ooooooooooo

How do I check transmission and transfer case fluids

TnRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just bought my 2020 Roxor with a 5 speed manual and several fluids were very low, just curious if the transfer case and transmission are low as well

BoxofRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
On both, you will see a plug on the bottom, this is the drain plug. You will also see a plug part way up the side on each unit. This is the fill/check plug. Simply remove it and see where the fluid level is, it should be level with the bottom of the hole the plug came out of. If it needs topped off, add fluid til it comes out the hole, then put the plug back in.

The factory spec for the TCase and transmission is GL-4 80w90!!! Use this type fluid only, GL-5 like you use in the differentials has additives that will corrode your brass synchros inside the transmission.

PineCreek

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
On both, you will see a plug on the bottom, this is the drain plug. You will also see a plug part way up the side on each unit. This is the fill/check plug. Simply remove it and see where the fluid level is, it should be level with the bottom of the hole the plug came out of. If it needs topped off, add fluid til it comes out the hole, then put the plug back in.

The factory spec for the TCase and transmission is GL-4 80w90!!! Use this type fluid only, GL-5 like you use in the differentials has additives that will corrode your brass synchros inside the transmission.

Is the automatic trans the same?
Don’t have a dipstick for auto trans....

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Just bought my 2020 Roxor with a 5 speed manual and several fluids were very low, just curious if the transfer case and transmission are low as well

Also, an important note on fluids. ONLY USE GL-4. DO NOT USE GL-4 / GL-5 COMPATIBLE.. Here is a link to a great article
about the GL-4 and GL-5 fluids. Jump down to page 12 for the recommended types and brands.

https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

I just bought the DRIVEN 80-90 wt which is an oil company Joe Gibbs Racing started back in 99 or 2000. It is not on the list but It meets ALL of the described criteria in this article. I can also order it through Advanced Auto Parts and used a 25% off coupon. So it was only $7.50 a qt. I bought 6. I plan on changing it out completely.

Liqui-moly was one good one I can get local as well as the Amsoil. They are $20.00 a qt.

BDRAG

PineCreek

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Also, an important note on fluids. ONLY USE GL-4. DO NOT USE GL-4 / GL-5 COMPATIBLE.. Here is a link to a great article
about the GL-4 and GL-5 fluids. Jump down to page 12 for the recommended types and brands.

https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

I just bought the DRIVEN 80-90 wt which is an oil company Joe Gibbs Racing started back in 99 or 2000. It is not on the list but It meets ALL of the described criteria in this article. I can also order it through Advanced Auto Parts and used a 25% off coupon. So it was only $7.50 a qt. I bought 6. I plan on changing it out completely.

Liqui-moly was one good one I can get local as well as the Amsoil. They are $20.00 a qt.

BDRAG

Thank you! Great info. GL4 in tase and trans,
Do you know where the level check is on the suit trans!?

BoxofRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thank you! Great info. GL4 in tase and trans,
Do you know where the level check is on the suit trans!?

I don't know, because I don't have one, but I'm going to go ahead and say that for the auto trans Roxor you'll want ATF for the transmission. GL4 80w90 will most likely mess it up big time. As for the dipstick, I've read they have one but I don't know where, check really good back around the firewall area, most usually that's where they are.