ooooooooooo

Missing, running rough at low rpm after getting in deep saltwater.

Gene Trask

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The other night we were trying to track down a motorcycle thief going down the beach. I was going around some debris when we dropped in a hole. Water up to the floorboards with waves washing through the cab. Had to winch it out, took about 5 or 10 minutes. (Seemed like for ever) the motor kept running ran fine and never stopped.
Next day when I cranked it, it's blowing white and strong exhaust smell in cab. Once it warms up it is not as bad, but still misses at low rpms (900 -1200) most of the time.
I cleaned fuel and air filters, checked for fuel at top of injectors, made sure seatbelts safety wasn't on.
Do you have suggestions?
2019 4 cylinder stock

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Maybe the crankshaft sensor. Don’t even know if there’s on one it. But if so it’ll be down low and submerged. Maybe unplug it and clean up the connection.

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Does it rev up ok? So do you only have problems at idle, did you only get the white smoke the one time or every time you start?

Gene Trask

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Does it rev up ok? So do you only have problems at idle, did you only get the white smoke the one time or every time you start?
No it does not rev up in neutral. It will go up to about 1500 or so and then bogs down. Even with the accelerator to the floor, it's like a governor kicks in.

Gene Trask

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok after todaysonce over.
I took the exhaust loose just below the turbo. No change.
I took the breather hose loose just before the intake. The turbo is blowing and the intake is sucking. No change.
I took all the connections I could find, loos and cleaned. Put back. No change.
I pulled the exhaust flapper n the turbo to see if it was stuck. No change
I have loosened the nuts at the injectors to verify that fuel is getting to each one.
It cranks fine, idles rough,doesn't skip once your in gear and get over 16 or 1800rpms.
Not sure what to try next.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
air filters not wet and plugged by any chance?

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Is your Roxor an automatic? I can’t think of any reason why when it’s not in gear that it will not go over 1500 RPM

Gene Trask

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
No it is standard.
I have never had a diesel before. If it was a gas engine To me is feels like it is not getting air flow.
Is there an air flow sensor or regulator that could be cloggedm

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Fouled MAF? I thought I would try to get on this head scratcher

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My money is on the saltwater wrecking havoc with something electrical be it a sensor or the connection. Anything submerged start with that. hard to diagnose without putting it on a computer to check for codes. Swapping parts in a shotgun approach to find the problem will get expensive not to mention stressful trying to find the parts right now.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Fouled MAF? I thought I would try to get on this head scratcher
I’ve thought the same too but it’s hard to believe it got submerged. Maybe the fan threw the water on it? If that’s the case then the computer should be checked as well. Now if water got into the air filter than perhaps it got on the surface of the MAF as well.

Gene Trask

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My money is on the saltwater wrecking havoc with something electrical be it a sensor or the connection. Anything submerged start with that. hard to diagnose without putting it on a computer to check for codes. Swapping parts in a shotgun approach to find the problem will get expensive not to mention stressful trying to find the parts right now.
I have a computer or reader coming, it will be a few weeks before it can get out here. I am hoping like you said that will be able to pinpoint the problem.
Sorry I have been off here for a few days, get busy sometimes.
I have gone through all the sensor connections I can find, as well as the computer and connections under the hood.
I have not taken the sensors out to clean them yet.
Is that a bad idea? I'm not sure how sensitive they are.
Two days ago, after having ran it for a couple of hours, it was running really smooth. But like today when I crank it, it is missing and pinging and thg e exhaust is super strong.
We'll keep working on it.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I money is on the MAF needs to be cleaned. Its real simple there is a spray cleaner.

Gene Trask

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok I give up.
I found the map sensor, egr, but I can't even find a diagram online to tell me where the maf is.
I assume it is on the intake somewhere.
Can u help an ignorant soul?

B

Bister

Ok I give up.
I found the map sensor, egr, but I can't even find a diagram online to tell me where the maf is.
I assume it is on the intake somewhere.
Can u help an ignorant soul?
This link will get you to the general parts diagrams. Not sure it will help much though.

Parts & Service

Gene Trask

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes I tried that last night and just now. It won't show anything.
Has a link to click the pick list but nothing else

Gene Trask

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Did I just discover that this does not have a maf sensor?
It does have a map sensor.....
I guess they do the same thing.
So now I will go down and work on the map sensor. ??

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Gene Trask: turbo engines have MAP (manifold absolute pressure - measures vacuum on piston town stroke) in the manifold. MAP is after the throttle body. Naturally aspirated engines have MAF before the throttle body. (mass airflow - measures flow on piston downstroke via a heating element. A constant current heats a thin wire. As air flows past it, the wire cools. Its resistance changes, and the current changes. The change in current is then translated into air flow... using ambient air temperature).
MAP will be harder to get to and is more protected from water (as you said you didn't submerge the intake. Keep us posted. This is a good one.