ooooooooooo

Dana 300 Transfer Case

joe_and_jeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Anyone have the specs to the 25 spline output on the manual transmission? Ford Ranger uses a 25 spline output and NorthWest Fab has an adapter that I was wondering if I could use the spud shaft to a modified adapter or a custom one. I mostly want to confirm the size of the output of the Roxor tailshaft before I pull the transfer case and start attempting to adapt.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Anyone have the specs to the 25 spline output on the manual transmission? Ford Ranger uses a 25 spline output and NorthWest Fab has an adapter that I was wondering if I could use the spud shaft to a modified adapter or a custom one. I mostly want to confirm the size of the output of the Roxor tailshaft before I pull the transfer case and start attempting to adapt.
Is this for a PTO or what? I know I looked at the parts fish and a transfer case is only $600 new!

BDRAG

joe_and_jeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm building my Roxor more into a rock crawler. Dana 60/70, 7.17 gears and 39.5 tires. I want the D300 to open up twin sticking, 4:1 gears and heavier outputs. It'll also open up twin transfer case options and Atlas transfer case.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
I'm building my Roxor more into a rock crawler. Dana 60/70, 7.17 gears and 39.5 tires. I want the D300 to open up twin sticking, 4:1 gears and heavier outputs. It'll also open up twin transfer case options and Atlas transfer case.
Ok. Sounds expensive! Lol. Keep us apprised.

BDRAG

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

You can twin stick the stock tcase

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I want 4:1 and heavy duty outputs.

When you do this, you simply move the weak link.

For a rig on 40s, IMO the Roxor is a poor choice. To small, too light and too narrow. I’m not sure you’ll even gain any ground clearance past 37s..

joe_and_jeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It's a perfect choice, people (including myself) have been putting one tons and 40s under Wrangler sized vehicles for years.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It's a perfect choice, people (including myself) have been putting one tons and 40s under Wrangler sized vehicles for years.

..and they haven't lasted very long. You are expected a 'ton' from a not 1 ton vehicle.

Can it work? Yes, watch KoH. I hear ya. It can certainly be done well. Do they have a mountain of time, effort, and labor into a setup knowing it won't last without repairs? Yes. You have to re-architect the entire chassis to handle that weight - thereby removing all/most advantage in having a 'new' rig. Or you can get a 90s 1T Dodge, a hacksaw, an afternoon and $8 later you have a D60/D70 V8 (or diesel) rig on 40s.

Wrangler + 40s/1Ts = ripped frame. Wrangler + 35s at anything more than the mall parking lot and you have ripped frame. YJ on 31s and you have a ripped frame. The steering box tears right through the frame at little mroe than stock use, and your brake master has no hope of being useful. This is just the basics to get a functioning rig. Yes, people have been doing for decades, but they have to keep redoing cuz the rigs fall apart.

You rig / your money, but I don't want people on here getting starry eyed thinking they can have a remotely useful vehicle on 40s, for any length of time, without investing 'house worth of money" (which you may well be prepared to do). The vast majority of these hobby rigs end on CL for $2000 with pennies on the dollar returned.

Last edited:

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
When you do this, you simply move the weak link.

For a rig on 40s, IMO the Roxor is a poor choice. To small, too light and too narrow. I’m not sure you’ll even gain any ground clearance past 37s..
I must’ve missed something here, because the bigger the tire the more ground clearance you’ve got, that’s just a fact.....

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I must’ve missed something here, because the bigger the tire the more ground clearance you’ve got, that’s just a fact.....

Only up until the point where you can safely run your axles. If you go huge on the axles, you gotta go even bigger on the tires to get back to the same spot. When you run bigger tires, you stress everything else. My only suggestion is to keep NET ground clearence in mind, not just tire size.

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Only up until the point where you can safely run your axles. If you go huge on the axles, you gotta go even bigger on the tires to get back to the same spot. When you run bigger tires, you stress everything else. My only suggestion is to keep NET ground clearence in mind, not just tire size.

running 37” tires on a Dana 60 will yield about the same clearance as 35” tires on a 44. As far as ton axles under a Roxor goes, a Roxor actually has a boxed frame and is stronger than a Jeep frame. Many, and I mean many of us have been putting Dana 60’s under Jeeps for many many years and running 40” and 42” tires doing some serious wheeling and never torn a frame, its all how they are built, and how intelligent the guy behind the wheel is. I own a fab shop and we do these conversions all the time, without any issues. I love the guys that chime in with what a waste of time this conversion is, but who have never done it, or wheeled a properly converted Jeep......

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
running 37” tires on a Dana 60 will yield about the same clearance as 35” tires on a 44. As far as ton axles under a Roxor goes, a Roxor actually has a boxed frame and is stronger than a Jeep frame. Many, and I mean many of us have been putting Dana 60’s under Jeeps for many many years and running 40” and 42” tires doing some serious wheeling and never torn a frame, its all how they are built, and how intelligent the guy behind the wheel is. I own a fab shop and we do these conversions all the time, without any issues. I love the guys that chime in with what a waste of time this conversion is, but who have never done it, or wheeled a properly converted Jeep......

Most guys don't own a fab shop and make money off other people overbuilding certain parts of a wheeling rig destined for destruction (so they get to get paid again in 5 years). I said this above. YES, you can dump at least 50-60k into having a shop build this rig and do it right. Some will/would. Most of the people that will do this will race or be in some kind of competition, where they KNOW the short/long term effects on the rig itself of thsi size running rotating mass of that sort.

You custom build passenger offset Dana60s? Possible but unlikley. You prolly resell magazine parts and I dont blame you. If you don't use an offset axle, then your response is completely wrong as you're losing another 1/3 effective punpkin ground clearence under your vehicle as you travel across a linear obsticle. One main advantage of dual passenger offset pumpkins is the ability to use that area between the tires to your advantage. This has always been a reason why earlier rigs can do certain obsticles better than later center diff rigs with much larger tires. But in your years of building these, you already knew this.

Last edited:

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We have cut several Dana 60 ford kingpin front axles down, and left the rear centered, if you paid attention to what I said, I said we had been doing it in Jeeps, not roxors. Evidently there’s a misfire in your reading and comprehension skills, as I never stated we had been doing this on a Roxor however, we do have a Dana 60 kingpin front out of a 90’s model Chevy 1 ton and a rear 60 that we are fixing to cut down, and match the Roxor offset and add about 4” worth of width. This is my rig, and I don’t sell catalog parts, I’m the same guy that cut the body of my Roxor and fabbed it up to accept yj doors and fabbed a scrambler half cab into it as well. We own a fab shot moron, we don’t sell catalog parts and I’d venture to say we have a lot more experience than you do. We have put Dana 60 axles under several Jeeps and installed 37” tires with no lift kit, this isn’t my first rodeo, I’m not even sure that you are smart enough to know the Roxor had a boxed frame and not a c style frame like the Jeeps have......

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We have cut several Dana 60 ford kingpin front axles down, and left the rear centered, if you paid attention to what I said, I said we had been doing it in Jeeps, not roxors. Evidently there’s a misfire in your reading and comprehension skills, as I never stated we had been doing this on a Roxor however, we do have a Dana 60 kingpin front out of a 90’s model Chevy 1 ton and a rear 60 that we are fixing to cut down, and match the Roxor offset and add about 4” worth of width. This is my rig, and I don’t sell catalog parts, I’m the same guy that cut the body of my Roxor and fabbed it up to accept yj doors and fabbed a scrambler half cab into it as well. We own a fab shot moron, we don’t sell catalog parts and I’d venture to say we have a lot more experience than you do. We have put Dana 60 axles under several Jeeps and installed 37” tires with no lift kit, this isn’t my first rodeo, I’m not even sure that you are smart enough to know the Roxor had a boxed frame and not a c style frame like the Jeeps have......

Narrow track (note early) Jeeps similar to the Roxor ran a offset rear Dana 41/44 (nearly identical unit to the Roxor) from roughly mid 1945 until 1971. #Facts. They didn't run a centered rear diff (in a Universal) until AMC took over. The decision to move to the centered Dana20 was mostly due to NVH reasons not off road capability or utility use. Look at the "quiet" type marketing going on during the era to sell the early AMC Jeeps.

I know you're the guy that put a CJ7 door on his Roxor. Rather than needing to do all that fab to get a solution you might regret in a year when that fab starts to rust, I'm gonna buy the new OEM top that #JustWorks

You do what you wanna do man, but my warning to anyone reading this is thus: look at the failed CL projects. They are built as this guy describes. Huge tires, often time some shifty af spring over lift, and no chassis mods to compensate. Stock brake master running 1 ton brakes. Steering box pulling the frame apart. Look at $80k magazine JKU bro dozers that need 35s and 37s and Dana60s to get over a Rubican that Willys did in 29" skinnies and Dana25s and "weak" two piece axles. If you've built these as you say, you know I'm not wrong in that to make them last highly modified you have to balance the whole unit. You have to plan for your tire size and redesign plenty of the rig around that weight.

You can sink a mountain of time/money into these. Yes, I'm well aware Roxors have nice frames on paper. We don't know how they will last. YJs had great frames. Boxed and wonderful. Frame swaps were all the rage under CJ7s until the back halves rotted from the inside out. You're in OK. You may not have Great Lakes problems. Obviously our experience is different. No need to throw flames at a guy preaching caution (unless you have a profit motive).

Last edited:

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
No profit motif at all, and we don’t have the salt and rust here, you can still find pickups like the older international scouts here with no rust, that’s not an issue. As far as the fab conversions on the yj doors, once everything is painted I should be good, I obviously wasn’t happy with the factory cab and lack of functionality that the zipper windows and doors offered and that’s why the conversion was done. I will agree there have been some half ass Dana 60 spring over modifications done and some of them do get trashed, but the ones that are done right, they break axles occasionally, u joints, twist shafts, but none of mine ever tore a frame to my knowledge. Having said that the majority of the Jeeps I have converted were running 40” tires, aren’t running big block Chevy motors, they are running inline 6 cylinder motors, and as long as that weight stays below the frame your a lot less likely to tear the hell out of things...

joe_and_jeep

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
20200813_190155.jpg

Now that it's done and I've been wheeling it all summer, coming back to a transfer case swap. This winter, the transmission and transfer case are coming out to start building an adapter.

20200813_190155.jpg

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey Joe, any updates on the transfer case? I just picked up a set of Dana 60s to swap under my roxor. I'm going with 37s however.