ooooooooooo

Getting roxor street legal or not!

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've driven some crazy "cars" on the street and never been bothered. What is the worst that could happen?

My hunch is no one is going to care one bit. Anyway I put my money where my mouth is so I guess I'll find out.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
At least up here, I know several officers who are very Jeep literate. Unless a Roxor has replaced its Mahindra markings and make a grill change, I wouldn't want to be driving past an officer. Very likely to get noticed and in many sleepy Maine towns they're just looking for somthing to do. Maine is so steadfast in refusing ATVs on the road it wouldn't be pretty. That's why I am hesitant to use Street Legal.
I bought mine in Michigan had the dealership handle the inspection. Now going on week two waiting on the new vin and new road legal title after that happens will take a road trip to get her.

MaineRox

What is the worst that could happen?.
They take some of my money, temporarily take my Roxor and make it hard for me to enjoy it. (Not to mention interfering with my marital bliss.) We don't own a ranch or have trails next door so need some way to get to the great Maine woods. A lot could go wrong.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
In that case, don't get it. Why risk your marital bliss? I am sure there are easier alternatives.

I got mine because I am 95% certain I will be fine. I have SD Plates and Insurance and although it's not 100% I will give it a shot. If it fails I will sell. it.
If you cant afford to take the hit why would you take such a pointless risk. And there is definitely a risk. Smaller then you think probably but it's not totally kosher, obviously.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Someday the Milky Way will collide with Andromeda and Roxor hassles with the DMV will be resolved. Until then, just enjoy Roxor how you want, do no harm to others, pay any silly fines as you must and keep what's really important in perspective.

Cshama

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Right now I'm not driving anywhere as my Roxor has a slipping clutch after 10 miles unfortunately.

But I have plates and insurance and indicators on the way so hopefully that will change soon. Just from my previous experiences I know it'll be fine. Cops here have ZERO interest in what weird car you drive.

MAGAHAWK

Since Roxor is not street legal for the obvious reasons of safety and emissions. There are folks who are getting it street legal using some workarounds like registering in different states etc. I understand that its frustrating to have a vehicle ( stamped as UTV) and not be able to use it on roads. However, I was thinking about what ramifications this street legality can have over the whole product in the future? Think of the below scenario.

Someone who made this street legal, driving at 70MPH (after a tune of course), God forbid if this vehicle gets involved in a crash (a head-on collision for instance). I have 0 doubt that the person will be dead.
PS: Don't give the example of motorcycles here, I just want to understand what is the opinion of folks for roxor only. There is no comparison between a roxor or motorcycle and the fact is that a human can even be struck with lightning and still die; so don't draw those parallels between life and death. Lets, talk about safety and responsibility of the drivers who are making these things street legal.

1) Are the seat belts good enough to restrain a human body going at 70MPH?
2) Are the seats going to hold up at 70 MPH collusion? Even if the person doesn't fly out, the roxor doesn't have proper crumple zones which means more brutality?
3) The first casualty being the driver and the co-passengers what about the press taking note of something where a thing was made street legal when it is not supposed to be made?
4) I think the second casualty would be Mahindra where they might be slapped with lawsuits and bad press.
5) If such incidents happen I am pretty sure the folks on liberal side would push for stronger laws to prevent street legality, which means more laws and in turn, it can be bad for overall UTV community?
6) What about insurance companies? Will they compensate the victims or it will be a bureaucratic mess?

Share your thoughts and opinion, how a situation like above can be avoided etc. What are the folks doing for safety besides just adding wipers and turn signals. Not drinking and driving helps for instance!
I really don't get the "nanny state" mind set, but then again I grew up in an era when common sense was what kept people safe. Those that didn't use the common sense that God gave a goat sometimes had a rough time getting thru day. So ....... I guess we should cover them up in bubble wrap, lock them in the house and protect them from all external fears and anxiety. BUT...... before you do that , make sure to sign the bubble wrap liability waiver and also get a bubble wrap insurance policy just in case the bubbles pop :)

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I really don't get the "nanny state" mind set, but then again I grew up in an era when common sense was what kept people safe. Those that didn't use the common sense that God gave a goat sometimes had a rough time getting thru day. So ....... I guess we should cover them up in bubble wrap, lock them in the house and protect them from all external fears and anxiety. BUT...... before you do that , make sure to sign the bubble wrap liability waiver and also get a bubble wrap insurance policy just in case the bubbles pop :)
If someone doesn’t want to drive it on the road don’t but the rest of us who have made it street legal thru the state of Michigan and elsewhere will proudly drive it. This vehicle is made from parts from the Thar and that’s street legal in India.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I don't see any of the folks on here that are just asking questions because they want to enjoy their Roxors on the road as being judgmental or unsupportive of those that are ahead in this area and we're just trying to learn from you, which is I think what the forum is all about. Personally I am bound and determined to get this done. I was actually driving mine around on the road a bit with a plate from an old car of mine, but I guess that is probably not as good as getting it registered out of state, although probably not much.

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I don't see any of the folks on here that are just asking questions because they want to enjoy their Roxors on the road as being judgmental or unsupportive of those that are ahead in this area and we're just trying to learn from you, which is I think what the forum is all about. Personally I am bound and determined to get this done. I was actually driving mine around on the road a bit with a plate from an old car of mine, but I guess that is probably not as good as getting it registered out of state, although probably not much.
My advice is if you know someone in Michigan get it road legal there it is a super easy process. Otherwise go thru dirt legal don’t know what the laws are there but I can’t drive around with a small plate in minnesota I have to get a large plate. Last time I talked to them end of June they said they put there large plates on hold. Last piece of advice would be to first check on what the laws are in your state to get it registered as a kit car. That’s what my dealership did for me in Michigan. I had an inspection it passed now just waiting on the new vin and road legal title. I hope this helps.

MaineRox

Last piece of advice would be to first check on what the laws are in your state to get it registered as a kit car. That’s what my dealership did for me in Michigan. I had an inspection it passed now just waiting on the new vin and road legal title. I hope this helps.

What are similarities/differences between kit car and custom vehicle. Maine has a regulation regarding custom, but not kit. Is it really the same thing with a different name?

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
What are similarities/differences between kit car and custom vehicle. Maine has a regulation regarding custom, but not kit. Is it really the same thing with a different name?
Don’t know I never heard of custom vehicle in minnesota or Michigan. I think it is. Had the dealership put on all the necessary items for it to pass inspection and I assume in your state do the same thing then you get a new title and vin

MaineRox

An Act Regarding Street Rods and Custom Vehicles Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

"Custom vehicle" means: A motor vehicle that: (1) Was manufactured to resemble a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old; (2) Has been altered from the manufacturer's original design or has a body constructed from nonoriginal material; (3) Is maintained primarily for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest; and (4) Is not used as its owner's primary mode of transportation of passengers or goods."

I bet if I combined my 1949 CJ2A with a new Roxor in the right way, then it would meet the above. The question, as adressed somewhere in a previous thread, is what's the legal way? Could I just put the Willys windshield, hood, tailgate, fenders, grill, and tires and keep the Roxor body, engine, and interior? Wouldn't that make it a "super restomod"? :)

pejo0501

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
An Act Regarding Street Rods and Custom Vehicles Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

"Custom vehicle" means: A motor vehicle that: (1) Was manufactured to resemble a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old; (2) Has been altered from the manufacturer's original design or has a body constructed from nonoriginal material; (3) Is maintained primarily for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest; and (4) Is not used as its owner's primary mode of transportation of passengers or goods."

I bet if I combined my 1949 CJ2A with a new Roxor in the right way, then it would meet the above. The question, as adressed somewhere in a previous thread, is what's the legal way? Could I just put the Willys windshield, hood, tailgate, fenders, grill, and tires and keep the Roxor body, engine, and interior? Wouldn't that make it a "super restomod"? :)
I heard people going through crazy steps like taking the body off stretching a Jeep frame going thru what you are talking about doing. In minnesota and Michigan under the kit car after the vehicle passes inspection by putting the required parts on which are different among each state you get a new title which says you have an Assembled roadster and says it’s road legal. If you don’t feel like looking it up if you call dirt legal they will tell you what parts you need to make it street legal in your state. Otherwise you can call your dmv or look online to see what is required. If you have the skills to go thru custom car go for it. I don’t and never heard of anyone going thru this kit car process my dealership in Michigan has been taking car of everything for me. Otherwise I forgot I have a lady’s number that gets Roxor owners information to get them street legal in your state. If you are interested PM me

MAGAHAWK

License plate from an old car? Now that’s asking for trouble. I’d give that a second thought if I were you.

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Pejo- You might be on the right track and you might not. I think it’s a stretch to think that your Michigan title will pass muster in Minnesota no questions asked. Hope it works out for you. There is no way this scheme would work in Missouri. Just because you have a Michigan title does not automatically mean Minnesota will title and register your Roxor. Are you going to title/register in Minnesota?