ooooooooooo

Fender Flare Issue

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I bought a set of the Crown Fender flares and am a little confused. I have not installed them yet but it appears that when they are bolted on, the very front of the front ones will not sit flush against the fender. I have seen some pictures of flares installed that appear to have this gap and others where the flares fit up nice and flush. What am I missing? Is there a difference in the Crown and Omix flares? I can try to take some pictures but it is hard to hold them in place and take some by myself.

Breevers

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
they will not fit perfect regardless of the brand unless you do some fanagling with them. Several guys use heat guns and clamps to mold the trim tight against the fender and then use rivets or other fasteners to suck in that front edge. Nothing too difficult.

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
they will not fit perfect regardless of the brand unless you do some fanagling with them. Several guys use heat guns and clamps to mold the trim tight against the fender and then use rivets or other fasteners to suck in that front edge. Nothing too difficult.
Oh, ok! I do have a handy dandy heat gun and plenty of rivets. I hated to start modding them if they were supposed to fit better out of the box.

Wazzu

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I installed the ones from on the rox and they fit nicely.

Semperfi

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I bought a set of the Crown Fender flares and am a little confused. I have not installed them yet but it appears that when they are bolted on, the very front of the front ones will not sit flush against the fender. I have seen some pictures of flares installed that appear to have this gap and others where the flares fit up nice and flush. What am I missing? Is there a difference in the Crown and Omix flares? I can try to take some pictures but it is hard to hold them in place and take some by myself.
The front fender area does stick out a bit at front tip. You will get used to it, just be careful not to snag you leg when walking to close.

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The front fender area does stick out a bit at front tip. You will get used to it, just be careful not to snag you leg when walking to close.
Yessir, that could be an issue! :) I mocked them up again this evening and can see where a heat gun will hopefully help me mold the constant 90 degree angle of the plastic flare to the changing angle of the fender.

Sgtatarms

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My Crown CJ flares have maybe an eighth-inch gap from the fender at the pointed end on the very front. Doesn't bother me at all. It helps to use 2-3-4 different vise grips (or small clamps) to hold them in place until your can mark locations to drill for mounting screws. It's a tight spot to mark in, I used a small nail that I bent about 1/4" from pointed end, then "scribed" the paint to mark to drill. Then remove the clamps (and flares) and drill all your marked screw holes in the fender. Before you start to mount the flares, it will also help to first run an attaching screw into, then out of, all the plastic pieces that go inside the flares, in order to create (cut) threads inside them.
With all that done, you can then mount the flare to the fender. Get all the screws started first, be cause before you tighten any of them down you will still have a little "wiggle room" to adjust the flare to the fender.
Do the fronts first, use all the mounting holes and hardware on them. On the rears, you don't use the top middle hole at all, because it is almost exactly even with the top of the inner wheel wells. Skip that one, the other holes and hardware are plenty adequate to secure the rear flares. The plastic hardware goes inside the flare, the screws from inside the fender. A small battery drill or impact driver is the preferred tool. You don't have to remove the tire and wheel, but it will help if you do. I hope this information helps.

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks for the good info. Im planning to work on installing mine this weekend.

meyerld

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
When I installed mine I spent quite a bit of time test fitting them with small clamps and a lot of patience. I found a sweet spot for a location that minimized any gaps but still also maintained visual alignment with the body and fender well. IEven after I found the sweet spot I noticed that the sequence of installing the screws front to back, back to front, middle to outside, also made a difference in the final result, but in the end I have no noticeable gap on any of them.

mcmacsten

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
3C73597F-42A8-44ED-8DD4-9116F065BA52.jpeg
3C73597F-42A8-44ED-8DD4-9116F065BA52.jpeg
435A7A76-8F92-430B-8946-62EAF838187C.jpeg

3C73597F-42A8-44ED-8DD4-9116F065BA52.jpeg 4FB63689-EA76-432C-B6D0-7A8502837D65.jpeg 435A7A76-8F92-430B-8946-62EAF838187C.jpeg

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Are these mandated in some states?

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Put rubber gasket in between it’ll keep all the water out and keep from ruining paint underneath. Also fill any small gaps
where did you purchase your flares? Where did you get the gasket material.