ooooooooooo

Anyone out there ever get a Roxor registered as a UTV in Wisconsin?

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I live in Western WI where most of the township roads are legal to drive on with a registered UTV. I am also about a mile away from a major UTV trail.
My question is "Has anyone ever been to register a Roxor as a UTV in Wisconsin?" My concern is it doesn't make the legal description of a UTV due to 2000lb weight limit and tires restrictions. These are super cool and I would(will) buy one if I don't have to worrying about getting fined or worse my vehicle impounded because I wasn't able to obtain a registration sticker from the State. At 18 grand I don't want to find out the hard way. Any help would be appreciated - Mark

toolsinaction

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I live in Western WI where most of the township roads are legal to drive on with a registered UTV. I am also about a mile away from a major UTV trail.
My question is "Has anyone ever been to register a Roxor as a UTV in Wisconsin?" My concern is it doesn't make the legal description of a UTV due to 2000lb weight limit and tires restrictions. These are super cool and I would(will) buy one if I don't have to worrying about getting fined or worse my vehicle impounded because I wasn't able to obtain a registration sticker from the State. At 18 grand I don't want to find out the hard way. Any help would be appreciated - Mark
Call Dirtlegal.com they are a sponsor of this forum.

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

Thanks for the reply. I looked a their website as you suggested. To be clear I'm not interested in trying to make it public road legal.
I just want to know if I can take it legally the same places I can take any other UTV in Wisconsin.
I am simply looking to hear from someone on this forum that has actually done this (to see if can actually be done.)
At that point I can look at the manner to achieve registration whether it be through the WI DNR or through a third party like "Dirtlegal"
Mark

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It’s too heavy to trail ride it. We need to get the definitions changed in the legal system.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
IMO motorsport tourism would explode if 60” wide “Jeep like” (willys era, sammies, roxor) vehicles were allowed for trail usage.

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
It’s too heavy to trail ride it. We need to get the definitions changed in the legal system.

jrobz23, When you say we need to change the legal definition Do you know of any legislation in the mix that will be addressing that? I know the BFGs are an issue as well (not low pressure). I would also think the logistics differentiating the Roxor from other small 4x4s (as you stated) would be an obstacle. How does one argue the copy should be legal but the original shouldn't. I agree it would be a boom the motorsport tourism industry but if you let every swinging d*ck in a vehicle under 3100# on the public trails, the trails would be destroyed, which would likely ruin it for everyone.

Just curious, since you are from Wisconsin as well, where do you drive yours? I have a farm and some acreage but it sure would be nice to take it off the property once in a while. At this point I can assume the answer to my original question "Has anyone ever been able to register a Roxor as a UTV in Wisconsin? is likely a NO(?)

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I own acreage and I drive around local roads.

I don't know of any current projects to open them up to #3100. I would think if you keep the width and weight, you basically remove most of the vehicles that will do most of the damage. I cant see how a Willys will do more damage than a 6 passenger UTV. Those things are huge.

Orig Q: No. Not to my knowledge since the weight alone is the block.

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I was gonna start a project to open em up with a few other Jeepers in my area. Start at the county level and move up.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nothing new here actually, old Jeeps, Sammie’s , old Broncos , etc. have been wheelin for many years. Not every event is a mud hole affair. Here in Mi. My Samurai traveled all the forest two tracks and , without the need for stickers , cause it was plated. The UTV guys did the same trails only faster, still no competition. Some of the rds we traveled were logging rds., in various state of conditions depending when the last time the area was logged. I have 500 acres behind my house loaded with two tracks. These vehicles UTV ? Were not allowed on ATV trails , many that are located in National and State Forests. ( None near me ). snow Machines always took priority, their trails were numbered, some were county rds. The difference was they were allowed to run the ditches along all highways, UTVs are not, plated or not.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I think for many , the CJ title is the best place to start. .........I wonder how many CJ s have gone back to once they came status ? Few people return their original title to the state. I have several titles in my files where I had cut up the chassis after salvaging the motor.........unfortunately none of them are Jeeps.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I think for many , the CJ title is the best place to start. .........I wonder how many CJ s have gone back to once they came status ? Few people return their original title to the state. I have several titles in my files where I had cut up the chassis after salvaging the motor.........unfortunately none of them are Jeeps.

That's the best way. I'm insured, registered and and driving happily

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Bet you're right. I think if your state allows it, staying as close to OEM titling as possible might be the best long term, specially if you roam aorund the country. If they state is funny about this stuff, CJ mashup and a CJ title is likley a solid approach. Likely a little grey area on the legality side, though. I got a few old CJs around with titles and plates. I hope I don't have to go there, but might be a decent backup backup plan. :p

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not really interested in registering it for the street. I don't think I would try to pass it off as an old CJ to get this done. The police here in WI don't have a sense of humor about shenanigans like that. Probably a good way to get a shiny new 4x4 taken away. I would just be happy to get it registered as a UTV and use it as the Roxox was intended. It's looking like that really isn't an option without taking some artistic massaging of the law. - Mark

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I was not suggesting breaking the law in anyway. .......it’s sort of the Jonny Cash song , “ one pc at a time” if you accumulate over time many parts, then put it all together........what do you have ?

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I was not suggesting breaking the law in anyway. .......it’s sort of the Jonny Cash song , “ one pc at a time” if you accumulate over time many parts, then put it all together........what do you have ?

That’s how I feel. The body and many of the parts are already very similar to a cj7. If you combined a roxor with a bunch of parts from a cj7 than you now have a custom Jeep. I realize it’s a grey area but your not hurting anyone. That’s what’s most important.

Personally I’ve Modified the roll bar, grill, modified the windshield and lighting. I’ve added bench seats and rear seat belts. Its no longer a stock roxor anymore and that’s my official position with the state.

Here in Washington the cops are mainly focus on thieves who swap vins on stolen cars. Obviously my original Jeep and now my roxor were both mine.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
From what I can tell , you can order copy steel parts for aCJ 7 . I wonder frame too ? .......in the big truck world you can order what is called a “ glider” you get frame all cab parts complete except motor and usually rear gear assembly’s. I think a new title is issued using the word. Glider.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
From what I can tell , you can order copy steel parts for aCJ 7 . I wonder frame too ? .......in the big truck world you can order what is called a “ glider” you get frame all cab parts complete except motor and usually rear gear assembly’s. I think a new title is issued using the word. Glider.

Ya I hear they do that because the new trucks are terribly unreliable with all the extra emissions stuff so people keep the old one's going and get creative with combining old trucks with new ones. It's perfectly ok and just like the roxor/jeep issue.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Actually glider kits were a cost factor when they first went on sale in the Fifties. However today, truckers like to keep the old girl going, even tith a million miles. That fact that a new truck costs 200,000 has sonthing to do with it also. Some states , like California won’t let trucks come across their borders if they are older than 10 years. ( Without pre inspection and certification) my motorhome is like that, I have a 500 hp Cummins but because it’s older, no def required ,!

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

I understand and I'm not not necessarily a stickler to the law but as I stated prior my intent was not to try get it road legal. I haven't purchase a Roxor yet because of the question that precipitated this post. I've had several four wheel drive over the years (Jeeps, Sammy, 4x4 Van, and countless 4x4 trucks) I currently have a late model Ram 2500 Cummins (with all the hop ups) and a super clean, warmed and lifted '96 Dodge 2500 Club Cab (and 570 Sportsman and 400 HO.)

IMG_20180820_101918 (3).jpg

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I know you don’t get issued a title like Michigan but does your certificate of origin say what it is than if not a UTV.