ooooooooooo

tune and mods and questions

gpfred

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
getting a 2018 roxor---before even drive it want a stage one tune-- new 2.5 exhaust--warn lock out hubs -- wheel spaces -- windshield -- and 2 inch reciever-- do i need to do egr delete ?? i know nothing about this but could get the job done myself if there is a kit or something--will exhaust make lots difference?? thoughts on wheel spacers?? 2 inck bolt on reciever strong enough to pull my boat 60 miles to the lake

General

Founding Member
Welcome! That's quite a list of upgrades. Luckily those topics have been extensively discussed throughout this forum. Use the "Search" box in the upper right corner. Everything you listed can be installed yourself with basic hand tools.

Briefly:
Exhaust: not many people use them. Unless you're dong a heavy ECU tune, you won't benefit from it. You can always buy it later, so save that for Round 2.
Hubs: same as any old 4x4. Help on the pavement, cheap, easy to install. Many people here have tried Warn and Mile Marker models.
Spacers: not necessary unless you're getting 33+ inch tires and a lift. This is another good thing to save for Round 2 of modifications, when you've worn out the stock wheels and tires and are looking to replace them with something bigger.
Windshield: Lots of options here: Mahindra original (recalled), Mahindra replacement, OnTheRox, Fortress, Jeep CJ7 (requires minor modification). Costs are similar. You have to decide which wipers and top you want it to go with, because these different options aren't compatible with every top/wiper combo out there.
Tow receiver: Mixed reviews on the Mahindra product, not super beefy, but well made. There are stronger options out there, or easy D.I.Y.
EGR delete: it's usually included with your ECU tune. This site has lots of troubleshooting for EGR topics, and you'll want to discuss it carefully with the shop you choose to do your tune.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
General summed it up well, so I'll only touch on two: EGR and windshield

EGR - If you are not legally bound to keeping it, ditch it like a bad date. It's 100% terrible (even at the very thing it espouses to be good at)

Windshield - Make this decision with much thought. Right now, the windshield choice defines what your Roxor will be. That may not be the case in 2 years, but today it is. The OTR is very much like a 3A windshield. Old school, flat and simple. General did an excellent job with a CJ style windshield. Check out his thread for pics. There are pretty much the three camps right now:

Roxor OEM - Generally good fit and finish and should work with future off the shelf Roxor parts
OTR - Clean bolt-on solution but compatibility with future OEM tops/doors/etc is a risk. OTR is working on a complete top/doors package.
CJ - IMO Unbeatable vintage CJ looks but compatible with no known full enclosures solutions and incompatible with OEM ROPS

None of the above are 'cheap' solutions. After much deliberation I opted for the OTR setup. I had a 3rd party "Meyers" equipped '57 CJ5 and that setup was solid here 60+ years later. My hope was a repeat of that. As of now, I'm in the OTR camp as I've seen 3rd party outfitters do work that endures.

The CJ styling setup IMO is the best looking. If a company comes forward with a CJ7 style full soft enclosure, this approach will become VERY popular.

The Roxor OEM parts bin is neat but we don't have very good exposure to a pipeline of products.

One to keep an eye on is the Thar parts bin. This may end up similar enough to the CJ stuff to make many happy and potentially offer some good fit and finish. This one is TDB and I am watching closely.

Last edited:

tcxtreme

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I had the EGR delete done in the ECU and you can keep all the parts on the engine if you want. They just wont work. Exhaust makes it sound awesome. There are videos on the Dyno if you want to look at performance gains

gpfred

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
yep thats what i was getting at --just didnt word it right-- got the roxor last night - drove it for about 15 minutes and was very disappointed in performance-- i knew it was gonna be poochy but didnt expect that ----- gonna go with vivid and get tune cold air intak and boost valve---- hope that has results m hoping for

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
IMO it feels very much like a bigger FHead; very torquey and tractorey. If you're expecting a small block Chevy, this it is not.

I was fine with the stock performance, actually. I got the tune for the Speed Limiter and EGR deletes.

PS: Did you click in your seat belt? It goes to limp mode with it unclipped.

Last edited:

gpfred

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
yes seat belt was clicked -- wife fell in love and ill probly lose it on sunny days --- but makes after market parts easier to explain--- ITS FOR HER LOL

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Fortress also makes a dot approved windshield. Both tilting and non for a competitive price.

suzanv

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am looking to get a chip to tune the roxor. Something that plug in the available OBD connector. I just want the EGR off, the speed limiter set at 95 kmh and the engine up by about 20%. Then I will be able to return to stock if somebody else use our machine.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am looking to get a chip to tune the roxor. Something that plug in the available OBD connector. I just want the EGR off, the speed limiter set at 95 kmh and the engine up by about 20%. Then I will be able to return to stock if somebody else use our machine.

There are no "chips" for the Roxor that I know of. If you want a quick return to stock, get a space ECU and keep it flashed with the OEM tune. EGR disable works perfectly with this as you dont have to remove the EGR to stop it from ruining your engine.

sandyx

Founding Member
The 'chip' solution would be the Racedynamics Dieseltronic tuning box for Thar. I don't think it will remove the limiter or EGR delete but It will switch tune maps on the fly. Search "dieseltronic roxor" on YouTube for more.

Jgeib

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I did the Vivid Racing Tune. Stage1, puts the torque and horsepower in a perfect range. Great service, I would recommend them.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I used the Chip Express Tuner module for Thar/Roxor. They are out of Brittain. Works Great. Does not affect your ECU at all. Hooks into your fuel rail. Performance is great. Things it does not do. Eliminate EGR/Speed limiter. For me right now this works fine. I bought some block off plates and blocked the EGR valve. Left the EGR intact and hooked up to wiring harness. No codes. All is well. One thing I do like about this tuner, is if I have a warranty issue, I just unplug the tuner and take into shop. I ordered a spare ECU from KMS racing in Phoenix. I havn't got it yet but will run it when it arrives. They are backlogged right now. Not sure where their ECU is made, but it carries the same Bosch Chip as the Roxor. If it works out like I hope, I will be selling the Chip Express Tuner for those who never plan on putting on the road, but would like the improved performance, for a good deal and 4 years of remaining free replacement warranty.