ooooooooooo

Cutting a large hole in the Dash.

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I would like to install a recessed radio in my dash and need to cut a rather large hole in it about 6" X 2 " with rounded corners what do yall think is the best tool for the job. Im not much of a craftsman...
roxor.jpg
roxor.jpg

General

Founding Member
Sharpie your shape, then Dremel. Cutting wheel for the straights, then grind stone for the corners. Or use a 1/2" drill bit for the 4 corners, then cut lines to connect them.
There are better ways out there, but they require specialized milling tools and cutters which many folks don't have. You can probably get away with just cutting a rectangle, because your piece has a flange which will hide the errors. Make sure there's nothing behind the dash where you're planning to put it, or you'll be surprised that your deep unit doesn't fit.

B

Bister

If you're adding the factory defrost to the factory heater, you are pretty much going to have to install the under the grab handle, no?
Which wouldn't be the worst place in the Roxor.

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks guys; just making sure I wasn't missing some cool tool from harbor freight that would pretty much cut itself.(I Wish!) I think it will end up right below the passenger grab handle!

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If you're adding the factory defrost to the factory heater, you are pretty much going to have to install the under the grab handle, no?
Which wouldn't be the worst place in the Roxor.
Did you get your defroster allready!?! I have been waiting a month for all the mahindra parts I ordered when I bought mine in October and not a one yet.

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I was thinking it would be cool to somehow put more lockable storage in the dash, such as something close to a conventional govebox. Seems to be plenty of room to do it I think.

B

Bister

Did you get your defroster allready!?! I have been waiting a month for all the mahindra parts I ordered when I bought mine in October and not a one yet.
No I didn’t get anything other than the heater, but there is a story behind getting that. I’m hoping something shows up this week but I doubt if any of the latest products will be in. I would like my cab, windshield and hitch. They would help the most.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You can use a drill bit for the corners as has been said. But a small air saw or jig saw will be easier to cut the straight lines. I like the air saw personally. I’ve used it many times on my beetle to replace bad metal. Plenty of room if you don’t use the factory heater.

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I was thinking it would be cool to somehow put more lockable storage in the dash, such as something close to a conventional govebox. Seems to be plenty of room to do it I think.
I mounted a locking glovebox in the dash using an air cut-off wheel.
I am looking at mounting a radio receiver next--but first must relocate the lights and horn switch. The glovebox was bought on amazon and is made by Tuffy 035-1. made for CJs

General

Founding Member
Any Idea how thick the dash is or what gauge...
You can easily measure it. The dash is a flat rectangle but the bottom is bent under about an inch. Measure the open bottom edge and you'll find your thickness. Remember it has a thick rubber coating on both sides though, so the metal thickness/gauge will only be half the total measured thickness.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The air saw I mentioned is a reciprocal saw similar to a sawzall. Just smaller. I bought mine at tractor supply for about $25. Blade are cheap on amazon. I’d say the dash is around 14 gauge steel. Thanks for the glovebox info quickshot. Could you send a picture? I’m interested in that myself.

B

Bister

Just a regular JIGSAW with a metal blade will work also. No matter what you use, I suggest covering the area in masking tape first just to reduce scratches to the rest of your dash. It also makes it very easy to measure and mark the spot.

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The air saw I mentioned is a reciprocal saw similar to a sawzall. Just smaller. I bought mine at tractor supply for about $25. Blade are cheap on amazon. I’d say the dash is around 14 gauge steel. Thanks for the glovebox info quickshot. Could you send a picture? I’m interested in that myself.
do you remember what brand the saw was? Thanks

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I agree with covering the dash with masking tape. It does protect finish. The air saw is a Campbell Hausfeld (SP)

Bhayarock

This looks neat, but in my opinion just to install a audio system you could just use some metal brackets and install it under the dashboard, unless you want to install the heater which kind of goes in the same place.
I have this old MM540 back in my ancestral home and there are some pictures of it with some audio system installed
20181204_111506.jpg

Here is how an 1985 mahindra (408 k miles on it) dash looks like, it has an IDI engine so you can see a glow plug heater coil as well. Dont mind the dust in the pictures this thing still runs.
20181204_111418.jpg

20181204_111401.jpg

The other thing in my opinion for accessories such as audio player, fog lamps etc[if you ever run out of the blanks] use round push pull type switches, they are super easy to install and need a simple drill for a bore and they dont intrude on dash space as much.

20181204_111506.jpg