ooooooooooo

Long Distance Road Trip

Atomus

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
My longest road trip with my Roxor is just a little under 1400 miles. It took me 3 days to complete and not using interstate highways. Let's see what others have been able to do.
Screenshot_20230507_081534_Maps.jpg

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Wow, that's pretty impressive. My longest trip was from the baby lions back camp site in Moab to the fallen officers trail and back. Maybe35miles total, lol

Vinny

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yeah. I agree with Roxasuras. IMPRESSIVE! Yep, and I also thought my trip from Prescott to Phoenix without Interstates was something to brag about.? I'll just shut up now.?

lcp

Did you have any street legality issues passing thru Texas? I live in central Texas and have been wondering if I can drive it to town.

Atomus

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Did you have any street legality issues passing thru Texas? I live in central Texas and have been wondering if I can drive it to town.
I had no problems with that. I think it was mostly due to the fact that most people and police mistake it for a Willie jeep. But even if I was pulled over I got a South Dakota plate on it along with street insurance. Also I'm able to maintain 55 to 60 mph without red lining the engine.
This picture was just before the trip and me adding the license plate.
20230314_171115.jpg

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's a long way for a road trip, you will probably never get anyone to top that here. My cruise control leg would have given up while still in Az

lcp

I'll have to see about some kind of license plate for Texas. After such a long trip, what modifications do you see as most beneficial if someone is planning to use their Roxor for a daily driver or for similar long drives?

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Apparently Transfer case is a failure point..one guy here uses it as his daily driver in FL. Transfer going out. I'm a firm believer in making things last by the lubricate I use. Don't pit cheap crap in the unit. A few of us here are amsoil dealers and I for one swear by it. Swap out everything to a quality fluid

lcp

Apparently Transfer case is a failure point..one guy here uses it as his daily driver in FL. Transfer going out. I'm a firm believer in making things last by the lubricate I use. Don't pit cheap crap in the unit. A few of us here are amsoil dealers and I for one swear by it. Swap out everything to a quality fluid
I have an old commercial account with Amsoil and have used it almost exclusively for the last 28 years or so with the exception of my Roxor's transmission and x-fer case. I read quite a few posts and articles about sticking with a strictly GL-4 (not a GL-4 and GL-5 compatible) fluid to protect the yellow metal parts in the units. It spooked me a little, so I wound up putting Redline GL-4 in both. I don't know if this is the best plan, but it's what I did. I have Amsoil in the diffs and engine, though. It's definitely high quality stuff.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I believe this is more of a design and usage issue than a fluid issue. I don’t believe these t cases are meant for sustained high speed use. Kinda like the flatties since this is a very similar t case, an almost exact copy. If I remember right the fluid gets frothy with high speed sustained usage. And then these t cases don’t hold a lot oil to begin with so that further exacerbates the problem. I’d suggest a yearly fluid change or perhaps every 7500 miles along with a high quality oil. @Jesse Torque King 4x4 what’s your opinion on this?

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have an old commercial account with Amsoil and have used it almost exclusively for the last 28 years or so with the exception of my Roxor's transmission and x-fer case. I read quite a few posts and articles about sticking with a strictly GL-4 (not a GL-4 and GL-5 compatible) fluid to protect the yellow metal parts in the units. It spooked me a little, so I wound up putting Redline GL-4 in both. I don't know if this is the best plan, but it's what I did. I have Amsoil in the diffs and engine, though. It's definitely high quality stuff.
I have amsoil in everything. Did the right fluid specs in each location. I also don't get above 55 rarely.

Last edited:

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
August will be 3 years since I've had mine and I still don't even have 1000 miles on it. I'm impressed so many people are willing to drive so far.

Atomus

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'll have to see about some kind of license plate for Texas. After such a long trip, what modifications do you see as most beneficial if someone is planning to use their Roxor for a daily driver or for similar long drives?
First I recommend the stage 1 tune by diesel freak. Second, if it's a roxor with the 5.38 gears, 35 inch tall tires for increasing your speed while decreasing the rpm. With this I can get 55 mph @ 2300 rpm which means I get to see the back roads and not the interstates.

Reactions: lcp

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My longest road trip with my Roxor is just a little under 1400 miles. It took me 3 days to complete and not using interstate highways. Let's see what others have been able to do.
View attachment 12325
The oem seats really sucks after 200 miles in one day, I can only imagine how uncomfortable your bottom was. Almost similar to the iron butt challenge

WhistlePig

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
First I recommend the stage 1 tune by diesel freak. Second, if it's a roxor with the 5.38 gears, 35 inch tall tires for increasing your speed while decreasing the rpm. With this I can get 55 mph @ 2300 rpm which means I get to see the back roads and not the interstates.
I have a 2019 all stock minus windshield, rear seat and rear bumper. I put 10,500 miles on it with the df stage 1. I had the stage 2 done a couple weeks ago, and I kick myself for not doing it earlier. If you're getting a tune go for the stage 2 and don't look back!

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have a 2019 all stock minus windshield, rear seat and rear bumper. I put 10,500 miles on it with the df stage 1. I had the stage 2 done a couple weeks ago, and I kick myself for not doing it earlier. If you're getting a tune go for the stage 2 and don't look back!
I was skeptical as well especially hearing many people claiming they can't tell the difference from DF tunes vs others. But a stage 2 tune from DF exceptionally blows any other stages from other companies. A stage 1 DF tune is probably similar to other competitors and therefore less noticeable of a difference; however, a stage 2 DF blows every other tune in terms of power, plus Wade can even reprogram your RPMS for you if you wanted

Atomus

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Are you still running the stock turbo with the stage 2 tune? I was under the impression that the stock turbo is ok up to 100 hp and a large one was needed to be efficient over the hp.

WhistlePig

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Engine is all stock besides the tune and wastegate restriction orifice thing. I don't think I'm getting quite the 115hp the tune should be able to produce because I still have the stock leaking intake. When I first ran it with the stage 2 I got a chuckle because I thought I could hear a slight wastegate his when I was shifting during hard acceleration, but now I'm not so sure it isn't just a leak at the intake. I really need to get around to putting the intake connection kit on... Even with the loss of charged air I'm super impressed with the performance gain. I got it because I was tired of losing speed going up hills on the state highways, and it helped tremendously. I also was pleasantly surprised with the 60+mph acceleration. I can now actually get out and pass vehicles going 60-65 in a 70.

WY_ROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
just picked up a 2022 roxor, and thinking I am going to jump to the DF stage 2. I will run it stock for a while and see how it preforms. No issues still running it stock? I will daily drive the roxor around WY.

OffRoad709

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The oem seats really sucks after 200 miles in one day, I can only imagine how uncomfortable your bottom was. Almost similar to the iron butt challenge
100% correct on those seats. Currently looking for a replacement for them