ooooooooooo

Cutting a large hole in the Dash.

B

Bister

I mounted a locking glovebox in the dash using an air cut-off wheel.
I am looking at mounting a radio receiver next--but first must relocate the lights and horn switch. The glovebox was bought on amazon and is made by Tuffy 035-1. made for CJs
I copied the move that some folks made and that was to move the horn and lights to the left side. I did it and the harness just reaches for the top right hand blanks on the left side. Seems more natural for the lights now, horn didn't really mater, but all my switches (heater added) are all in the a row on the left now.

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I copied the move that some folks made and that was to move the horn and lights to the left side. I did it and the harness just reaches for the top right hand blanks on the left side. Seems more natural for the lights now, horn didn't really mater, but all my switches (heater added) are all in the a row on the left now.
I only have one blank slot on the left side that is unused. I am going to have to add a couple , maybe down by the key switch? I also need to add a switch spot for electric lockers. --a little nerve-wracking cutting into the dash-lol

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I put my Stereo up top so i can keep the area in the middle unused for my future heater and hopefully AC units one day

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I did remove original 12v power source on the dash and replaced it with a duel 12v & USB unit--you can see it in the picture.

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So I did it the temp finally got above the teens so I installed the radio in the dash. Took about an hour to cut the hole 4 1/2 inch holes then connected the corners with a jig saw and the recommended bosch blades:cool:. It turned out pretty good I still need to find a way to secure my antenna coax decided to keep it inside the cab rather than risk damage if I run it on the exterior. here is a pic of the final According to my measurements if I decide to add the defroster (heater first i guess) it should fit.
IMG_6360 2 copy.JPG

Astounding mileage (405K miles/657K kms) for your MM540 dear Bhayarock!
I have a couple of queries though:
-Does it is typical for MM540s?
-It seems that the Peugeot 2.5 litre engines are reliable, like the Japanese engines do, or not?
-Do you believe that the Roxor (and the Thar DI) are equally reliable as the good ol' MM540?

sandyx

Founding Member
Meanwhile, let me leave this here. I'm sure bhaya will have some real life bits to add as well.

Screenshot_2019-05-06-20-56-03-429_com.android.chrome.png
Screenshot_2019-05-06-20-56-24-495_com.android.chrome.png
Screenshot_2019-05-06-20-56-37-106_com.android.chrome.png
Screenshot_2019-05-06-21-38-27-266_com.android.chrome.png

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have actually cut my dash in half ! This gives great access to the right side without standing on your head. Made my Jeggs heater install easy. I use a Potor Cable cordless grinder with a very thin cutting wheel., they are so handy that I am on my third one over the last 3 years. On the dash cut when I put the half back I use an aluminum extrusion to cover the cut, looks great and can be open back up anytime. ( I metal trimmed my house using these grinders , don’t leave home without one ! )

Bhayarock

Astounding mileage (405K miles/657K kms) for your MM540 dear Bhayarock!
I have a couple of queries though:
-Does it is typical for MM540s?
-It seems that the Peugeot 2.5 litre engines are reliable, like the Japanese engines do, or not?
-Do you believe that the Roxor (and the Thar DI) are equally reliable as the good ol' MM540?

Little offtopic question may be we can talk more in another topic also reliability is very subjective to how you treat your vehicle.
- I am not sure about thar but I can definitely say about MM540 2.2 l diesel Peugeot engines.
- 405 k is not a typical mileage around 150k or 200k miles would be. The most common problem after 150 k miles is leaking piston rings and motor blowing back with blue smoke however never had overheating problem.
- it's a decent engine and may be close to Japanese engines but not really there, the 405k miles(it's a 1990 model) over the course includes 2 engine rebuilds. 1st at 150k (new rings) and second one at 280k miles ( this had new pistons, rings and reboring of the block) and it's going on good so far.
Somethings I hate about the xdp4.9 Peugeot engines are the IDI injection, in cold weather it's a nightmare to start them, they use mechanical fuel pumps along with fuel water separator which are sometimes hard to maintain.

Thar/ roxor have newer Di engines with turbo and common rail fuel injection which give more power, lesser emissions but the life is more or less the same around 150 to 200k miles, personally i have seen a diesel runaway on a mdi scorpio engine as well so cant say which one is more reliable of the two, but I would prefer mdi just because they are newer but still in my opinion still can't beat Japanese engines such as D4D.

Last edited:

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have actually cut my dash in half ! This gives great access to the right side without standing on your head. Made my Jeggs heater install easy. I use a Potor Cable cordless grinder with a very thin cutting wheel., they are so handy that I am on my third one over the last 3 years. On the dash cut when I put the half back I use an aluminum extrusion to cover the cut, looks great and can be open back up anytime. ( I metal trimmed my house using these grinders , don’t leave home without one ! )