ooooooooooo

Getting roxor street legal or not!

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Pejo- You might be on the right track and you might not. I think it’s a stretch to think that your Michigan title will pass muster in Minnesota no questions asked. Hope it works out for you. There is no way this scheme would work in Missouri. Just because you have a Michigan title does not automatically mean Minnesota will title and register your Roxor. Are you going to title/register in Minnesota?
I contacted my two closest local DMV they said they can’t deny a title that says road legal from another state they said I could of done the same process in my own state in getting this legal as a kit car I didn’t go thru that process due to the fact haven’t heard of anyone going thru this process before in minnesota. My advice to anyone who wants to do this is call your dmv ask them what has to be done to get a car street legal as a kit car or go online should be able to find the documents there for your state

B

Bister

If someone doesn’t want to drive it on the road don’t but the rest of us who have made it street legal thru the state of Michigan and elsewhere will proudly drive it. This vehicle is made from parts from the Thar and that’s street legal in India.
They actually just built the last 700 Thar's, numbered editions. They stopped production cause they don't meet the new safety standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I contacted my two closest local DMV they said they can’t deny a title that says road legal from another state they said I could of done the same process in my own state in getting this legal as a kit car I didn’t go thru that process due to the fact haven’t heard of anyone going thru this process before in minnesota. My advice to anyone who wants to do this is call your dmv ask them what has to be done to get a car street legal as a kit car or go online should be able to find the documents there for your state
Technically not a kit car because it’s assembled from a factory, only way Michigan allows this is because they reintroduced another bill saying UTV’s can be plated if all conditions are met. Up until March you wouldn’t of been able to plate this in Michigan either because it had an off-road only title designation. Hope all works out in your favor, keep us updated with your Minnesota title process.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Technically not a kit car because it’s assembled from a factory, only way Michigan allows this is because they reintroduced another bill saying UTV’s can be plated if all conditions are met. Up until March you wouldn’t of been able to plate this in Michigan either because it had an off-road only title designation. Hope all works out in your favor, keep us updated with your Minnesota title process.
I definitely will worse case it says titled for Michigan but when it gets transferred to minnesota I will show you guys the plate.

RoxorYooper

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I definitely will worse case it says titled for Michigan but when it gets transferred to minnesota I will show you guys the plate.
It’ll be a regular Michigan title that says assembled roadster or pickup and you’ll be issued a Michigan VIN, my only thought is will Minnesota want to inspect the vehicle. My title has no mention of Roxor only the insurance company wanted to know what was the initial vehicle.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It’ll be a regular Michigan title that says assembled roadster or pickup and you’ll be issued a Michigan VIN, my only thought is will Minnesota want to inspect the vehicle. My title has no mention of Roxor only the insurance company wanted to know what was the initial vehicle.
Very true the worst thing dmv said it may be flagged and will be looked over one more time.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The clerks at DMV know crap. Finding someone that can give you a legitimate answer is near impossible. Roll the dice and take your chances.

MaineRox

I spoke with the Maine State registry office and they said "no way, no how." Did someone mention nanny state!?! Even if Roxor is heavily modified with genuine Willys parts and a street legal kit, they will not allow it on the road. No transferring custom/kit car registration from another state. Off road only (but not on UTV trails)! No wiggle room at all.

Well. The fat lady just sang. Think I'm done with this quest. Too bad.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I spoke with the Maine State registry office and they said "no way, no how." Did someone mention nanny state!?! Even if Roxor is heavily modified with genuine Willys parts and a street legal kit, they will not allow it on the road. No transferring custom/kit car registration from another state. Off road only (but not on UTV trails)! No wiggle room at all.

Well. The fat lady just sang. Think I'm done with this quest. Too bad.
What did Cindy say? That’s her main job at MANA unofficially.

MaineRox

What did Cindy say? That’s her main job at MANA unofficially.

OK, I'm done pouting now. That was a premature "I'm out." :) I'll be calling her soon.

I did reach the New Hampshire state registry (soon to have office there) after my post and they sound much more reasonable regarding custom vehicles. They do need to pass a salvage inspection and then get a new VIN so it has to be altered enough for that classification. That part shouldn't be too difficult, though, especially owning a CJ. Not sure about diesel and emissions.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
OK, I'm done pouting now. That was a premature "I'm out." :) I'll be calling her soon.

I did reach the New Hampshire state registry (soon to have office there) after my post and they sound much more reasonable regarding custom vehicles. They do need to pass a salvage inspection and then get a new VIN so it has to be altered enough for that classification. That part shouldn't be too difficult, though, especially owning a CJ. Not sure about diesel and emissions.
Good luck! Sounds like you have a chance!

Driver8

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
They actually just built the last 700 Thar's, numbered editions. They stopped production cause they don't meet the new safety standards.

I like that they kind of immortalized the Thar in the "700". The changes in the Indian safety standards will have a significant impact on the Roxor's advancement. On the up side, maybe the Roxor will get an airbag checking off what is essentially the final check box in the us federal mandated safety requirements that could technically make the Roxor street legal in the US from the manufacturer.

Note: It is federally mandated that all vehicles manufactured after 1998 must have airbags for the front driver and passenger. Oddly enough, that doesn't mean you have to actually have airbags in your car. That puts the Roxor in a very gray area.

Maineah

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
At least up here, I know several officers who are very Jeep literate. Unless a Roxor has replaced its Mahindra markings and make a grill change, I wouldn't want to be driving past an officer. Very likely to get noticed and in many sleepy Maine towns they're just looking for somthing to do. Maine is so steadfast in refusing ATVs on the road it wouldn't be pretty. That's why I am hesitant to use Street Legal.
I purchased my Roxor last month. Got a great deal on it and was looking forward to taking it out of the trails.

Turned on the TV this morning and find out Governor Mill’s has created an “ATV task force” to address social, economic, legal, and environmental problems caused by certain ATV operation. Some of the things they are focusing on are: Creating an ATV trail system with consideration to ATV size, weight and environmental impact, discuss construction and maintenance standards for Maine’s ATV trail system. Create a plan to enforce compliance of trail construction and maintenance standards, discuss ATV registration requirements based on size, width, weight and/or value.

This has me very nervous as the Roxor is the heaviest in the ATV/UTV family. It’s probably about the same length and width of a 4 seater Polaris Ranger and is valued at nearly $20K. I had to pay $1,200 in State sales tax just to get it registered to allow use on the State trail system. I’m afraid after all this, my State will find the Roxor is “too big” for State trails.

I thought, well if they won’t let me on the trails, perhaps I’ll modify it (windshield and turn signals) and try to have it be road legal. I made a few calls to some State folks and was told I may get one past the goalie but if someone paying attention at BMV catches wind of it being registered they may suspend my registration because the Roxor is not rated by the manufacturer for emissions and crash safety standards.

Either way I might be screwed. Might not be allowed to use it on trails and might not be allowed to use it on the street.

It was suggested I sell it, but who’s wants to get into the same boat I’m in? I was also told to buy 40-50 acres up north and start my own ATV Park. Thanks.....not helpful.

Anyone got a good idea?

MaineRox

Either way I might be screwed. Might not be allowed to use it on trails and might not be allowed to use it on the street.

It was suggested I sell it, but who’s wants to get into the same boat I’m in? I was also told to buy 40-50 acres up north and start my own ATV Park. Thanks.....not helpful.

Anyone got a good idea?

Where did you get the Roxor? I have been talking with the folks at Reynolds in Buxton and they tried the street legal kit route with no real luck. Even had contacted, hoping for help, the Mahindra rep. Not a good situation.

That's why I am ready to merge a Roxor with my 1949 Willys and register it as a custom vehicle. Longshot, I know.

What part of the state are you in? I'm in York County. Have you come across any Jeep clubs that you can join? That's been the best idea I could think of. Maybe we can talk. Do you know any other Maine Roxor owners?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor is too heavy for WI trail system.. for now. Them limo utvs will push the envelope.

Most states should have an avenue to street legality if you look hard enough.

MAGAHAWK

I purchased my Roxor last month. Got a great deal on it and was looking forward to taking it out of the trails.

Turned on the TV this morning and find out Governor Mill’s has created an “ATV task force” to address social, economic, legal, and environmental problems caused by certain ATV operation. Some of the things they are focusing on are: Creating an ATV trail system with consideration to ATV size, weight and environmental impact, discuss construction and maintenance standards for Maine’s ATV trail system. Create a plan to enforce compliance of trail construction and maintenance standards, discuss ATV registration requirements based on size, width, weight and/or value.

This has me very nervous as the Roxor is the heaviest in the ATV/UTV family. It’s probably about the same length and width of a 4 seater Polaris Ranger and is valued at nearly $20K. I had to pay $1,200 in State sales tax just to get it registered to allow use on the State trail system. I’m afraid after all this, my State will find the Roxor is “too big” for State trails.

I thought, well if they won’t let me on the trails, perhaps I’ll modify it (windshield and turn signals) and try to have it be road legal. I made a few calls to some State folks and was told I may get one past the goalie but if someone paying attention at BMV catches wind of it being registered they may suspend my registration because the Roxor is not rated by the manufacturer for emissions and crash safety standards.

Anyone got a good idea?
I Know.... I Know..... this Post is Long as Hell -- Holy SH*T this is really a HOT TOPIC!! 7,000 views on this original post ? OMG! There apparently are a whole bunch of potential Roxor owners out there that are looking for answers to this topic. The biggest issue is 50 states with literally hundreds of different rules regulations and personalities at DMV.

(I kinda like the reproduction vehicle approach for one) gather all the info you can get your hands on. I'm in Arizona and fortunately don't have to deal with the communist bureaucracy found in many areas of this Great Country we live in. Hell you can drive a friggin' GOLF CART on the street here in Arizona (under 35mph zones) with a gun on your hip and a rifle in the golf bag!! And golf carts don't even have titles!! Cops are cool and respectful here in AZ - Freedom and common sense - I love it:cool:

Anyway - When I lived in other States I processed MANY titles and registrations using the MSO or old title and registration and in a few instances no title at all (lost) or bill of sale for the Vehicle. (note: there are in fact vendors that sell actual old titles for vehicles - do some research on google ) Guys find an old vehicle, replace sheet metal and do power train swaps all the time and usually just apply for a lost title, Point is, a lot of things can be done that are out of the norm. I registered several custom Harleys with nothing but an MSO for the crate motor from HD and a receipt for a frame,

Some ideas below - certainly not rocket science, just a little common sense

If Roxors could be considered Reproduction vehicles, Then that might open the door for street use. Again - each State bureaucracy is different

When you contact DMV Do NOT offer too much information, simply treat the encounter as a fact finding mission - take notes - and come back another day when you have your facts together after researching your State

Note: Every once in a while a few DMV employees have been known to abuse their "power" and if you approach one of those employees wrong you are fu*ked from the beginning. Try to look for one that is not a Newbie because they will always call over a "supervisor" and that can just complicate the process, too many fingers in the pie. Don't speak a lot and offer only info required to complete you mission of gathering information, they will usually offer a lot of info if they feel comfortable. Be pleasant and respectful, and if possible see the same agent each time you visit. " Hi Christina, I need your help to complete this project, can you please offer me some information or advise today?" is a good opener. (may seem corny to some people, but it usually works pretty well) Tell them you have an MSO and bill of sale for your Antique reproduction WW2 "Jeep" that you would might like to take to car shows and swap meets. This creates a whole new mind set for the DMV employee. Do not bring the MSO this trip. You've seen other car show vehicles like your's with plates. What are the taxes and fees required to be able to do that? write down the list of requirements and fees. Do not bring up safety equip, DEQ inspections, windshield etc. Do not bring up SXS or UTV, or all of the alarms in the building will be activated at once!! Always refer to your vehicle as a modern reproduction of a 1947 Jeep . Any questions they bring up just write it down in front of them. "I'll have to check on that, it's in storage right now." Do not say what features or equipment you do or do not have. Remember this is a polite fact finding mission, you're not trying to get a plate today. The eventual outcome may be a disappointment but at least you will gain valuable info for Plan B or C or D. Tell the Agent that because they have been so professional and helpful (I guan*sstee you that they don't hear that every day) and spent so much of their valuable time helping you with this particular project that it would mean a great deal to you if you could request them personally for their help when you return with you completed list of requirements to get your proper registration. Write down their name in front of them. Ask "whats the best way for me to contact you? I know this is a long post and some may say "yeah that's all a bunch of BS" Well I respect your opinion so please.... no pissn' matches ..... like the younger generation says "whatever".......

I would really like to see all Roxors owners be able to use public roads (that we all buy and maintain with our tax dollars) so they can get out and truly use them in the environment that they were originally designed for. I can't tell you how much I enjoy driving mine. Is it fast? NO Is is it funky & clunky? Oh yea! Most of all for me it's a time machine! Fun AS HELL!! Nothing like you and a companion heading out on a rural road and taking off into the hills with a couple of .22s and just kick around. I've been wanting a rig like this ever since a buddy started driving his old 1947 Jeep to school every day back in the Pacific North West. I have personally registered and titled over 70 vehicles in my day (yeah I'm an OLD GUY) Cars, boats, trucks, motorcycles, trailers campers you name it. (Oregon, Washington, Arizona) and have learned you can accomplish your objective a lot easier using at least some of this info. Every DMV encounter is different and unique - just like us. Here in Arizona they treat you like a valued customer (which is what you are) I certainly can't say that about some of my encounters in other States. Hope this stirred up some brain cells.

Note: Google Reproduction vehicles and also Replica Vehicles

Remember There are bunches of old Jeeps, goofy 3 wheelers, sling shots, home made rigs and all kinds of different stuff all over our roads in this country. There is even a guy building reproduction Ford Model T's with modern running gear and fiberglass bodies and they do get registered. There are all kinds of examples like this. I'm hoping with patience and persistence these reproduction Jeeps will make the cut. You'll find that small town DMV privately owned third party licensing locations are a good option as opposed to state run sites with State employees. We have a bunch of them in the West and they seem to be more receptive to transactions that are a little out of the norm. Translation: They charge a fee for their service they get paid a commission from the State,

"Adapt and overcome"
Plan D: Move to Arizona:cool: Good Luck

Maineah

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Where did you get the Roxor? I have been talking with the folks at Reynolds in Buxton and they tried the street legal kit route with no real luck. Even had contacted, hoping for help, the Mahindra rep. Not a good situation.

That's why I am ready to merge a Roxor with my 1949 Willys and register it as a custom vehicle. Longshot, I know.

What part of the state are you in? I'm in York County. Have you come across any Jeep clubs that you can join? That's been the best idea I could think of. Maybe we can talk. Do you know any other Maine Roxor owners?
I live near Reynolds and have been in touch with them.
I don’t know of any Jeep clubs and have yet to come across any Roxor owners. I’ve been researching the “custom vehicle” option as well and it appears, since it resembles a vehicle 25yrs old or older and has been modified (added a windshield, wipers and turn signals) it meets the BMV definition as a custom vehicle. I’m not in it to drive my Roxor to work or as my primary mode of transportation but I would be nice not to have to worry about anything when going for fuel or taking the kids to get ice cream.

I do appreciate the long post the fella from Arizona posted. I like the “kill em with kindness approach” and perhaps I’ll give that a shot when I make a move at registering my reproduction 1947 Willy Jeep.

MNROXOR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I tried registering mine in Minnesota after putting everything that it needs to be street legal and they won't do it. I drove across the border into South Dakota pay $69.00 an titled/registered it as a non-resident and was given a SD license. You can mail your information and they will mail you plates. I have driven all over southern MN with mine with no problems.