ooooooooooo

Give me a No-Pooper...

lcp

Our old Yamaha Rhino is about worn out and I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with. I'm considering the Roxor. It seems quite a bit more versatile than a Rhino and I like the idea of it being able to run on the ag diesel I have stored on our place for the tractor (and my old 12V Dodge Cummins if the SHTF). We might even take it up to Colorado on our annual summer vacation and explore the Alpine Loop with it. What I'm needing is the good, bad, and the ugly on these machines. Here's a few questions:

1) What should I look for in a used machine and how many miles is high mileage?
2) Will parts be hard to get in the next few years?
3) Our place is hilly and rocky and slow speeds are preferred. Is an older machine with 3.73 gears or the newer ones with 5.38 gears the better plan, considering I'll
probably put 235/85 16 tires on it?

These are my main concerns at this time. Please, feel free to lay any advice you might have on me. Thanks in advance.

lcp

UPDATE:

I've jumped in head first and agreed to buy a 2018 with 10.5k on the clock. It's well equipped with a street legal kit including turn signals, windshield and wipers, a Dirt Legal ECM tune, a Warn M8000 winch, Warn manual hubs, hard half top, bluetooth sound bar, spare tire and carrier, and impressive looking mud tires. I'm supposed to go pick it up on Friday, so I hope I'm making a good decision.

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
UPDATE:

I've jumped in head first and agreed to buy a 2018 with 10.5k on the clock. It's well equipped with a street legal kit including turn signals, windshield and wipers, a Dirt Legal ECM tune, a Warn M8000 winch, Warn manual hubs, hard half top, bluetooth sound bar, spare tire and carrier, and impressive looking mud tires. I'm supposed to go pick it up on Friday, so I hope I'm making a good decision.
I think you’ll be happy. I just rolled over 23k with my 2018, just like yours, only difference is I’ve put a hardtop and a heater in mine, and turn signals. If you’re going to do lots of off reading, where you might run through water, you may want to get an extra starter. A couple years ago, they were nearly impossible to get, but they’re available now. I think you’ll be very happy, I’ve owned a couple jeeps over the years, and this is just like them, except the fir little Diesel engine, which is amazing (especially with ag fuel, because diesel is pricey now, but it gets great mileage per gallon)

lcp

I think you’ll be happy. I just rolled over 23k with my 2018, just like yours, only difference is I’ve put a hardtop and a heater in mine, and turn signals. If you’re going to do lots of off reading, where you might run through water, you may want to get an extra starter. A couple years ago, they were nearly impossible to get, but they’re available now. I think you’ll be very happy, I’ve owned a couple jeeps over the years, and this is just like them, except the fir little Diesel engine, which is amazing (especially with ag fuel, because diesel is pricey now, but it gets great mileage per gallon)
Thanks for the response. Having ag diesel on hand here for my tractor played in to the decision to buy a Roxor rather than another Rhino. I'm pretty sure I can use it to make runs to town for feed too. I'm also thinking it'll be fun exploring the Alpine Loop in a more rustic way. I'll take your advice on the starter. I like having spares on hand to address the most likely failures.

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I found the stock gears, 3.73 too tall. I changed them out to 4.88 with new 30 spline axles to run with 33" tires and front and rear lockers. But I was building mine up to survive the Rubicon trail, which it did. I think you will like the Roxor better than a typical sxs if the slower go anywhere style appeals to you.

lcp

I found the stock gears, 3.73 too tall. I changed them out to 4.88 with new 30 spline axles to run with 33" tires and front and rear lockers. But I was building mine up to survive the Rubicon trail, which it did. I think you will like the Roxor better than a typical sxs if the slower go anywhere style appeals to you.
The slower (actually notice the scenery) style is exactly what we like. I quit rock-crawling years ago when it got to be just a spending competition. When we go to Colorado, we go for the scenery and like to be able to access places that aren't so crowded. Off-roading is just our way to see the best sights. I'm in the process now of changing the gears in a TJ we've had for 10 years from 3.07 to 4.10 to make it more driveable offroad and make th 5th gear useable on the road. I'll see how the Roxor does and consider doing the same to it. Thanks.

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
UPDATE:

You may want to check to if it has an intake hold down rod, or an aftermarket intake. When I got my hold down rod, they were about 45 dollars, makes a world of difference

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks for the response. Having ag diesel on hand here for my tractor played in to the decision to buy a Roxor rather than another Rhino. I'm pretty sure I can use it to make runs to town for feed too. I'm also thinking it'll be fun exploring the Alpine Loop in a more rustic way. I'll take your advice on the starter. I like having spares on hand to address the most likely failures.

551A.057 is your AG exemption for road use. Click that link for 52.002 in the 551A.057 section of the pdf to see the definition of an agricultural product. You’ll find this exemption is very broad and as long as you have an AG/timber number and doing something that is AG related you’ll be covered under the exemption. Feed will most definitely fall under it. Most LEO will not be knowledgeable of this exemption so I would advise to keep a copy of it on you or have a link to it in your phone to point them to it should the need ever arise. Just make sure you have that triangular flag and your lights on while on the road and you’ll meet all the requirements.

Reactions: lcp

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Enjoying the scenery is why I got mine. Slow and enjoy your company as well without yelling. Everyone is a cheaply built sxs is always in a hurry

Reactions: lcp

G.Tallant

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
What all do you need to change a roxor to 30 spline axels ? I’m going the other way on gears. I have 2 roxors, an 18 w/373’s and a 22 w/538’s. The 18 is fine for off-road. The 22 I’m building is going to be a road-cruiser. Street legal, enclosed cab. I’m wanting to do 307’s in it. So to do that I would have to go to jeep 30 spline axels, ring& pinion,etc. just gathering info

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I own 2 SXS's and my Roxor. They all serve their different roles, sometimes I wanna fly through the trails, sometimes work on the property, and sometimes I wanna enjoy the scenery. The Roxor sounds like a great option for what you want. I hope you enjoy it, if you get it. And stay calm and Roxor on my friend!

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
What all do you need to change a roxor to 30 spline axels ? I’m going the other way on gears. I have 2 roxors, an 18 w/373’s and a 22 w/538’s. The 18 is fine for off-road. The 22 I’m building is going to be a road-cruiser. Street legal, enclosed cab. I’m wanting to do 307’s in it. So to do that I would have to go to jeep 30 spline axels, ring& pinion,etc. just gathering info
What size tire are you planning on runnin? 3.07s are awfully high geared. Depending on tire size you‘d probably be better served with 3.55s or lower

G.Tallant

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
32” tires +/-, my goal is 65 mph under 2000 rpm on flat ground. You may be right 355’s. I just thought if a TJ worked with 307’s and a four cylinder then a roxor would as well. My sons 2018/373’s,30” tires, does 65 mph at 2400 rpm. Both ours are stage 2ed and set up the same. So I don’t need to much from 373….355 ?

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You need a new carrier. Roxor has its own carrier and gears. On The Rox sells carriers and gear for your ratio. Also order upgrade 30 spline chrome alloy axels. They arent too bad to replace. Helps if you have a car lift and experince. Or a knowledgeable friend handy.