cars and a lot of Dana 44's and 30's for the jeep guys, they like my prices compared to $500.00 or more from some shop. So i don't know what the dealer would charge for the install on the OX locker but i am sure it will be that or more.

sandyx

Founding Member
Mechanical Locking Differential (M-Locker)

Eton MLD(g80) is standard issue on Thar crde rear diff. It's an autolocker that switches between LSD and full lock without any user input. It should be a direct fit for roxor. May not be rugged enough as manual lockers for hardcore stuff but will work well enough for anything less.

B

Bister

I had my dealer order the lunchbox lockers for front and back from Roxor for me. Still waiting for them to arrive. Plus the hubs for the front.

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Which is correct for the Roxor,19 spline?

Yes that is it.

Make sure whoever installs it puts the cylinder shaped "spacer" back in that the cross pin goes thru. This keeps the axle shafts at proper spec.

Guts.JPG
Spacer.JPG

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Lunch box locker is generic term for lockers that replace spider gears in an open diff case.

Jimij

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
“Lunch box” is a slang term.

Spartan is a brand/model.
Then I believe the general consensus is...for my application of putting around in the mud..the lockers would be a legitimate choice ?
I appreciate the help and direction !! Thanks again

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Then I believe the general consensus is...for my application of putting around in the mud..the lockers would be a legitimate choice ?
I appreciate the help and direction !! Thanks again

Couldn’t have used better terminology myself.
It doesn’t exist in a 19 spline D44 version but I would have preferred to get an Eaton Detroit Softlocker. Those lockers are an entire differential themselves like the Ox but cheaper and easier to install. As in nothing outside of the axle.
They are quiter and stronger than the Spartan.
But performance wise off the pavement the Spartan will perform identically to the Softlocker.
If Eaton should make a 19/44 anytime soon I’ll buy one and transplant my Spartan to the front axle.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Spartan Locker for Dana 44 differential with 19 spline axles, includes heavy-duty cross pin shaft
by Spartan Locker
Be the first to review this item

| 4 answered questions

Price:$237.80

This is the right one, I just put two of these in. Take note of the pictures above the spacer in the second one has to be installed in the spartan locker. To hold the two Spartan spacers in place, partially install the cross pin but not far enough to block your view as you look through the hole for the axles. than love tap the axle spacer in until the cross pin can go through it.

I hope someone will make an normal LSD with the add E-locker. they are made for other axles and are the best for on/off road.

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
About the strength of a Spartan, several of my friends are hard core jeep off roaders, one of guys in there jeep club installed a Spartan in his front axle. They all laughed at him. And really laughed when his front axle failed on a trip. Well he got the last laugh. He ripped teeth of his ring gear, the Spartan was fine. Is a Spartan as strong as a more expensive locker, I would say no, but they are not weak.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Typical weak point with the lunch box lockers are usually the case they are installed in.