ooooooooooo

Climax Offroad Long Travel Suspension Kits

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
There are a handful of kits out in the wild now. I wanted to start a thread where all the information can be posted up in one area to make it easier for people to find. Write ups, tips and tricks for the install, part numbers, stories, all stuff that may help some one else looking to build a stand out roxor.

I get a lot of phone calls, txt, and private msgs asking questions and I’d love for all of that to be somewhere everyone can see and learn from.

I’ll monitor this thread and answer questions as they come.

No the kit is not on climaxoffroad.com

I do make and sell the kits and they are available in small batches every so often.It’s the very same suspension I engineered when building my roxor to race King of the Hammers.

Rox on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Directions—————————————————————

FAQs ———————————————————————

- Add 1.5 inches of lift to the wrangler springs to get your total roxor lift. IE, 2.5 springs Is 4 inches of total lift. 4 inch is 5.5 etc.

Known Part numbers———————————————-

2.5 inch springs:
Rubicon express 2.5 springs- RE1430
Bushing kit- RE279
Front shocks - 33-104645
Rear shocks- 33-230443

++++++++From Post #182 ++++++++++++++

Update. Rubicon Express is officially out of business. Springs seem to still be readily available. The RE number for bushings is out of stock everywhere.

*The long travel kit uses 9/16 leaf spring bolts. 1/2 bolts will work but 9/16 is ideal.

Here are alternative options.

non greasable

RuffStuff part number - R1957 (you will need 8 and (8) 9/16 bolts)

or greasable bushings

KJ02023 (you will need 2 kits)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Springs

- Zone/BDS springs are a tad soft for a roxor and I do not recommend them if you have a bunch of accessories.

- Rough County springs are cheap but you get what you pay for. I would not suggest them if you use off-road.

- Rustys Offroad makes 4 inch lift springs that should work and come with bushings installed. P# RC-LS400F-YJ (not sure of bolt size)

- SkyJacker ROCK READY YJ springs will work with the kit and I have ran them myself and was very happy with them. P3 YJ45FS

- A spring that is untested is Pro Comp 2.5 Inch Front Leaf Spring - 11211 this will bolt up but I'm insure of the spring rate you may need to add
a leaf. this is also not a military wrap spring from what I can tell.

- There are many other options out there.

*** If you find any spring is too soft with all of your accessories weighing your Roxor down you can add a leaf using ProComp Part # EXP13120

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait List/ Order form------------------------

Attachments

• Long Travel Kit.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 884
Last edited:

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey @Max A. Can I get a measurement on this hole? Looks like it's maybe 3mm from the top of the frame, how far back is it? I prefer metric measurements if possible. I'm just about ready to burn your kit onto Jezebel.

My buddy is a union welder, used to tight spaces... Should I go ahead and drop the fuel tank or do you think it's doable without dropping?

The rear shackle relocation should move 2.5 inches forward eye to eye. You can move it back slightly if you desire. Moving it back will give you a lightly stiffer rear suspension upping payload load capacity. I found 2.5 is the sweet spot for a trail rig.

You may consider moving it rearward a 1/4 inch or so if you have 4 people in your Roxor often.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
What issues are there to install these kits? Also what kinda of cost range are we talking about?

The kit is not a complete lift kit as many want to think it is.

It’s more of a kit to adapt to Wrangler leaf springs and correct the suspension geometry for a much smoother and flexible suspension without giving up utilitarian characteristics of the roxor.

Cons-

-The kits requires minor welding grinding and drilling.
-The kit requires a front driveshaft be made (I can help with that)

Pros-
-You can keep up with your friends in rzrs in the woods.
-Still drive it down the highway.
-Still pull a trailer full of firewood back to camp.
-The kit stretches the front axle out about an inch for better tire clearance.
-Substantially increases your suspension flexibility for rock crawling.
-It keeps spring under axle for maximum stability/ or spring it over for big a** tractor tires in the mud!
-It replaces the short weak front leafs with a more suitable spring.
-Wrangler springs are inexpensive and some are better quality then small batch springs that cost more to produce.
-You choose the amount of lift or load capacity.
- King of the Hammers race proven doing 75mph+ through the rough desert.

Cost is up to you. The kit from me is about $650. And that’ll go down if steel prices drop. (They are ridiculous right now).

You will supply wrangler springs of your choice. They normally dance for $75-200 per corner depending on your choice of spring/brand. You’ll also source shock ($200 rancho shocks, $5000 king shocks, or anything in between) and have at least a front drive shaft made normally about $260 from Tom Woods.

Last edited:

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Great post Max, you definitely do your homework before you market something. I have taken your advise in the past and I'm glad I have. In the future if I'm in the market for something I will see if you have one for sale first. Always look forward to reading and learning from your posts!

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Great post Max, you definitely do your homework before you market something. I have taken your advise in the past and I'm glad I have. In the future if I'm in the market for something I will see if you have one for sale first. Always look forward to reading and learning from your posts!

Thanks buddy!

Kake America

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That is amazing how smooth your ride looked! Great job, how did the repairs to the frame go?

Leslie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Currently running Max's front/rear shackle lift and long-travel kit is on the way so here are my comments and questions:

My goal is improved ride performance over lift as my Roxor is used 95% on the farm/ranch and we are consistently getting in and out of the vehicle.

Want to go with 1.5” springs that will give me 3” total lift – from what I read.

Will I be sacrificing ride comfort using 1.5” springs instead of 2.5” springs?

I can buy any YJ springs for years ’87 – ’95, same springs for front & back, and springs listed for use as spring over lift will also work for this lift. Correct?

Best manufacturer(s) to source springs from?

Do I need to buy spring bushings and if yes, point me in the right direction?

Want to use Bilstein shocks so what are part numbers?

Will my stock front driveshaft work with this amount of lift?

Plan on running 255/85/16 tires with spacers and already have front extended brake lines.

Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks to Max and other who can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
@Leslie

Want to go with 1.5” springs that will give me 3” total lift – from what I read.
-Correct

Will I be sacrificing ride comfort using 1.5” springs instead of 2.5” springs?
-The more arched the spring the more travel you will have. 1.5 will have similar "smoothness" as any other spring lift size but you will be sacrificing wheel travel. I think 1.5 will be fine for just cruising around the ranch.

I can buy any YJ springs for years ’87 – ’95, same springs for front & back, and springs listed for use as spring over lift will also work for this lift. Correct?
-Some manufactures have different part numbers for front and rear YJ springs. dimensionally they are the same spring. some manufactures have a pinion wedge to the rear spring to correct drive angle (not needed in the roxor with this kit). I run front springs all around. Any yj dimension spring will work.

Best manufacturer(s) to source springs from?
-I have fun Rubicon express and Sky Jacker's Rock Ready springs. The Sky Jackers are soft so I would not recommend them. The RE springs are great. If a spring is too soft for your application you can always add a leaf.

Do I need to buy spring bushings and if yes, point me in the right direction?
- You will need bushings for whatever spring you decide to buy. Using the standard twangler 9/16th spring bolts.

Want to use Bilstein shocks so what are part numbers?
-You will have to take measurements and do some research. Id love for you to post your measurements and part numbers you end up using. I only know what others have used. and no one has done a 1.5 spring yet. Ill do what i can to point you in the right direction.

Will my stock front driveshaft work with this amount of lift?
-Unknow with 1.5 inch lift.

Plan on running 255/85/16 tires with spacers and already have front extended brake lines.

Am I forgetting anything?
-If your using the roxor for hauling a good bit of payload you may want to go with a heavy duty rear spring or get a add a leaf.

Thanks to Max and other who can point me in the right direction.
-No problem! Thanks for contributing to the thread!

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
FYI. Batch 2 kits (sold out) will be shipping by the end of the week.

MaXXis85

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'll be installing Max's kit on my 2019 Roxor.
I currently have 1.5" lift shackle up front, 33" tires, muffler and cat delete, DF stage 2 tune, winch, and home made bumper. Just these things have made it a capable machine for everyday use. Looking forward to getting back into the wheeling game. I got out in 2013 when my first child was born, Now both my boys love the Roxor.

Ill document the install for you guys as well.

Shocks: I read with the 2.5 springs you use a 10" travel shock. Now I'm using 4" springs, and will try to utilize the stock shock mounts. Bilstein has 5125's in 10-11-12" travels. Max and I have spoken briefly about valving so once I have the lengths calculated, I will share.

Current plan is to run 37's on this setup. Got a deal from a buddy with used 37" Truxus MT on 15x10 allied Beadlocks.

axles will have chromo front shafts, 30 spline inners, 27 outers with lockouts. For the time being I will run a Lunchbox locker and 5.38's
Rear will be converted to OTR full float kit, 30 spline inners, 27 spline outers with the provided drive slug. Lunchbox locker and 5.38's
If I have any issues with axles, I will upgrade to 1 tons in the futures. But Realistically I think the axles will live as my last rig was a Toyota on 38's without any ill effects.

I have brake line parts here that can share once I locate all the part numbers.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The ive been told that the shocks that work best with the 2.5 lift springs is bilstein 33-104645.

I do have extended shock towers for roxors that don’t require any fender cutting, but they will only work with axle swaps. The stock axle is too narrow for outboard shocks.

50b6257c4a88261278abae8d366e744e.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As far is I know all 6 kits out right now are using bilstein 33-104645 on all 4 corners with 2.5 springs.

MaXXis85

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As far is I know all 6 kits out right now are using bilstein 33-104645 on all 4 corners with 2.5 springs.

that's what I recall you saying. They are 10" travel. I want to verify if we need the 11" or 12" for the stock locations.

MaXXis85

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As for steering, I plan on building a heim system as they are plenty strong and readily available. Retaining the stock axles limits you on steering options. Otherwise Id have to try to get a steering arm. Max pointed out the taper on the GM DLE's are pretty big and will be reaming ALOT of material out of the pitman arm and the steering arms on the knuckle. He uses FJ ends but also has a different steering arm/ axle/ Hence me using heim joint will allow me to connect both rod ends on the Passenger steering arm with a through bolt.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
For the record, stock steering components do work just fine with the 2.5 inch YJ springs.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As for steering, I plan on building a heim system as they are plenty strong and readily available. Retaining the stock axles limits you on steering options. Otherwise Id have to try to get a steering arm. Max pointed out the taper on the GM DLE's are pretty big and will be reaming ALOT of material out of the pitman arm and the steering arms on the knuckle. He uses FJ ends but also has a different steering arm/ axle/ Hence me using heim joint will allow me to connect both rod ends on the Passenger steering arm with a through bolt.

Single shear heim steering scares me.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
For the record, stock steering components do work just fine with the 2.5 inch YJ springs.

Somebody needs to come out with a bolt in heavy duty upgrade. Sorta like the Currie setup for the TJ’s. Heavier tubing and stouter tie rod ends.