ooooooooooo

Getting roxor street legal or not!

Trebz

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I should have just made the drive myself - but instead I paid Dirt Legal to do it. My paperwork was just sent to SD today, so hoping to be on the road soon.

Took an illegal ride around the neighborhood today. The vehicle is just so much more fun than my Rzr, but unfortunately there are very few areas to ride it off-road in MN. We bought it mainly for use around our cabin in the summer, and then for plowing in the winter.

MNROXOR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I should have just made the drive myself - but instead I paid Dirt Legal to do it. My paperwork was just sent to SD today, so hoping to be on the road soon.

Took an illegal ride around the neighborhood today. The vehicle is just so much more fun than my Rzr, but unfortunately there are very few areas to ride it off-road in MN. We bought it mainly for use around our cabin in the summer, and then for plowing in the winter.
I live two hours west of Minneapolis and I have drive it there, then to St. Cloud and back. Plan to hit the Minnesota river valley this weekend.

Trebz

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So you drove it without plates and had no issues? Then when you got your plate, was it the smaller motorcycle sized plates?

MNROXOR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have never been bothered. I drove about a month with just the DNR sticker. Then went and got the SD plate about 4 months ago, yes motorcycle plate. I have mine tuned so it will do highway speeds. I think they would mess with you if you were doing forty-five down they highway. My father-in-law has one and he goes all over with just his DNR sticker. He has a 3500 miles on his and I have about 3000 on mine.

Trebz

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Fantastic. Maybe I will see how brave I am tomorrow and drive it up north from the cities:). I don’t have the DNR sticker yet.

Trebz

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have the KMS stage 1 ECU in the box. I just have not put it in yet. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I will do a little homework and advise. I’m going pheasant hunting in SD in a couple of weeks. Still, riding around in SC with SD

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I spoke to the SDDMV. They were familiar with the Roxor and they would issue an off road non resident plate along with a title and registration also indicating "off road use only." This would allow me to ride legally on SD roads trails, etc. However it does not supersede or otherwise make legal any motor vehicle laws in any other state, in my case, SC. They also indicated the plate is motorcycle size which would draw as much attention as no plate at all.

So, I will continue to operate my ROXOR on a golf car permit in the state of SC.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I tried registering mine in Minnesota after putting everything that it needs to be street legal and they won't do it. I drove across the border into South Dakota pay $69.00 an titled/registered it as a non-resident and was given a SD license. You can mail your information and they will mail you plates. I have driven all over southern MN with mine with no problems.
Did they give you a full size plate or one for a motorcycle?

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I spoke to the SDDMV. They were familiar with the Roxor and they would issue an off road non resident plate along with a title and registration also indicating "off road use only." This would allow me to ride legally on SD roads trails, etc. However it does not supersede or otherwise make legal any motor vehicle laws in any other state, in my case, SC. They also indicated the plate is motorcycle size which would draw as much attention as no plate at all.

So, I will continue to operate my ROXOR on a golf car permit in the state of SC.
I agree with this. First of all, the small plate will draw attention because the cops who think its a Jeep will wonder what its doing with a motorcycle plate. Since the registration says Off road use only I cannot see why this is much better than running around without a plate. Dang if only we could find a way of getting a full sized plate...I would see that as an advantage then even if the registration indicated off-road use, because the full size plate would not attract attention of the cops.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I agree with this. First of all, the small plate will draw attention because the cops who think its a Jeep will wonder what its doing with a motorcycle plate. Since the registration says Off road use only I cannot see why this is much better than running around without a plate. Dang if only we could find a way of getting a full sized plate...I would see that as an advantage then even if the registration indicated off-road use, because the full size plate would not attract attention of the cops.
Go to Michigan and get a full size plate

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Meyerld: check the golf car regs in GA. I was at SeaIsland and they are running around all over the place. Just a thought.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've done 600 miles in new York with an south Dakota motorcycle plate with zero issues.

I was nervous at first but apparently no one cares

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I tried registering mine in Minnesota after putting everything that it needs to be street legal and they won't do it. I drove across the border into South Dakota pay $69.00 an titled/registered it as a non-resident and was given a SD license. You can mail your information and they will mail you plates. I have driven all over southern MN with mine with no problems.
Supposed to get my new vin and title from Michigan next week. Really? I was told by a Mahindra employee that you should be able to get it street legal in minnesota thru the kit car process.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Will Michigan allow registration of out-of-state vehicles like South Dakata? If not, then this is only a solution if you are a resident of Michigan.
I live in minnesota and my dealership in Michigan took care of all the dmv work to get mine street legal

Last edited:

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Meyerld: check the golf car regs in GA. I was at SeaIsland and they are running around all over the place. Just a thought.
Legal to drive a golf cart in GA if the speed limit on the road is less than 35 mph.