ooooooooooo

Foamed Tires

Day Radebaugh

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I do a lot of pasture management work with my Roxor and would like to try to minimize flat tires as much as possible. The plan would be to "foam" the tires, which involves injecting a rubber compound into them and eliminating the air. There are two questions that arise. First, will the spindles and the other suspension components handle a large increase in weight? Second, would these aluminum rims that I have be able to seal all this gunk inside?

Opinions appreciated.

9635-52c998297cd1645ff4f868738ffe8ca0.jpeg
9636-f6edcfa89888f5857fffb400ffbbf76c.jpeg

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Definitely be more weight and maintenance as a result. Will it work? I don’t know but I think it would. If you need stronger spindles torque king had some they made. Only way to find out is to do it and see what issue pop up. Not sure how much heavier you’d be but factor that in as well if you’re ever spraying in wet pastures. I bet you’d be adding at least 200 lbs if not more to your total weight. If it was me I’d opt to do the liquid seal products like slime to reduce weight as well as make it easier to change tires in the future. From what I understand once they’re foam filled you’re pretty much stuck with the tire on the rim permanently.

Reactions: lcp

lcp

I considered the same thing and discussed it with a friend of mine that owns a local tractor dealership and offers the foam filling. He advised against it due to the added weight, difficulty in changing tires when they're worn, and the rough ride. He said I'd be better off pumping a liquid tire sealer in them like I've been doing. The main problem we have here is mesquite thorn punctures. I've always used slime, but there may be better ones available.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I would not inject anything into tires to make them "solid". The tires will never balance. If your machine is just creeping down a pasture, that's probably not a concern. Even at 10-15 mph, however, the machine might ride as if you had egg shaped wheels mounted.

Why don't you look for 16 inch skid steer, loader, or tractor tires? Just have a local shop tell you if they fit the rim. There are also a number of guys on YouTube who run tractor tires on their Roxor (mud buggy). I'm sure they would respond if you messaged them.
You can find loader tires for about the same price as an equivalent size pickup tire. Ebay has always some surplus tires listed.
Loader tires are made for low speed, but that seems ok for your use case.

At the speeds you go over pastures, I would not worry about weight as long as it is balanced (as in a commercially produced tire). If you go down the road, weight does matter.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It would help with the weight but not be good for high speed road driving but if he could find some used tractor/skid steer tires that have some age not only will they be thicker plys helping with the punctures but generally those old tires have really hard rubber which will also help them when it comes to punctures. Maybe some old hard tires with a tube inside to help hold the air (thinking bead and maybe minor dry rot leaks, just a precautionary measure) would be the hot ticket to fill his needs.

Day Radebaugh

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Definitely be more weight and maintenance as a result. Will it work? I don’t know but I think it would. If you need stronger spindles torque king had some they made. Only way to find out is to do it and see what issue pop up. Not sure how much heavier you’d be but factor that in as well if you’re ever spraying in wet pastures. I bet you’d be adding at least 200 lbs if not more to your total weight. If it was me I’d opt to do the liquid seal products like slime to reduce weight as well as make it easier to change tires in the future. From what I understand once they’re foam filled you’re pretty much stuck with the tire on the rim permanently.
That's a good suggestion, thanks. We use a lot of slime out here on the farm.

Day Radebaugh

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I would not inject anything into tires to make them "solid". The tires will never balance. If your machine is just creeping down a pasture, that's probably not a concern. Even at 10-15 mph, however, the machine might ride as if you had egg shaped wheels mounted.

Why don't you look for 16 inch skid steer, loader, or tractor tires? Just have a local shop tell you if they fit the rim. There are also a number of guys on YouTube who run tractor tires on their Roxor (mud buggy). I'm sure they would respond if you messaged them.
You can find loader tires for about the same price as an equivalent size pickup tire. Ebay has always some surplus tires listed.
Loader tires are made for low speed, but that seems ok for your use case.

At the speeds you go over pastures, I would not worry about weight as long as it is balanced (as in a commercially produced tire). If you go down the road, weight does matter.
Excellent. Thanks very much. I'll look into tractor tires.

Day Radebaugh

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I considered the same thing and discussed it with a friend of mine that owns a local tractor dealership and offers the foam filling. He advised against it due to the added weight, difficulty in changing tires when they're worn, and the rough ride. He said I'd be better off pumping a liquid tire sealer in them like I've been doing. The main problem we have here is mesquite thorn punctures. I've always used slime, but there may be better ones available.
Came across this stuff, which is possibly the industrial strength version of Slime. This seems to be the way to go, at least for a first step.

Day Radebaugh

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

Harvey Cannon

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Liquid tube, the brand name. It cost more but really works great. Been using it a long time now and won't dustup your rims.

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Foam works great in tractor tires but I do not think it would be good for the roxor. Too much weight and balance issues. Try a better tire. Maybe think of having a ranch set and play set of tires?

lcp

I just bought my 2018 and it came with these tires. They aren't good for street use, but they provide great offroad traction and the sidewalls are stiff as hell and that might indicate a thickness that makes them pretty resistant to getting poked.

5b142691797_bsmmt7816__lg__33631__66325.1670433177.jpg

1BB

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I wouldn't do that. If it worked, the military would do it. The last thing they want, it a flat tire in a hot combat zone. The Russians tried this back in the 80's, but quickly learned that the tires absorb A LOT of ground vibration, that now was transferred up into the vehicles drive train, and caused huge problems with very expensive break downs.

If I was you, I'd get one of these air compressors in an ammo can, that have a tire plug kit in it. They're great, and have a long duty cycle, and air up a truck tire VERY quickly. Make or buy an ammo can mount, and leave it on your Roxor all the time.

lcp

I have one of these compressors and, in certain circumstances, I carry it in the back of the vehicle I'm in along with a tire plugging kit. It puts out a good amount of air and can even run an impact wrench in short bursts. Mine is close to 20 years old and still doing good.

Last edited:

rkoffroad

I didn't think foam filled worked for anything outside slow moving vehicles. Once it gets a flat/soft spot it's going to be a PITA.