ooooooooooo

Filling transmission, diffs and transfer case?

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
How do you guys fill using the top hole/plug?

Is there some kind of tool I need to buy?

Thanks

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
At first I used a pump ro screw ijto a qt size bottle. I bought the one with the best reviews on Amazon. It still leaked after I got half way done with replacing fluids. That was a fail. I did get a refund and tossed the pump in the trash.

For the second half of the job, I just cut the tip of the 1 qt bottle and simply squeezed the bottle, litterally folding it and squeezing it flat to fit into tight spaces.
I also pressed the clear tube that came with the pump over the tip of the bottle, then squeezes the bottle flat. At least one piece of the pump waa useful.

Amsoil sells some of their product in squeeze pouches. Great idea, I think. CJ2ROX and the othee Amsoil guys on here can provide more detail.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If you go amsoil they have containers you specifically buy that don't require a pump. Actually quite genius. Hate dealing with pumps, less waste and less messy

Screenshot_20210926-225614_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for the advice.

If I don't use amsoil, how do I get the lub in the fill hole?

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just go to Walmart in the boating section and get the gear oil pump for the lower unit. Works great with no leaks. I just changed all my fluids with Royal Purple.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I think Walmart carries Atwood brand. It screws onto small mouth quart oil bottles. It will screw onto gear lube bottles but the dip tube will not go all the way to the bottom. I pour my gear oil into a clean old oil bottle and pump until differential is full or bottle is empty. Repeat as necessary. Simple as that. Make sure to use GL4 non ferrous metal safe oil in transmission and transfer case. I use Royal Purple because they have a GL4/5 gear oil they guarantee is metal safe. Amsoil also has similar. Both are excellent. There are others as well.

Joxor889

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nice tips Woodman, I was getting ready to suggest the same.

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I think Walmart carries Atwood brand. It screws onto small mouth quart oil bottles. It will screw onto gear lube bottles but the dip tube will not go all the way to the bottom. I pour my gear oil into a clean old oil bottle and pump until differential is full or bottle is empty. Repeat as necessary. Simple as that. Make sure to use GL4 non ferrous metal safe oil in transmission and transfer case. I use Royal Purple because they have a GL4/5 gear oil they guarantee is metal safe. Amsoil also has similar. Both are excellent. There are others as well.
@Woodsman74881

Re-reading your post and I wonder if I'm understanding it correctly?

Does Royal Purple make a lub that qualifies as both GL4 and GL5 so I wouldn't need to buy each?

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Follow up question;

Is gl-4 a substitute for gl-5. Is gl-5 a substitute for gl-4. Or, is each interchangeable for the other?

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Gl 4 non ferrous safe. Gl 5 only non ferrous safe if it is specified that way. I trust Royal Purple. And amsoil. Quality products. Yes you can use the same in all. GL4/5. Non ferrous safe. Royal Purple. Look at their website for more information.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Gl 4 non ferrous safe. Gl 5 only non ferrous safe if it is specified that way. I trust Royal Purple. And amsoil. Quality products. Yes you can use the same in all. GL4/5. Non ferrous safe. Royal Purple. Look at their website for more information
So if my location is central east MO and North East Mo....

what does that me vis a vis gl4 and gl5?
don't understand what you are asking.