ooooooooooo

Tune/flash

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm not trying to say anything bad about about KMS, because they seem like a really nice mom and pop kind of place (good people with good intentions). I love to give my business to these types of hard working people so I don't want to talk bad about their product on the internet, but my tune smokes like crazy and it bothers me! I didn't notice it until wife took it for a ride with her dad and asked me to take a picture. If you give it gas, this thing shoots out a significant black plume of smoke! My stock tune did not do this at all, but this tune definitely "Rolls Coal", which is not what I was after. I just assumed that this was a byproduct of the increased performance. Let me tell you that the increase in performance is dramatic, but nobody else seems to have this smoking issue.. After reading all of the replies, I have to ask, am I the only one seeing this?

Tinfoil Hat

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Here is what they said

"Unfortunately it appears that Mohindra made a few changes that we were unaware of when designing the new tune. A couple of the newer models have had some issues with the programming in our tune. We are bringing in a Roxor from a dealer to do testing, in order to update our tune. We are committed to selling only high quality products that deliver reliable power and performance, that our customers will be happy with for the long haul. We will get you updated as soon as we have completed testing and updated the tune. We don't anticipate it taking long to complete the process. Thank you so much for your patience." ---KMS Performance

I get a little paranoid messing with the computer systems.
If you have a 2018, why don't they just send you the "old" tune. If the problem is only with the changes that Mahindra made on the 2019's then they should be able to send you one with whatever yesterday's tune was and there isn't an issue. Unless there is a problem with the tune that they sent out for the 2018's as well...

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I unplugged the speedometer on my 2018 and according to tomtom and another GPS app, I've hit 80 mph with a guy riding shotgun. The last few times I have opened it up. I've hit 75-76mph. So I'm thinking the stage 1 tune with egr delete will be just fine for me. I just dont see how 75 is all some folks are getting unless I missed something related to the whole tuning concept....

Djrmt406

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm barely able to get up 65 on flat ground with my KMS stage 1. I would agree that the stage 1 has only modest gains, I honestly think I went faster with the factory ecm and unplugging the speedo sensor, although I've added front and rear limited slip diffs which could account for being slightly slower now.

Skymarc

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I put in the KMS stage 3 and it really change the Roxor. It starts fine and no smoke. I can hit 70 mph +.

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Count me OUT.... I wanna Roll Coal on these jeeps around town! Who's got a smoke tune?

JoeMc

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
  1. Installed the KMS TUNER stage 3 today. It will not roll coal, but it runs great. Have not had the chance to run it on the road yet. Taking it to the deer lease this weekend. I'll run down the road at the deer lease.

b-pinkerton

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have installed the KMS stage 3 as well. No doubt the power and throttle response is a game changer. I am having 2-3 issues though that I'm wondering if others are having as well.
1. Rough/louder than normal idle. RPMs are over 900 until you give it a few revs and it will go back to around 850. Even at 850 is doesn't sound like it did before the tune, just sounds not near as smooth as before.
2. Dies after cold start. It was low 40s this weekend and I could not keep it running when I was starting it for the first time of the morning. I have never had it not fire right up and stay running before. I would have to turn the key to run to prime and the wait for the "Wait to Start" light to turn off. It would fire up and then die a few seconds later almost like there is air in the fuel line or that the pump isn't continuing to send fuel. Only way I kept it running was to rev it to 1200 or so for about 5 mins. Sometimes it would still die as soon as I let it go back to idle. Problem seemed to go away when it warmed up.

Has anyone else experienced these things? I may end up calling KMS today to see if they have heard anything.

JoeMc

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'll let you know how mine does. The motor was already up to temperature when I installed the ECU. I have not done a cold start yet. I have seen on line people have cold start problems.

dieselfreak

Founding Member
Vendor
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We now have our 2020 tuning complete. Auto or manual and adjustable through 5 position switch.

IMG_1066.jpg

dieselfreak

Founding Member
Vendor
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Can you leak any info on the 2020 year model?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Not much to leak other than their are some tuning improvements, grill has changed and gearing is 5.38.

Tokarev

Not much to leak other than their are some tuning improvements, grill has changed and gearing is 5.38.

Thanks. As you know, there's been much speculation and drama over the changes coming to the 2020 lineup.

Tokarev

I'm running the KMS Stage 3. The cold starts have now smoothed out with no signs of the cold start roughness I initially experienced upon first installing the ECU. I don't hear any unusual noises and the vibrations seem similar to when the unit was stock. The motor idles around 850 rpms and doesn't stall. The Roxor is now quicker and pulls much better in the top three gears. Overall, I am pleased with the tune.
Just put my KMS stage 3 ECU in this afternoon. Installation is exactly as expected. It took five minutes start to finish.

I only have about an hour on the rig now but it fired right up and idled perfectly right after the swap. Pulls good now. I had it up to 68 mph in traffic. Fun stuff.

I just topped off the tank and will check mileage now with the new ECU and windshield. Mileage with old ECU and no windshield was 28-29 miles per gallon around town with the occasional jaunt on state highways.

JoeMc

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I put mine in about 3 weeks ago (stage 3 ), 950rpm's on a cold start up (little ruff when it's cold). It goes back down to around 850 when it is warmed up. I have only had it up to 60mph. It don't know how fast it will go. I had a hard time getting it to 60. But I didn't do the upgrade for the speed. I have already done the exhaust work. Next step will be the clutch upgrade. I will not drive it any harder than I did when it was stock; time will tell.

Tokarev

I will not drive it any harder than I did when it was stock; time will tell.

I don't plan on rodding mine but it is kind of fun to snort around. I just wanted an upgrade to make the rig a little peppier and remove the governor.

Since I'm not wanting a race car I had planned on Stage 1 with the idea that it would be enough. KMS talked me into Stage 3.

JoeMc

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I don't plan on rodding mine but it is kind of fun to snort around. I just wanted an upgrade to make the rig a little peppier and remove the governor.

Since I'm not wanting a race car I had planned on Stage 1 with the idea that it would be enough. KMS talked me into Stage 3.

Thanks, let me know how it works out for you. I'm just wondering how these KMS tuners will do it the long run.

Woody

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Not to be a broken record here, but I did the egr delete and vivid Stage 1. The entire process was simple and the results were great. Very noticeable power improvement. No significant smoke and sounds like a diesel is supposed to. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing, so I will not be modifying the engine any further. I would highly recommend to put this beast where it belongs.

Tokarev

Drove about 50 miles today around town. Mostly stop and go with a short jaunt on a secondary road with few stop lights.

The rig is way more driveable now. Pulls easily at stop lights and runs smooth and easy at 55. Gets there pretty quickly too.

Money well spent. Hopefully the computer is of good quality and won't vibrate to death or something.

Also did my second oil change. No metal fuzz on the drain plug. Nearing 1500 miles on the odometer.

Tokarev

Okay so initial mileage with new tune and windshield appears to be 25 mpg. Down from about 28-29 with no windshield and old brain.

Is the better drivability with a couple mpg? Maybe. But I know the windshield is!