ooooooooooo

Not what I expected.

EVOLTweetyBird

Decided I wanted a Roxor, or possibly two. Okay, use the Dealer locator, and find one that has multiple locations, nearest one shows multiple units on its web site, all at that location. Drive an hour to get there, beautiful place, bikes/quads/side by sides/wave runners/ etc. everywhere. Odd don't see a single Roxor, would have thought they would have one outside on display.

Walk into the dealership and am greeted by a young lady, I tell her I would like to speak to someone about buying one or two Roxors. By the deer in the headlamps look I get it's like I'm speaking Chinese. She asks what is a Roxor? I tell her It's a Mahindra Roxor, looks like a Jeep Wrangler. It's obvious she's clueless.
Gentleman sitting at a desk nearby asks if he can help. I tell him what I'm looking for and that I'm interested in buying one or two of them.

I've been in the auto business for a long long time, and most sales people are like starving dogs when they get a solid buying customer. Not this one, he asks me if I don't have a dealer in Pennsylvania? (I had told him I have a place up there for the second one) He then tells me "Oh I think we have one of those out back, let me go check." What? you have multiple ones showing on your site to be here, yet you don't even know if you have one? This isn't going good. And so I wait, and wait, and wait. Couple other employees walk past ask if I need help but don't even slow down as they walk by. 15 minutes later, as I'm ready to walk out, one of the parts dept guys walks over and asks if someone has helped me or do I need assistance. I go through what has happened so far, and he tells me he saw the salesperson out back and he should be back in a minute.

I see a white Roxor pull up in the far parking lot. Why would he park all the way over there and not out by the front of the dealership where his customer is? Like he doesn't want other folks to see? I walk over to where the Roxor is parked and he tells me this is the LE version. The only one they have. When I ask about the others he tells me they may be at their other places, this is all they have. To reiterate to him, I tell him I'm wanting to buy, and will want a bunch of options for both. I ask about order time and do they have someone qualified to do lockers on these. He doesn't know but will go ask.

He leaves me to find out and I look over the Roxor. Poor thing is filthy like it's been sitting outside a long time. Guess they don't have any lot folks to wash it.
I notice oddly there is no speedometer in it, just a big hole where it should be. And he's taken the keys.
Alright guess he didn't want me to steal it. LOL! Lift the hood and just like what I've read, low coolant level, and it's obvious he had to jump start it to get it down here. Time to get dirty, crawl under and first thing I see is the front diff drain plug is stripped where the Allen wrench would go. Not good, factory or dealer tech screwed up. Rear diff looks the same, and both driveshafts have spun what looks like a half pound of grease on the underside of the Roxor. Little things, but to a car guy this is signs of folks who don't care.

I've seen enough, not this one. Meanwhile sales guy comes back and tells me they have no idea how long to order them. Does this guy not want to sell or what the heck? We walk back into the dealership and he introduces me to floor manager, he and the sales guy tell me to use the build section on Roxor's site and give them the code for the builds and what ever else I want and they'll see about getting them. I ask again about time frame and am told they have no idea. I thank them both and leave, never to return.

I've never had a place so not want to sell one or two of their vehicles, business must be great if they don't need sales. :unsure:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I got similar story when I bought mine though I bought it shortly after it came out, so gave the general oddness of the process a pass. Like you, I understand the sales cycle. You have a overly anxious buyer, with 100% cash ready, waiting to buy this thing. In the normal sales process, you won't get out of your car before being leg-humped by some hair gelled flapping head.

I think what you are battling is not so much people not caring about the sale, but flat out not wanting to sell it to you. Were I not so bullheaded, I don't think I woulda got mine. I bet that guy pulled the speedo to scare you off. Someone working there has ear-marked it as 'theirs', and the shop thinks it's gonna be a long time before they get another one, so they don't want to part with that one cuz it's already 'sold' internally.

I think everyone involved in this process understands just how special this vehicle is, just how unique it is, and just how impact-full it is. Ask a junkyard about how long they keep Jeep Wranglers around. Hint: they don't. The employees get em before they even get sorted, and that's assuming insurance/picker guys don't have a 'guy' that pays em cash before they hit the salvage. Same deal here.

This is like that VW commercial where the customer runs out and licks the door handle. MINE

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Well I would have just stated my concerns and offers 12k to cover the problems you identified. Maybe they are eager to get rid of it and you could play that to your advantage

EVOLTweetyBird

I guess it could be. This sales person did all he could to not sell me. I know these are like hot cakes now, just never ran into a salesman/dealer who didn't want my money.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's a pretty dismal encounter. Total opposite of what I've experienced in North Carolina. Dealership here couldn't have been more professional or accommodating, and continues to be well after the sale. A couple of weeks ago when I was by there, they'd taken deliver of ten new Roxors, including a green camo which I hadn't seen before in person. Be glad to put you in touch.

EVOLTweetyBird

Dang it! I just thought of something. I think I was profiled. o_O
When I stopped at the dealer I had planned on crawling under vehicles so I had on jeans and tee shirt. I wonder if this sales person saw me as just some tire kicker and didn't want to waste his time with me.
Too bad he missed what I rolled into the dealership with.

Anywho, appreciate the offer in NC, I already checked with a dealer in Georgia who has plenty of stock and will be happy to work with me and take my money.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
When I stopped at the dealer I had planned on crawling under vehicles so I had on jeans and tee shirt. I wonder if this sales person saw me as just some tire kicker and didn't want to waste his time with me.

Anywho, appreciate the offer in NC, I already checked with a dealer in Georgia who has plenty of stock and will be happy to work with me and take my money.

Funny thing about this, that my GF heard in LA at some clothing store (that people prolly know the name of anywhere). Wealthy people dress normal. Broke AF people wear fancy clothes to make people think they got something they don't.

The top three vehicles of rich people - F150, Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee - yes, seriously. The city people with the fancy cars are broke AF debt slaves. Little hamsters on the wheel failing at basic math.

SouthGaRoxor

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

I have bought 2 Roxor’s so far, one from Jesup, GA and one from Statesboro, GA. Two different dealers and both experiences were very good. Give them a try.

Compshooter

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I had a weird experience too. I used a web contact form to ask for a price from our local dealer. A day or two goes by and nothing, no response.

Ok, so I went to visit them in person. They were helpful except when it came to the price. The sales guy had to get another guy to work up the price which is quite normal in the vehicle buying world. The other guy was even with us on the lot talking to us. Well the weird part is I told the sales guy give me a price of the vehicle and the OTD price for just a plain Jane Classic version, not the LE (which is all they had on the lot). The sales guy said no problem, "we can just take off whatever" I didn't want.

Well, he gave me the prices which ironically came to $18,900 OTD (the same MSRP of the LE version). After which he told us we can get 10% military discount. Ok, great but he didn't re-calculate and give me a final price. And not that I can't do math or anything, but I've learned years ago don't assume prices when it comes to buying vehicles, have them tell you the price so everyone's on the same page.

Well, we leave and the next day I get a call back from the same dealer in response to the web form request. He gives me a different (cheaper) price. He doesn't clarify if it's for a Classic (which they don't have on lot) or the LE. Then the sales guy calls me. I tell him I'm confused. Is his price for the Classic or the LE? He just tells me Mahindra really doesn't build the Classics. Ok, but that didn't answer my question. Is his price for the LE or is he going to remove all the LE stuff off of it?

He never did clarify. So two days later we drove an hour away to a NJ dealer who gave us the OTD price via email for an LE he had in stock and discounted $2,900. Super simple. Done.

Anyway whenever we go to buy a vehicle we always have our financing straight and all we need to know is how much to write the check out for. It's amazing how many sales people lose our sale and we just have to go somewhere else where they will listen to my questions and answer them.

Johnny

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I tried to buy one too. Got so frustrated trying to spend my money I gave up. Long story. But I’m so disappointed in either Mahindra or the dealer that put such a bad taste in my mouth I’ll not get one.

EVOLTweetyBird

Yeah could be I just walked into the wrong dealer. It was like the Roxor was the red headed stepchild of the place.
Could be too that some "dealers" don't have an idea of how to sell these, with so many other types of quads/side by sides/etc. on their lot, the Roxor is getting lost in the shuffle. At least at this place not one outside in the display area, and not a one inside either. No, out back behind the place hidden away. Maybe Mahindra should look to have these also at the Ag dealers, being they are advertised for off road, and ranch/farm use too, rather than out on some "toy" dealer lot where they have to compete against a stacked deck of high performance type beasts.

I would think most folks going into a power sports dealership are looking for the biggest baddest 4 wheeler out there, and not some ancient looking Jeep thing. The average Joe would walk right past them thinking someone must sell Jeeps too or took one in on trade in.

Mahindra needs to look at their dealers, and see why some are selling them like hot cakes and others aren't selling. Weed out the ones who are hurting sales and reward those that know what they are doing. Instead of hiding them out back, they should have their own spot, on display and with accessories that are available there too.

whiteroxorssr

I had a similar experience when I was researching the Roxor. I went to a dealer in PA to look at the Roxor at a large multi-line off-road dealer. They had little info or knowledge of it. I asked for a brochure and they told me that Mahindra did not provide them. I went home and found a dealer in NY and they were very helpful. It pays to look around.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yeah could be I just walked into the wrong dealer. It was like the Roxor was the red headed stepchild of the place.
Could be too that some "dealers" don't have an idea of how to sell these, with so many other types of quads/side by sides/etc. on their lot, the Roxor is getting lost in the shuffle. At least at this place not one outside in the display area, and not a one inside either. No, out back behind the place hidden away. Maybe Mahindra should look to have these also at the Ag dealers, being they are advertised for off road, and ranch/farm use too, rather than out on some "toy" dealer lot where they have to compete against a stacked deck of high performance type beasts.

I would think most folks going into a power sports dealership are looking for the biggest baddest 4 wheeler out there, and not some ancient looking Jeep thing. The average Joe would walk right past them thinking someone must sell Jeeps too or took one in on trade in.

Mahindra needs to look at their dealers, and see why some are selling them like hot cakes and others aren't selling. Weed out the ones who are hurting sales and reward those that know what they are doing. Instead of hiding them out back, they should have their own spot, on display and with accessories that are available there too.

Exactly. Confining sales of a throw-back to a WWII era Willys utility vehicle to places featuring modern, 4-wheeler, sci-fi designs with primary appeal to those born recently may have initially made sense among the Michigan marketing gurus, but that increasingly seems a curious approach to some of us early adapters. In Roxor's rapid introductory expansion to 300ish power sports dealers (carrying lots of other competing inventory), the above cited negative experiences should not come as total surprise. Agree, Mahindra is missing a significant Roxor market segment and needs to do due diligence in understanding how their product is currently being represented and reconsider showcasing this product at Ag dealers, as well -- sooner, the better, imo.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Exactly. Confining sales of a throw-back to a WWII era Willys utility vehicle to places featuring modern, 4-wheeler, sci-fi designs with primary appeal to those born recently may have initially made sense among the Michigan marketing gurus, but that increasingly seems a curious approach to some of us early adapters. In Roxor's rapid introductory expansion to 300ish power sports dealers (carrying lots of other competing inventory), the above cited negative experiences should not come as total surprise. Agree, Mahindra is missing a significant Roxor market segment and needs to do due diligence in understanding how their product is currently being represented and reconsider showcasing this product at Ag dealers, as well -- sooner, the better, imo.

Well now that's a great idea. They should be offering their rigs at farm tractor suppliers.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That is a great idea.

EVOLTweetyBird

Yeah I mean Mahindra has something like 20+ other 4 wheelers they build, side by sides, work/utility, and 4 seat versions.
They sell those at the farm places, so why not add the Roxor too. Heck maybe they should look at stand alone dealers, selling nothing but Mahindra 4 wheelers. Instead of having to fit them in with all the others out there. Could work out both ways for them, someone may look at a Roxor and decide they would rather have one of their other utility vehicles, or they come to look at one of the utilities and see the Roxor and fall in love with it.

Actually I already sent an email to Mahindra, part one about my experience at the dealer and secondly about just this above.
My family has been in the auto and motorcycle business for decades, new/used sales and service. I have 38 years with GM. And at least from what I experienced, Mahindra could really use someone to set these places up for success. At least at the place I visited they have no clue, or even though they have the franchise don't want it competing against their other brands.

mike_d

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’ve noticed the same. Very superficial knowledge at a couple dealers I stopped at. It would be very nice to have the product at least supported as far as parts thru the Mahindra tractor dealer network.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
We all have different experiences buying the Roxor, there is a reason.....it’s profit ,get the most from the sale before and after by adding assessories,factory and after market. There is a hint as to how It works in Roxor ads. Many Power Sports dealers are not equipped or tuned into the type of person who buys one of these, it’s yet to be determined. I think the tractor dealers are better suited to give the customer what he wants and needs. The problem is so far there is a lacking in equipment for the customer that is offered. I have seen this before, long ago , with the Unamog painted up with Case labels.

Bill Patridge

Founding Member
I’ve noticed the same. Very superficial knowledge at a couple dealers I stopped at. It would be very nice to have the product at least supported as far as parts thru the Mahindra tractor dealer network.
I believe, in some areas, some of the larger dealerships, grab the ROXOR dealership , to keep another dealer, just down the road, from getting the deal....