ooooooooooo

OTR grill and mesh

General

Founding Member
Team Roxor, isn't she beautiful?

Grill: Here's a photo of the On The Rox aluminum 6-slot grill. I knew I wanted to paint it, so I saved money and got it unfinished. It required a small amount of metal cleanup to get the lines smooth, edges consistent, and holes straight and round. Also, I increased the mounting holes to 1/4" to match the Roxor's slot holes and to provide a more secure mount. While you're holding the OTR grill up to your Roxor's black support panel, make sure your 5 holes line up, and get a sharpie to mark where you'll drill holes for the turn signals they give you. I prefer these classic incandescent bulbs over the smaller LEDs that XTC sends with their turn signal kits. I had to use an end mill to remove metal at the 3-o'clock and 9-o'clock positions in the grill headlight holes for the rubber pegs on Roxor's stock headlights. This step is probably not necessary if you're using aftermarket 7" headlights.

Paint: The local Maaco franchise got $160 to paint it, digital color match, looks good to me. A custom pain shop wanted triple that price, but the tiny imperfections in the budget job are ok with me. I'm pretty good with a rattle can, but their color matching, surface prep, and paint booth are much better than any spray paint I could do. Mahindra says their paint is a single-stage urethane, so I picked that for the grill, too (instead of enamel or adding a clear coat, etc.).

Mesh: After careful consideration of all the different radiator/grill meshes out there, I chose to use a 0.06" stainless sheet perforated with 1/4" holes, spaced 5/16" apart. I purchased mine here for $110 https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=13514&step=4&id=1643&top_cat=1. You'll need about 18x21 inches, but get 24x24 and cut it down to be safe. I used a Dremel, wire brush, spray paint primer, and black spray paint. Make sure that your mesh holes line up with your grill holes AND your Roxor holes. If you cut it barely large enough (see the photo), you can slip it diagonally through the front of the radiator shroud without bending it or scratching anything.

Access hole: The 2x5 inch cut out on the top of the radiator shroud isn't large enough to reach your arm in there and fasten the nuts onto the grill's mounting screws. We tried a dozen techniques and scraped my lovely wife's tiny arms, but we still weren't close. Trust me, you'll want to enlarge that rectangular hole to about twice as tall as it comes. This will make installation much easier, and it's pretty impossible without doing this step. Note: if you're not installing a mesh behind the grill, then installing OTR's grill is no problem at all, just reach through one of the 6 slots.

Also, I used strips of adhesive neoprene between the panels to reduce scratching and vibration noise:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G382DX4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed the mesh behind the Roxor's slot holes, so the order goes like this (stainless hardware):
1/4" bolt head --> washer --> grill --> neoprene --> Roxor slot holes --> neoprene --> mesh --> wide fender washer --> regular washer --> Loc-tite --> lock nut.

Bring on the questions and recommendations! This community has helped me so much, and I hope my posts help others, too.

20181219_123842.jpg 20181122_123729.jpg 20181212_184609.jpg

General

Founding Member
Unfortunately no. There are several brands of devices which measure the color spectrum, and from what I've heard they're not cross-compatible. It's pretty easy though to drive up and ask the to scan your paint, then take a photo of their screen. I'm not sure how this would translate into selecting paint yourself though, assuming you had a paint gun/booth setup already.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It's gotta be common. My buddy took one look at the black plastic grill overlay and matched it perfect without even having it around or taking a scan/picture. Dude is rather good (you should see his Chevelle), though, so YMMV.

B

Bister

FYI: This was posted in another thread here and on Facebook. Some good info. Get a hold of your dealer for your paint code if it's not black or white. The blue and red have variants in the paint and it's tied to your PIN number. These numbers are associated with PPG and that is the paint that is used at the plant.

White = RAL 9010
Black = RAL 9005
Blue and red has several variants and yes the dealer will be able to assist with this per your pin #. Please contact your dealer for more information

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Team Roxor, isn't she beautiful?

Grill: Here's a photo of the On The Rox aluminum 6-slot grill. I knew I wanted to paint it, so I saved money and got it unfinished. It required a small amount of metal cleanup to get the lines smooth, edges consistent, and holes straight and round. Also, I increased the mounting holes to 1/4" to match the Roxor's slot holes and to provide a more secure mount. While you're holding the OTR grill up to your Roxor's black support panel, make sure your 5 holes line up, and get a sharpie to mark where you'll drill holes for the turn signals they give you. I prefer these classic incandescent bulbs over the smaller LEDs that XTC sends with their turn signal kits. I had to use an end mill to remove metal at the 3-o'clock and 9-o'clock positions in the grill headlight holes for the rubber pegs on Roxor's stock headlights. This step is probably not necessary if you're using aftermarket 7" headlights.

Paint: The local Maaco franchise got $160 to paint it, digital color match, looks good to me. A custom pain shop wanted triple that price, but the tiny imperfections in the budget job are ok with me. I'm pretty good with a rattle can, but their color matching, surface prep, and paint booth are much better than any spray paint I could do. Mahindra says their paint is a single-stage urethane, so I picked that for the grill, too (instead of enamel or adding a clear coat, etc.).

Mesh: After careful consideration of all the different radiator/grill meshes out there, I chose to use a 0.06" stainless sheet perforated with 1/4" holes, spaced 5/16" apart. I purchased mine here for $110 Buy Stainless-Perforated Sheet-304 Online. You'll need about 18x21 inches, but get 24x24 and cut it down to be safe. I used a Dremel, wire brush, spray paint primer, and black spray paint. Make sure that your mesh holes line up with your grill holes AND your Roxor holes. If you cut it barely large enough (see the photo), you can slip it diagonally through the front of the radiator shroud without bending it or scratching anything.

Access hole: The 2x5 inch cut out on the top of the radiator shroud isn't large enough to reach your arm in there and fasten the nuts onto the grill's mounting screws. We tried a dozen techniques and scraped my lovely wife's tiny arms, but we still weren't close. Trust me, you'll want to enlarge that rectangular hole to about twice as tall as it comes. This will make installation much easier, and it's pretty impossible without doing this step. Note: if you're not installing a mesh behind the grill, then installing OTR's grill is no problem at all, just reach through one of the 6 slots.

Also, I used strips of adhesive neoprene between the panels to reduce scratching and vibration noise:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G382DX4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed the mesh behind the Roxor's slot holes, so the order goes like this (stainless hardware):
1/4" bolt head --> washer --> grill --> neoprene --> Roxor slot holes --> neoprene --> mesh --> wide fender washer --> regular washer --> Loc-tite --> lock nut.

Bring on the questions and recommendations! This community has helped me so much, and I hope my posts help others, too.

View attachment 2242 View attachment 2243 View attachment 2244

Thanks for ur advice here
I used ur mesh option. Mounting the mesh to the roxor vs the grille was my only difference now off to powder coat

A7B43BFF-01E3-4CBE-A3BC-EA6A8E9BE408.jpeg

General

Founding Member
@Andydaniel1371 your technique looks better than mine. Mine is starting to flex at the bottom, because my mesh doesn't go down far enough to be supported by the lower border of the radiator cowl. Remember to use neoprene tape between the steel mesh and the other two panels (cowl and grill), because otherwise it will eventually rub and scratch through.

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Andydaniel1371 your technique looks better than mine. Mine is starting to flex at the bottom, because my mesh doesn't go down far enough to be supported by the lower border of the radiator cowl. Remember to use neoprene tape between the steel mesh and the other two panels (cowl and grill), because otherwise it will eventually rub and scratch through.
Thanks again.
Plan to evenly screw that $120 mesh evenly for durability then use neoprene like u advised. Powder coated the light rings white will make ur mesh idea stand out

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Found marine rubber at Home Depot for in between as u mentioned
Here’s how she looks. The grill doesn’t line up exactly as u mentioned... your post helped me
Thanks General

637121CD-35BC-4C04-ABF8-8F41B68738F9.jpeg 24FA8AA5-EBC4-4752-AF8F-82925D45B081.jpeg A28B5AE5-024E-4CDD-BF84-08CC69FE1A5B.jpeg

Vinny

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just finished installing a 7 slot grill. Purchased from luckylonestarauto on eBay. $250 including shipping. Used truck bed coating spray paint from Home Depot, marine rubber between grill and vehicle, and waiting on aluminum mesh to arrive, also from Home Depot. $49 for a 24" x24" sheet. Much thanks to General and Andydaniel1371. Sure shortened the learning curve!??

20190629_095142.jpg 20190629_095218.jpg 20190629_095238.jpg

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Lookin good Dar!