ooooooooooo

SUPPORT THESE GUY'S BECAUSE THE ROXOR IS IN SAME BOAT!

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
From save the Texas dune buggy Facebook page.

First and foremost, we would like to Thank each and every one of you who took the time to attend the House Transportation Committee Hearing Wednesday, March 20th, 2019. We also need to Thank those of you who stood up and gave your testimony, as each was a valuable tool in moving forward.
Overall today was a GREAT step forward in the process of getting our vehicles back on Texas roads LEGALLY, as well as setting an example to other states who are looking to make the same mistake Texas has in "outlawing" Assembled Vehicles.
There really is no need in going into great detail as to what was seen in the hearing today. Bottom line, the Transportation Committee made the decision to send HB-1755 to the next step in the process. Next Wednesday, March 27, 2019, the House Transportation Committee will vote for or against HB-1755 being sent to the House Floor for the House to vote on.
Once the House has voted in favor of HB-1755, we will start the whole process over with the Senate. Once the Senate has voted in favor of the bill, the DMV will work with us in order to come up with a way for the new Law to be a process towards Assembled Vehicles enjoying their vehicles the way the owner intended.
To put it mildly, there are still more than a few steps left in this process. So we continue to fight for our right to enjoy the very vehicle we are so passionate about. Yesterday was another mark in the win column in this very long process.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
UPDATE 4/12/19:

Well the best I can tell, the Texas House passed HB 1755 with a vote of 100% YEA, ZERO NA! Woooooo Hooooooo. Now we can cross our fingers and see how we can apply this down the road.

It still has to pass the Senate but with this kind of support from the house from both parties, I think it will also pass there.

When it does, the changes take effect Sept. 1 2019. Then we can SLOWLY start to see if we can squeak in. There is still a nagging line in there referring to non eligible as being designed for off highway use. We have to modify these to become street. We will see.

If you did support these guys efforts, thank you. It shows just how with enough effort, support and common sense effort, almost anything is possible. It took these guy's 3 plus years. It may take a large group of us to go the same route if we can't slip through the cracks with the new regs. Fingers crossed.

BDRAG

Buzz09

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Do Roxor's not sort of automatically qualify as an "assembled" vehicle since they are "hand built"? I would think the "designed for off highway use" would plague the dune buggies as well? Sorry if those are stupid questions...I'm a blind squirrel trying to find a nut in this road legal mess in Texas. I want so bad to pull the trigger on a Roxor, but just can't if its sketchy street "legalish".

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Do Roxor's not sort of automatically qualify as an "assembled" vehicle since they are "hand built"? I would think the "designed for off highway use" would plague the dune buggies as well? Sorry if those are stupid questions...I'm a blind squirrel trying to find a nut in this road legal mess in Texas. I want so bad to pull the trigger on a Roxor, but just can't if its sketchy street "legalish".

Buzz09, This comment was made in more than one thread here on this forum. "If you want a street legal jeep, go buy a jeep." That being said, Not all of us bought or will buy for a street vehicle. I did not buy for the street but would like to be able to drive on the street when needed or desired. In my research before I acquired mine, I was led to believe from reading on the state web sites that getting the Roxor registered as a replica would be a straight forward process. Add the missing safety items and get the state recognized ASE mechanic to sign off on it and badabing. NOT SO!

The main issue here in Texas and I am sure in other states is the fact that Mahindra markets these as UTV's. They are playing a big, BIG game with the legal issues the big 3 auto makers have against any company trying to weasel in on their territory. Mahindra chose to try and get a foot in the door and get their products out to us, the public, in a cut throat world of big industry. Mahindra can only offer us the Roxor in the OFF ROAD ONLY form because of all the NATSA or whatever the federal agencies are that govern all the BS and regulations all new cars and trucks must meet to get certified road worthy. Crash tests, Air bags, Back up cameras, Seat belts, Turn signals, Mirrors and so on and so on.

If Mahindra would have introduced the Roxor as a new and competitive vehicle for the road and off road to compete DIRECTLY with the REAL JEEP, Mahindra would have had to spend countless more dollars and testing to meet all the BS everyone else has to meet. The price of the Roxor would have been at least double what its cost is now. Would you be willing to pay double what the cost is now? Some would, some would not.

That being said, the Roxor is a vehicle with many attributes attributed to the original version's of the early jeeps. Those jeeps can still be found driving, registered as on road vehicles even though they do not meet current new production standards as previously mentioned. Myself as well as the ASE mechanic that certified my modified Roxor road worthy and safe for on road use per the state of Texas rules for every other classic, hot rod or replica vehicle can under stand why a vehicle that is built to the same standards as the original are having these issues.

In Texas it all comes down to that dam section of the title that states For Off-HIGHWAY USE ONLY. Hidden deep down in the Texas DMV rules in a single line that states: NO OFF HIGHWAY VEHICLE MAY BE REGISTERED FOR STEET USE REGARDLESS OF MODIFICATIONS. This little generic line was intended to keep 4 wheelers, quads, side by sides, razors and all the other recreational vehicles like those off the road. I get that! I don't want some 16 year old kid passing me on a bad ass toy on the highway at 60 mph. I get that! But the Roxor is NOT the same type vehicle as those and should NOT be categorized as those types of OFF ROAD vehicles. Its a REPLICA at the least!

Some or most of the definitions in HB 1755 classify someone like ourselves as HOBBYISTS. The bill centers most of its applications around a vehicle assembled by a HOBBYIST. The Roxor is not built by a HOBBYIST in its original store bought form but it can be and in my case WAS MODIFIED BY A HOBBYIST! I see it as modified to meet state standards by me, a hobbyist. My state reps office agrees.

So with all that said, I will continue to follow these Assembled vehicle guys path through the states legal system. I will continue to work with my state reps office in my journey to get my Roxor on the road. I will keep everyone abreast as things progress. It is a sloooooooow road for sure.

BDRAG

Last edited:

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Just a personal take on HB1755.

I read into this bill that the state of Texas is still very adamant about controlling these type vehicles. I also read into this bill that a HOBBYIST is being held to fabricating an assembled vehicle for personal use and not for resale. This will keep dealers and independent car sellers from making any attempt at fabricating for profit. I am fine with that.

THIS WILL ALSO KEEP THE ROXOR DEALERS FROM MODIFYING THE ROXOR IN HOUSE FOR STREET USE WHICH MAINTAINES THEIR AGREEMENT WITH MAHINDRA TO SELL FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY,

All the people that I met in Austin at the rally I attended last fall were building, doing this for PERSONAL USE. There were a few kit car reps there which sell the components for us to use to build OUR OWN vehicles. They do not build it for you. Those parts fabricators will benefit from this bill as they should.

I view the Roxor in the same boat as a kit car supplied for a hobbyist to assemble and complete. I hope the state will as well.

BDRAG

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The key here, I bet, is that the vehicle must be 'assembled' to be usable on highway. It is a kit. It is NOT a finished product.

GL

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
YEEEE HAWWWWWW! The senate transportation committee recommended the senate bill to go to floor for a vote. One last step for the assembled vehicle guys and maybe, just maybe us roxor folk.

BDRAG

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
GL down there. Keep fighting the good fight.

Satex

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Thanks for the update! I have converted dirt bikes to street legal several times, and was disappointed (on many levels) to see Texas take this position. I will get a Roxor, but only if I can modify it for unrestricted street legal use.

I do have access to an old Willys jeep that might allow me to "merge" with a Roxor and then register it as a jeep, but I really don't like that route.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
UPDATE 5/24/19. First off, Sorry I dropped the ball, had thumb joint replacement yesterday morn and didn't do much.

At 11:57 pm 5/22/19 in a furious and fastest 30 minutes in the senate I have ever witnessed, the Assembled Vehicle Bill was read for third and final time along with about 75 other bills that were uncontested. So with a vote of 31 for-zero against the bill passed the senate and now goes to govenor Abbott for his approval. If he signs it, the bill takes effect 9/1/19.

So hold on. Not so fast to try our hands yet. The DMV and the assembled vehicle group have several meetings planed to discuss the implimintation process and are to formulate the best ways for THOSE GUYS to proceed. So please let's remember this may or may not help the Roxor just yet. I will follow along with them and I have contact info for the guys running this. They know I have been following and made a donation to the cause as well having been at their capital rally. We have talked about the fact the roxor is not in the exact same boat.

There were some amendments made to the original bill which will effect us negatively but they also created a few more possible avenues. So please don't rush out September 1st to the DMV. Lol. The current title that your dealer gave you still has the death words on it " FOR OFF-HIGHWAY USE ONLY" That will still not fly.

I think we will have to follow suite with the assemble vehicle angle. Apply for state issued VIN NUMBER as an assembled vehicle and this would also provide a new title once registered using the roxor as the donor car so to speak. There are also a few replica vehicle routes that may work.

So again, lets approach this with caution and not make a mad rush and raise a red flag for the DMV and everyone else against us.

BDRAG

Last edited:

lawtac

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Would it be possible to “disassemble” the roxor at home. Then using a combination of roxor and cj parts like many of us already use, including all the street legal parts, built a “new” hobbyist built replica vehicle. The new hobbyist vehicle would not have a title yet, and as such not have the “off road use only” tag on it preventing the registration. You would still need the inspection, but as you have previously passed it I don’t see any problem, except whatever the process to title a new hobbyist/replica vehicle would be and will the new bill should go smoothly, correct?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
The basic case is the roxor does not meet basic requirments for any car on the road. So as a hobbyist we add the parts to meet the basics. We have created an assemble vehicle. It takes money, parts, and personal hours to build. The fact the roxor has a title listing it as for off-highway use only made it blind to the state because you need a title to register. So if, IF one can acquire a state issued vin number, one can then apply for a title. Just figuring out the right mods, forms and vehicle to call it, inspection and some non buracratic people in the DMV on our side, we may have a chance.

Like I said earlier, we ALL just need to wait, lets see where the real forms go and what is required. I, we can figure this out. Let the buggy guys do our ground work. If a chopped up 65 bug with a kit on it is any safer than a new roxor, where is the brain in the DMV? I think regardless of the new rules, the roxor will still be singled out due to the big auto makers insane influance on all our states dmv's. As I mentioned before, there may be several paths to registering with the new bill. Let's just be patient .

BDRAG

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Clarification: They do NOT have a title.

Maybe for your state but Texas now issues titlescfor atvs and utv’s. The roxor will have one and it will say off-road use only on it. It’s essentially only used to transfer ownership and prove ownership.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Maybe for your state but Texas now issues titlescfor atvs and utv’s. The roxor will have one and it will say off-road use only on it. It’s essentially only used to transfer ownership and prove ownership.

When you buy an aftermarket frame or Jeep body, does it come with a title in TX?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
They do if you register

This is the key here. When you 'register' it, you trade your MSO for a state issued title. You are not forced to register it with the local/state governing body. This is actually the same for any vehicle/implement (though most buy through a dealership where it may have already been registered/titled).

Now.. most states require you to have a title and proper plating, etc etc, to drive on public roads. The legal wrinkle I'm referring to is not exactly relevant to this fact, though.