ooooooooooo

ECU Tuning

Whitbread

Founding Member
Hello folks, I operate a european and domestic diesel performance business in northern Michigan. I happened to spot a Roxor at my local powersports dealer today and took a good look at it. As an avid off road enthusiast (I have a VW TDI swapped Ford ranger setup for playing on the trails), I think it's awesome and about damn time something like this is sold in the USA.

I, along with many others I'm sure, would love to exceed 45mph and have a little more than 62hp. A modern 2.5L common rail direct injection turbo diesel should be able to make an easy 100-115hp without straining anything. The VW DI diesel are all 90-135hp from the factory and they're only 1.9L. So my question to the people here is how many would like a safe ecu tune for these that would increase the speed limiter to say 85mph and bump the power up to 100-110hp? Obviously, the manufacturer warranty would be voided, the vehicle would be for competition use only, not for use on public highways, and whatever other legal disclaimers need inserted.

Here's what are probably the first underhood shots of a Roxor :).

26037701977_42978744bd_z.jpg26037701317_2b0a75edb1_z.jpg

Last edited:

CanadianRoxor

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hi Whitebread,

I've followed your posts in the Arctic Cat Forums and see you've done some cool power mods to your 700 Diesel ATV. I have not touched my 700 Diesel yet but will be selling it to make some extra room in the garage for the Roxor. I would be very interested in a ECU tune for this machine since I'll be purchasing one as soon as it hits the market in Canada.

On a side note, is this the same 2.5L motor Mahindra uses in the Balero and Thar? If so, I see some tuners for sale on ebay for these two vechicles and that might be a good starting point.

sandyx

Founding Member
The 2.5L motor is same as in Bolero & Thar m2dicr. At 18.6:1 comp ratio, the engine is understressed for durability. Also, the turbo used is a 'soft' turbo. Motor could certainly be bumped to some level with the right parts. And then there's the ECU to play with.

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
The first time I saw this engine, I realized 3 things that will be done to them. 1st, the governor will need to go, because of the 3.73 gears and the overdrive ngt520 trans, 5th gear for sure and maybe 4th gear will be almost useless with a 45mph limit. EGR block off plates will be no.2 and 3 will be the crankcase valve hose will be rerouted down below and converted to a down draft tube instead of putting it back into the intake. The Thar in India doesn't run an oil vapour recirculation system, just a simple down draft tube from what I've seen. By eliminating the EGR, PCV and governor, You'll have a much cleaner burning engine now that it'll no longer be burning exhaust and oil and obviously a higher top speed. Not to mention a much cleaner intake and engine top end. As a side note, I see the engine uses a grid heater like a cummins as opposed to glow plugs. I wonder how the Cold canadian cold starts will be at -40c with just the grid heater. The lower engine compression is great for turbo power and longevity but it hurts cold starting ability. Maybe a block heater will also be an upcoming option.

Reactions: NTB

sandyx

Founding Member
The Thar in India doesn't run an oil vapour recirculation system, just a simple down draft tube from what I've seen.

Actually there are two kinds of Thar in India, m2dicr & crde. Which one has the tube system you mentioned?

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I saw it on a Bolero ZLX, I'm pretty sure that's the older mdi2cr engine from what I've seen. On the roxor you can see the valve in the valve cover going into the air box like an old school american PCV system, whereas on the ones in India it looks like the hose just goes down beside the engine out of sight so I'd say its safe to say its a down draft tube where the vapour just vents to the atmosphere. Unless there's some sort of catch can on the frame rail?

Reactions: NTB

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Hi Whitebread,

I've followed your posts in the Arctic Cat Forums and see you've done some cool power mods to your 700 Diesel ATV. I have not touched my 700 Diesel yet but will be selling it to make some extra room in the garage for the Roxor. I would be very interested in a ECU tune for this machine since I'll be purchasing one as soon as it hits the market in Canada.

On a side note, is this the same 2.5L motor Mahindra uses in the Balero and Thar? If so, I see some tuners for sale on ebay for these two vechicles and that might be a good starting point.

Where have you seen tuners for this engine exactly? I searched them out but could only find them for the newer CRDE engines?

CanadianRoxor

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Where have you seen tuners for this engine exactly? I searched them out but could only find them for the newer CRDE engines?
Must be for the newer motors. I just saw them listed for the Thar and Balero on ebay.

HendrixATX

Founding Member
Whitbread, an ECU tune for this would be very popular. Seems every review I’ve read mentions looking for a way to get around the speed limiter.

B

Bister

I’m can almost handle the 45 limit, I don’t drive much faster than that in my pick up on the back roads, but that being said, there are times I just want to get home. I’m not planning on doing 70, but to cruise at 50-55 without hitting a limiter would be nice. I’m going to keep mine pretty close to stock. I have had atvs and did the mods. I’m happy with mostly stock now at my place in life and what I will use it for. It’s replacing a Rhino with 26,000 klms.

Last edited by a moderator:

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
good job for finding that out. We all figured that would be the case but now it is confirmed.

ROXOR

Administrator
Staff member
Nice,
This info will need to be pulled out into its own topic once we have a full work around.

on_the_rox

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes,
after unplugging the sensor, our Roxor was completely capable of going 70+ miles an hour. As soon as we get our glass windshield frame with wipers bolted on, we will test it again. It was a very smooth ride, and drove like a new vehicle should. As soon as we can get the software tuned, the abilities are endless! The motor sure feels like it is restricted from the factory, if we are able to tune the software up a little bit, We are sure these Roxors will be little powerhouses!

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I wonder what the numbers could be with keeping conservative reliability in mind. Usually I don't bother with tuners because they shorten the life of everything but this thing must be really dialed back. The original willys from the early 60s with the 4 cyl 3.1l perkins non turbo diesel literally makes the same 62hp and 143ft lbs. So I have to believe that even with its smaller displacement that its capable of achieving atleast 200ft lbs of torque for the long term without hurting much. I have a feeling it'll be the clutch that'll be the weak point if the engine is really amped up. Top notch guys.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The engine feels very detuned. I think more boost would actually do it some all-around good if kept within reason. That being said, it can firmly crawl itself around in 2HI and 4LO feels like it will crawl over very imposing terrain. I was able to do a 3 pt turn on an incline without hitting the brakes or leaving 2nd gear. Nice torquey feel.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Alright where is this tune? I took delivery of my roxor yesterday and the 45mph in 3rd is already annoying. I unplugged the speed sensor for now but will look for a way to bypass the limiter and still have a speedometer

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Anyone try the iSmart yet?