ooooooooooo

Is Mahindra in trouble?

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That sounds good , I hope it all works out for you. They do work hard to make it all come together for the customer. They have done quite a bit for me too , we are all family around here in the northwoods , near the end of the World.....!
It has so far. The Roxor passed the inspection just waiting for them to come back with the new title and the vin. They do makes me want to buy from them again in the future. We definitely are.

muru_cm62

Hello All, Its my first post here. Been a reader for an year or so. Not a Roxor owner, there is no need for an off-roader for me now. May be in future.

Found these links about Mahindra's (MANA's) new plant

Michigan, North Carolina on Short List to Land Mahindra Automotive Assembly Plant, 2,000 Jobs | 2019-08-13 | ASSEMBLY
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2019/08/12/mahindra-automotiveconsidering-north-caroline.html

Mahindra is here to stay regardless of whether they get USPS contract or not. I am not an insider but an optimist and admirer of Mahindra.

sandyx

Founding Member
This news and all the cited sources are NOT relevant to US market. This is an Indian market problem. Wonder how it got linked to MANA. If there's any auto parts supplier happy enough in India right now, that would be Mahindra's since they get to keep selling all those Thar assemblies abroad. India is edging into recession and has just lost around 500k auto jobs. As long as there is demand in US market, the Indian supplier will keep sending Roxor kits to MANA. Still, keep looking out for compatible parts locally in case of any delays.

MaineRox

This news and all the cited sources are NOT relevant to US market. This is an Indian market problem. Wonder how it got linked to MANA. If there's any auto parts supplier happy enough in India right now, that would be Mahindra's since they get to keep selling all those Thar assemblies abroad. India is edging into recession and has just lost around 500k auto jobs. As long as there is demand in US market, the Indian supplier will keep sending Roxor kits to MANA. Still, keep looking out for compatible parts locally in case of any delays.
Is relevant. It’s all one company isn’t it? In times of trouble Roxor could go first.
Can you link to Roxor sales numbers? From 2018 on would be most helpful, since I can’t seem to find them.

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
How many on the forum think it likely that in the current political environment we would see the US mail truck contract awarded to a foreign company like Mahindra when there are domestic companies in the running?

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
How many on the forum think it likely that in the current political environment we would see the US mail truck contract awarded to a foreign company like Mahindra when there are domestic companies in the running?

The USPS mail truck will be built in the United States , in Michigan, most likely the Detroit area.

rseth020

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
From india,
Indian auto market is going through a time of confusion
1) In 2014 govt of india made clear that by 2021 electric cars should be on road,by 2018 govt also cleared the plan to subsidize the components & taxes for making electric cars affordable.So general consumer in india is waiting for electric
2) in 2019 ,diesel passenger cars have been banned,production was stopped completely,this also ended mahindra thar
3) In 2019 govt presented the budget in april,but they didnt make it clear what taxes would be applicable if a petrol vehicle is bought,this is forcing people to not buy any vehicle as no one knows what kind of taxes one would be paying in future

The need for car is eveporating:
Govt has put huge money in making metro trains ,once your city get metro system ,people stop using their vehicles for day to day work.Traffic,fuel & Parking is getting expensive,people these days prefer to use ola or uber & most part of journey is made on metro trains.So the need of buying car is also diminishing

Thar

From india,
Indian auto market is going through a time of confusion
1) In 2014 govt of india made clear that by 2021 electric cars should be on road,by 2018 govt also cleared the plan to subsidize the components & taxes for making electric cars affordable.So general consumer in india is waiting for electric
2) in 2019 ,diesel passenger cars have been banned,production was stopped completely,this also ended mahindra thar
3) In 2019 govt presented the budget in april,but they didnt make it clear what taxes would be applicable if a petrol vehicle is bought,this is forcing people to not buy any vehicle as no one knows what kind of taxes one would be paying in future

The need for car is eveporating:
Govt has put huge money in making metro trains ,once your city get metro system ,people stop using their vehicles for day to day work.Traffic,fuel & Parking is getting expensive,people these days prefer to use ola or uber & most part of journey is made on metro trains.So the need of buying car is also diminishing
Nobody is waiting for electric cars. That'll take so long. But they're waiting for more BS6 models, yes. Even the govt is now forced to go back on the electric nonsense.

Diesel is banned only in Delhi. The 2020 Thar will be diesel first with a petrol later. Of course Delhi is a good market for Thar.

The general reason for lack of sales is simply the economic slowdown.

rseth020

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
Nobody is waiting for electric cars. That'll take so long. But they're waiting for more BS6 models, yes. Even the govt is now forced to go back on the electric nonsense.

Diesel is banned only in Delhi. The 2020 Thar will be diesel first with a petrol later. Of course Delhi is a good market for Thar.

The general reason for lack of sales is simply the economic slowdown.
the economic slowdown is due to the fact people are not buying,we have capacity & enough people to create demand but people are holding back...BTW diesel has been banned in all tier 1 & 2 cities..only rural areas & small towns have diesel vehicle...BS6 standard is certaily a majr fator..electric will take time but there is no denial mahindra eVerito & other cars are been subsidized to being them in market...Ola & uber both have agreed to use eVerito in taxi market

Mandrake

Founding Member
the economic slowdown is due to the fact people are not buying,we have capacity & enough people to create demand but people are holding back...BTW diesel has been banned in all tier 1 & 2 cities..only rural areas & small towns have diesel vehicle...BS6 standard is certaily a majr fator..electric will take time but there is no denial mahindra eVerito & other cars are been subsidized to being them in market...Ola & uber both have agreed to use eVerito in taxi market
Mahindra Diesel SUVs are selling in Mumba, as we speak.Very few buy the Petrol variant. So Diesel is on but the taxes are higher.

rseth020

Roxor Ownership
Do not own
Mahindra Diesel SUVs are selling in Mumba, as we speak.Very few buy the Petrol variant. So Diesel is on but the taxes are higher.
that is the problem taxes are high & they are going to be up in few more years...cars have become financial blackhole for buyers

mopar93

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Somebody didn't do the math. 180000 vehicles costing a total of 20 billion dollars works out to just over $111,000 each. Shoot, Mahindra should have stayed in the game!

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Could Mahindra be in trouble? Discounts on all their vehicles. Sales in quite a slump. Asking government for help. They have utilized a risky amount of credit. All of that has been in the news within the last week.

If so, would it matter to you?

It does matter to me. A product should succeed or fail on its own merits. By virtually all accounts, Roxor is a great SxS that fills a significant niche in the low-cost, off-road market, as testified by three years of positive consumer response. Roxor's current predicament is greed-driven, thanks to the FCA lawsuit, not by a shoddy offering or lack of buyer interest. Under the guise of trade dress, FCA seeks solely to crush anything remotely related to competition, never mind if it's in an arena in which FCA does not factor. Their action typifies the type of legally-driven corruption of free markets which generates lowest common denominator, idiot-proof products. On the consumer level, it's anyone's guess as to how this will all play out. MANA's keeping everyone in the dark doesn't help, but maybe there are good reasons for that. Perhaps, Roxor would be better off piggybacking on the Mahindra tractor line, being given a PTO in the new makeover and marketed as an ag vehicle. Regardless, come what may, no regrets about having mine and looking forward to the constant drama ending.

tjohn6041

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Yep. FCA is going the route of the pharmaceutical industry in the USA (i.e. if you can't handle competition, you have the government drive out the competition for you).

I think FCA is freaking out about the Bronco and trying to get any edge they can. The thing they hate about the Roxor is that for about 22k you can have an off-roader with locking differentials. FCA want's people to pay at least 50k for a vehicle with lockers, so they were worried. Now the Bronco will have lockers available across the lineup, even on the base models in the low 30s.

I personally think FCA is trying to make Jeep into premium brand, hence the insanely expensive Grand Wagoneer as well. This is on top of the fact that the a lot of people have noticed the Jeep JLU is starting to become similar to the Mercedes G-Class in styling as well.

An affordable off-roader destroys Jeep's position. By this time next year, there will not only be the Bronco that can take on Jeep across the lineup, but also the Defender will be more readily available for people looking for more expensive options, the INEOS Grenadier will be in the near future as well, as well as Toyota's follow on to the FJ Cruiser.

Basically, FCA will no longer have a monopoly on off-roaders

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I agree with most of your arguments SMF and tjohn6041. In particular, the point about the 100K Jeep Grand Wagoneer - I mean WTF! Read about that on Car and Driver. Will people really pay that for a Jeep (that isn't a Trackhawk)!

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I read the whole article. Mahindra was one of three finalists. It doesn't state why they would pull out, so I'll just have to guess. My hunch is Mahindra is pulling out of the US.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I read the whole article. Mahindra was one of three finalists. It doesn't state why they would pull out, so I'll just have to guess. My hunch is Mahindra is pulling out of the US.

Or given the recent post office news cycle about funding or the lack of perhaps Mahindra isn’t too optimistic about the potential sales/profits from a postal vehicle venture. And/or the COVID uncertainty with supply chain could also be a factor too. Will they pull out of the US altogether? I don’t know. If 2021 comes and no new Roxor I’d say we have an answer. Right now it’s pure speculation on everyone’s part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Or given the recent post office news cycle about funding or the lack of perhaps Mahindra isn’t too optimistic about the potential sales/profits from a postal vehicle venture. And/or the COVID uncertainty with supply chain could also be a factor too. Will they pull out of the US altogether? I don’t know. If 2021 comes and no new Roxor I’d say we have an answer. Right now it’s pure speculation on everyone’s part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with much of what you've said. The economy is slowing down, that's for sure. I'm a contractor and I've seen many of my suppliers run out of supplies from electrical breakers, HVAC supplies, hell even locksmiths are having a hard time finding key blanks. No doubt Mahindra is seeing simular problems and on top of the FCA lawsuit they're probably just saying the hell with it.....