ooooooooooo

Hello from the home of Mahindra

manasm

Hi,

I live in Bangalore, India and own a Thar (CRDE) which I believe is where the Roxor is derived from. I was reading about the Roxor and came across this forum. Thanks for having me on board.

I have had the Thar for 6 years now and love it. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. I have attached a few pictures of my Thar.

FYI - the Thars here come with 105 bhp and 247 Nm torque. We have tuning companies here that flash the ECU upto 170 bhp and 400 Nm.

If the engine is the same 2.5L diesel, that is something that you guys could look at. Some companies that do that in India are Pete's Automotive, RedBandRacing, DieselTronic, Code6, T8 Performance...

You should also try and check out videos from Rain Forest Challenge (RFC) India that happens in July/Aug here in India. There are some really tough modded Thars in the events here, and we just had Iron Scorpion ship one of their vehicles from Arizona to India to participate in the event.

I look forward to reading about the Roxor and would love to visit some of you on my next trip to the US.

Cheers,
Manas

11009147_10153130463358360_6928164239319437910_n.jpg 13920458_1663799287273307_2411855206387517710_o.jpg 15219482_10153967451891034_3854911821309329620_n.jpg 18403048_10154414651641034_4034651366463268559_n.jpg

toolsinaction

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Cool ride! Welcome to the Forum. It will be interesting to see what That parts we can get here.

sandyx

Founding Member
I live in Bangalore, India and own a Thar (CRDE) which I believe is where the Roxor is derived from.

Nope. Roxor comes from Thar M2dicr. Not crde.

FYI - the Thars here come with 105 bhp and 247 Nm torque. We have tuning companies here that flash the ECU upto 170 bhp and 400 Nm.

Thar in India comes in 105/247(crde) as well as 62/194(m2dicr).

If the engine is the same 2.5L diesel, that is something that you guys could look at.

It's not. Crde is old Scorpio NEF based engine while M2dicr seems to have DI roots.

Renegade6

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Manas;

Do you have any copies of the service manuals more specifically, wiring diagrams?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hi,

I live in Bangalore, India and own a Thar (CRDE) which I believe is where the Roxor is derived from. I was reading about the Roxor and came across this forum. Thanks for having me on board.

I have had the Thar for 6 years now and love it. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. I have attached a few pictures of my Thar.

If the engine is the same 2.5L diesel, that is something that you guys could look at. Some companies that do that in India are Pete's Automotive, RedBandRacing, DieselTronic, Code6, T8 Performance...

You should also try and check out videos from Rain Forest Challenge (RFC) India that happens in July/Aug here in India. There are some really tough modded Thars in the events here, and we just had Iron Scorpion ship one of their vehicles from Arizona to India to participate in the event.

I look forward to reading about the Roxor and would love to visit some of you on my next trip to the US.

Cheers,
Manas

Awesome ride! I read about RFC, it's somewhat like our UA here. Very cool. Welcome aboard!

manasm

Nope. Roxor comes from Thar M2dicr. Not crde.

Thar in India comes in 105/247(crde) as well as 62/194(m2dicr).

It's not. Crde is old Scorpio NEF based engine while M2dicr seems to have DI roots.
Absolutely right...however all Mahindra engines (including the Scorpio) are derived from their tractor engines and tend to be more agricultural than other diesels in India.

The Roxor being derived from the DI makes it more difficult to modify for power and torque gains.

The Crde is used here as a recreational vehicle while the DI is used more for farm or estate work. Most of us city dwellers buy the Crde as it is capable of highway speeds and more (140 to 160 kph). The DI is mostly comfortable between 90 and 110 kph.

sandyx

Founding Member
Absolutely right...however all Mahindra engines (including the Scorpio) are derived from their tractor engines and tend to be more agricultural than other diesels in India.

The Roxor being derived from the DI makes it more difficult to modify for power and torque gains.

The Crde is used here as a recreational vehicle while the DI is used more for farm or estate work. Most of us city dwellers buy the Crde as it is capable of highway speeds and more (140 to 160 kph). The DI is mostly comfortable between 90 and 110 kph.

Umm nope, Scorpio's NEF engine come from an AVL design. It's the DI series that seems to have 60's IH tractor roots, that too from Mahindra B575 than directly from B275. It looks like B275(MDI2350)> B575(MDI3200)> DI> M2dicr. NEF common rail slapped onto DI block made the m2dicr is the current verdict.

Your experience driving the crde Thar with IFS will thus be different from what one could expect from a DI based leaf sprung Roxor. Rest of the vehicle should be similar barring the MLD, if yours got it.

US aftermarket is making short work of the m2dicr performance upgrades currently. Indian aftermarket never bothered with m2dicr due to crde availability. I tend to believe the simpler leaf sprung Thar with its supposedly IH genes is more jeep than the IFS crde. And it's now crossing 100hp/200lbf with US tuning against a stock 62/144 with ~120kph speed.

Yes wiring diagram for the DI/m2dicr is what Roxor market will need.

And, welcome to the forum. )

Conversion of a N.A XD3P into a XD3TE (with Turbo and Intercooler)

Last edited:

Karl Probts

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Manas,
Your thar is badass.
How much would it cost at a dealer to get a complete hard top,with doors ?
Tell us about some of the common modifications you have seen.
Any weak points in the thar?
Glad to have someone on this forum that has alot of hours drive time.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The US aftermarket for small 4x4s is absolutely obnoxious. No shortcoming will last for long. That being said, having owned the vehicles upon which many of the Roxor concepts are based, you can tell kepts their eyes and ears open and incorporated the best of the aftermarket changes over the years. It really is an impressive machine, and it's only going to get insanely cooler once people realize what it is, and what is possible due to the aftermarket here.

..and definitely, Manas' Thar is badass.

manasm

Manas,
Your thar is badass.
How much would it cost at a dealer to get a complete hard top,with doors ?
Tell us about some of the common modifications you have seen.
Any weak points in the thar?
Glad to have someone on this forum that has alot of hours drive time.

Thanks Karl!

Most of the mods we have here are to the CRDE. The mods are usually more interior mods to make the vehicle more comfortable. The CRDEs here are used by a lot of people as daily drivers along with their families. A lot of people bling them up and use them as mall crawlers sadly. One of the first "modifications" on a thar that most people do is to remove the Mahindra and Thar badging and replace them with Jeep badging.

I have been reading a lot about there being a lift of 2" for the front end. Why is that? Does the Roxor not sit evenly? If the front end is dipping, please check the settings on your torsion bars. All it needs is for you to adjust the left and right bars to raise and lower and even out the front end.

I have a body lift on my vehicle. This has allowed me to throw on 33s without having to cut any fenders. The body lift is probably the simplest lift and requires 16 bushes and longer bolts. You will also have to extend brake lines, clutch lines, steering and gear knobs. It is quite straight forward and can be done with ready available aftermarket lines for the brake and clutch and a little welding for the steering and gears.

I would keep an eye on CV joints. Those are the weakest links in the suspension and we have all broken them offroad in our Thars. The engines - especially the DI ones that you have in your ROXORs are pretty bulletproof and you can see these machines doing all kinds of insane things. You can pretty much McGuyver the engines with chewing gum and duct tape and it will keep going in case of break downs. I will speak to some friends who own the DI and try and post what to look out for.

I would recommend joining or lurking on an Indian forum called team-bhp - www.team-bhp.com - there is a lot of information about Thars, issues, solutions, modifications etc.

Norseman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
LE#62
Thanks Karl!

Most of the mods we have here are to the CRDE. The mods are usually more interior mods to make the vehicle more comfortable. The CRDEs here are used by a lot of people as daily drivers along with their families. A lot of people bling them up and use them as mall crawlers sadly. One of the first "modifications" on a thar that most people do is to remove the Mahindra and Thar badging and replace them with Jeep badging.

I have been reading a lot about there being a lift of 2" for the front end. Why is that? Does the Roxor not sit evenly? If the front end is dipping, please check the settings on your torsion bars. All it needs is for you to adjust the left and right bars to raise and lower and even out the front end.

I have a body lift on my vehicle. This has allowed me to throw on 33s without having to cut any fenders. The body lift is probably the simplest lift and requires 16 bushes and longer bolts. You will also have to extend brake lines, clutch lines, steering and gear knobs. It is quite straight forward and can be done with ready available aftermarket lines for the brake and clutch and a little welding for the steering and gears.

I would keep an eye on CV joints. Those are the weakest links in the suspension and we have all broken them offroad in our Thars. The engines - especially the DI ones that you have in your ROXORs are pretty bulletproof and you can see these machines doing all kinds of insane things. You can pretty much McGuyver the engines with chewing gum and duct tape and it will keep going in case of break downs. I will speak to some friends who own the DI and try and post what to look out for.

I would recommend joining or lurking on an Indian forum called team-bhp - www.team-bhp.com - there is a lot of information about Thars, issues, solutions, modifications etc.

The Roxor is straight axles front and rear and leaf springs. I think axle over lift kits are available, and four link suspension lifts will be in its future.

Welcome to the forum! I feel we owe India a great debt of gratitude for returning our old school jeeps to us! 6 months ago I thought Americans drove Jeeps and the world drove Land Rovers and Toyotas!

In high school, I had a buddy that had a 55 Willys flat fender with a built Chevy 350 V8. Painted matte grey same as my Roxor. We would go down to Spokane and drag it on Riverside ave. Many O hotrod.... Camaros, Mustangs, Chevelles, Challengers, etc would fall to that little Willys from stop light to stop light. After they lost they would roll down their windows and challenge us to get up on the I-90 interstate running through Spokane. We would just shake our heads “no”, and drive off. That flat fender launched so hard off the line I thought it would snap my neck. In low range.....top speed was about 45 miles per hour. But in four wheel drive when the tires got warm that was the fastest rig down there from one city block to the next. Had headers and short lay pipes and it would shake the windows of the store fronts it was so loud.

And after our Friday night of rodding around Spokane and chasing girls? We would load up camp, beer and our hunting rifles and drive around in the mountains all weekend long on logging roads.

Lots of fond memories!

Karl Probts

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
manasm
I checked out that team bhp site. India is way more rural than I ever thought. Most of the guys I have met at work from your country must be from the big cities. It looks to be very timbered. Very green with a lot of vegetation.

Some damn nice thars on there.

I found a few places that sell hard tops, but no prices. I doubt they would want to ship to US. Or at least they haven't yet.

Can you tell me what that black plastic thing at the top mount of the head lights is? It has an electrical connection, and on mine says do not break seal. It can be twisted like a light bulb, and it comes off. Seems to change headlight aim. The Roxor has no wires running to it.

throttleitout

manasm
I checked out that team bhp site. India is way more rural than I ever thought. Most of the guys I have met at work from your country must be from the big cities. It looks to be very timbered. Very green with a lot of vegetation.

Some damn nice thars on there.

I found a few places that sell hard tops, but no prices. I doubt they would want to ship to US. Or at least they haven't yet.

Can you tell me what that black plastic thing at the top mount of the head lights is? It has an electrical connection, and on mine says do not break seal. It can be twisted like a light bulb, and it comes off. Seems to change headlight aim. The Roxor has no wires running to it.
Hey,
Excited to see a post like this here. I am from India too, (virajpet, that's near Kodagu valley down the south, an area famous for coffee plantation !!!).. and I came to US in 2008 and live near El Paso Texas.

Ever since my chum bought a roxor I was too keen to get one..And now I am in India on a vacation and last week I just bought a used Mahindra thar and like you guys know that's roxor's cousin !!!..I owned a Mahindra Major (now that's a slightly modified Mahindra version of CJ540..) in 2005. In late 80s Mahindra had something called CL550 which came with international harvester engine initially and later on with MDI3200 Engine which was an evolved version of the famous IDI engine. Later in 2003 or 2004 MM launched Mahindra Major with almost similar engine but with a turbo charger..Major and 550s were torque monsters. Any terrain it would easily get through easily.. Then came the thar in 2010 which was nothing but MM540 with a new slightly better engine giving out around 63Bhp instead of 58 in Major. Thar is more of a family kind of vehicle, but major was a workhorse.

throttleitout

Umm nope, Scorpio's NEF engine come from Peugeout XD3P engines. XD3 engines served many French cars including the military Peugeot P4. XD3P > NEF249TCIC > crde is the line it took. It's the DI series that seems to have 60's IH tractor roots, that too from Mahindra B575 than directly from B275. It looks like B275(MDI2350)> B575(MDI3200)> DI> M2dicr. NEF common rail slapped onto DI block made the m2dicr is the current verdict.

Your experience driving the crde Thar with IFS will thus be different from what one could expect from a DI based leaf sprung Roxor. Rest of the vehicle should be similar barring the MLD, if yours got it.

US aftermarket is making short work of the m2dicr performance upgrades currently. Indian aftermarket never bothered with m2dicr due to crde availability. I tend to believe the simpler leaf sprung Thar with its supposedly IH genes is more jeep than the IFS crde. And it's now crossing 100hp/200lbf with US tuning against a stock 62/144 with ~120kph speed.

Yes wiring diagram for the DI/m2dicr is what Roxor market will need.

And, welcome to the forum. )
Hey Sandyx, looks like you really did research a lot. So have you heard about this mhawk engine that MM had on scorpio. Heard it was developed the first engine indipendently developed by Mahindra.

Vinay Thomas

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I see many of you have a Ecu with low speed specs locked,
Will be happy to help anyone with the Indian version of Ecu which is 65bhp, the same can be shipped to you, if you need any other parts which can be suitable for the roxor will arrange.

quickshot

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Will be happy to help anyone with the Indian version of Ecu which is 65bhp, the same can be shipped to you, if you need any other parts which can be suitable for the roxor will arrange.
Viney, do you know if the India Thar full doors will fit the Roxor? Can they be shipped to the USA?

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I would love to get my hands on an extra ecu. PM me with price and payment info if your interested. Also include the exact part number so I can cross reference and make sure it will work. I don't know if the stock tune on it will work with this machine, but I'll bet it can be re flashed by disel freaks if its the same computer.