ooooooooooo

Help, Engine very rough during Acceleration

always_sleepy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My Roxor had been sitting a bit in the garage while I finished hooking up everything for the windshield wipers. When I started it up again it didn't sound the same. I drove it around for a few days and it struggled when accelerating. I decided it might be the fuel filer, changed it (there was no water in the fuel) and it helped. But now it has only been a little over a week and it is worse than ever. It is a 2022 and has 2k miles on it, oil has been changed twice now, proper levels, air filter is good, I am still getting good boost pressure so turbo seems to be working. It idles fine. It used to cruse fine, but that is starting to be affected too. During acceleration it shakes stutters and sounds a little more clickity clackity than it used to. Valves? Injectors? Not enough fuel still? Any suggestings help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Takotnariver1958

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
My Roxor had been sitting a bit in the garage while I finished hooking up everything for the windshield wipers. When I started it up again it didn't sound the same. I drove it around for a few days and it struggled when accelerating. I decided it might be the fuel filer, changed it (there was no water in the fuel) and it helped. But now it has only been a little over a week and it is worse than ever. It is a 2022 and has 2k miles on it, oil has been changed twice now, proper levels. I am still getting boost pressure so turbo seems to be working. It idles fine. and used to cruse fine, but that is starting to be affected too. During acceleration it shakes stutters and sounds a little more clickity clackity than it used to. Valves? Injectors? Not enough fuel still? Any suggestings help would be much appreciated.
What wipers did you install and what year Roxor?
Curious because i hooked up the hardcabs wiper/washer on a new 2022 as per the instructions and have no power to instrument Cluster, other than alternator warning, no starter or lights.
i suspect it was caused by blue wire from supplied fuse/ relay box tapped onto the violet/ yellow wire before the inst. Panel fuse box.
the wiring diagram shows a v/y wire being for the oil pressure switch. That would indicated the wipers would not have power until the engine is running? Strange thing is i tested the w/w and they worked. This was with the engine off? Instructions are from 2018. Wondering if the wiring changed and if i,m right about the purpose of the blue wire connection to the V/Y wire?
Was afraid i fried something but after checking all fuses with bat disconnected and disconnecting big pwr plug by ECU on the second attempt after days, it started with normal indications on everything. Ran it for an hour, started it a couple times. After parking it everything went back to fail mode.
Seems like a relay. Start relay ohmed out ok. Why are the lights loosing power, for start?
Looking for the smartest electricianin town or i have an expensive boat anchor?
Sorry for the long rant. Appreciate you guys,
Ron

Takotnariver1958

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Curious because i hooked up the hardcabs wiper/washer on a new 2022 as per the instructions and have no power to instrument Cluster, other than alternator warning, no starter or lights.
i suspect it was caused by blue wire from supplied fuse/ relay box tapped onto the violet/ yellow wire before the inst. Panel fuse box.
the wiring diagram shows a v/y wire being for the oil pressure switch. That would indicated the wipers would not have power until the engine is running? Strange thing is i tested the w/w and they worked. This was with the engine off? Instructions are from 2018. Wondering if the wiring changed and if i,m right about the purpose of the blue wire connection to the V/Y wire?
Was afraid i fried something but after checking all fuses with bat disconnected and disconnecting big pwr plug by ECU on the second attempt after days, it started with normal indications on everything. Ran it for an hour, started it a couple times. After parking it everything went back to fail mode.
Seems like a relay. Start relay ohmed out ok. Why are the lights loosing power, for start?
Ron

Takotnariver1958

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Guess what i,m wondering is if wiring the wipers could have affected the ecu etc and caused your rough running?
When i got mine going temporarily i had the power wire and splice disconnected.
of course i,m afraid to reconnect anything until get it figured out.
Ron

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Can you disconnect all you connected and get the machine to run normal?

Not knowing the wiper kits, but having wired accessories in two machines myself, I wonder if you can run a separate fuse block.

I left the harness on both my machines alone and did not tap into any wire that came from the factory - except two: (1) I use the accessory wire on the key to power a relay. (2) I use the tail lights (not powered in the factory harness) as blinkers.

The relay on the key accessory is switching power from the battery to a fuse block In installed under the dash.

Could you go disconnect all you connected to the stock harness and have the machine running normal? Then install a separate fuse block?

Takotnariver1958

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
When i first had the problem undoing it all had no effect until later when it sat with bat disconnected and i had disconnected the big power plug by the ecu.
it went back to normal but after i shut it down all the symptoms reappeared.
after a day with bat disconnected it was still dead. I disconnected the big plug today and will check tomorrow if that fixes it again. If so i wonder if a relay is getting reset with the disconnected plug. Sorta strange since the bat is not connected when i do this. That was a temporary one time fix but if it works again it may mean something to spmeone smarter than me?

always_sleepy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Sorry I have been away for a while. So my wipers work fine and I don't have any electrical issues. I put some diesel kleen in the tank and that helped a noticeable amount but the problem still persist. I adjusted the valves, didn't help with this problem but quieted down some of the clickity clackity. After lots of testing I am thinking it still might not be getting enough fuel? It idles fine, It cruses fine, but under load and/or acceleration between 1400-1900 rpm it sounds kinda like a chugging sound, almost like a locomotive and struggle's. Is there another filter besides the fuel filter that I changed? Maybe in the tank that could be clogged?... If it is, how did it get clogged so fast, it only has 2k miles on it? If there is another filter does anyone know how to best get to it? I could be wrong about fuel, could it be igniting too soon? I do have a stage 1 tune. Could it somehow have gotten off and is now injecting too early? This has been a hard one for me, obviously, I still haven't solved it. I am hoping when it is all said and done it ends up just being a simple thing.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@always_sleepy: have you looked at the repair manual? Somewhere on the board is a post with a link to all available manuals. I guess you must have a copy since you did a valve adjustment.

Your machine is unter warranty. What does your dealer say? The Roxor has an onboard diagnostic bus (OBD) and they could do a read out.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Are we sure you didn’t get some bad fuel? There’s a drain on the tank. It would be very easy to drain it and then refill with good fuel to eliminate that variable.

When you turn the key on do you hear the electric tank pump working?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I see you're in Utah. How cold was it when you ran your machine last? Any chance of geling fuel or frozen water in the lines?

I think you're also one of the first ones on this forum who adjusted valves on a Roxor (or mentions it). Interesting.

always_sleepy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I didn't know about the repair manual, but I do now, just downloaded it. I used the video from wade mentioned as a guide. If you have ever adjusted valves before (even on a small engine) it is very straightforward and easy.
It was cold the first time I noticed this problem but it has been much warmer on other days I tested it with the problem persisting so I am going to rule out geling of the fuel. I know I had/have winter fuel in the tank.
I guess there is always a chance of bad fuel. I was low, and since I was have issues I filled up at a different station, a Chevron, and have used about half ish of that tank, same problem.
I do hear the electric pump working when I turn the key.

Last edited:

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You could always pop the drain and put some fuel in a clear bottle then let the fuel sit and see if anything settles out if it. And while your at it smell it to see if it smells right. Make sure it’s not varnished or gassy smelling like a contamination issue. I’m kinda thinking it’s a fuel issue since you said the fuel treatment helped some at first.

always_sleepy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you everyone for your help. The thing that ended up solving it... bleeding the air from the fuel filter. I will drive it around for a few more days just to make sure but today it felt 100% back to normal. I am not sure why the air got in to begin with. While I was doing the windshield wipers I only had a little bit of time each night to work on them so it was hanging out in the garage hood up for several days. Maybe one of my kids came to see what I was up to and the bleed valve got fiddled with? ?‍♂️
Then after I changed the fuel filter, I didn't do the bleeding procedures right because I didn't have the Repair Manual, but I have it now thanks to you! I did it right this time. Either way, it Was something simple, and I am So happy to have my Roxor running properly again!

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@always_sleepy: glad the manual helped. Always interesting for me to hear about problems being solved. Thanks!

Maybe go and check the valve lash adjustments you did now that you have the specs.

always_sleepy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I checked in the repair manual and it matched the specs mentioned in the video so I am good. Also I said I am back to 100%, actually after the drive this morning it is more like 110% with the valves adjusted and keratin boost :)

Takotnariver1958

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Ron
After all these months and much input from 3 mechanics finally got it going today. There was mo power to lights, inst.cluster, power outlet a starter relay when key was on. New key switch and ecu did not help.
turned out to be the ground on the firewall that the inst panel fusebox is mounted by. It was clean, new, tight but maybe a bit of paint under it? Loosened, retightened and cured everything. hope this helps anyone with electrical problems.