ooooooooooo

FCA looking to block Mahindra

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
I'm all for a unique grill design anyway. Not being a jeep guy, I could care less about 7 slots or whatever. All I know is I love my Roxor.
I covered mine up. So nana nana boo boo on them all!! LOL.....

BDRAG

ROXOR GRILL 1.jpg ROXOR GRILL 2.jpg ROXOR GRILL 3.jpg

Av8tor

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
That slotted grill looks good though!!!
This whole lawsuit is dumb!!!
Guarantee there is not one customer out there going....
“Should I buy a $40k SUV called a Jeep or a NON STREET LEGAL remake CJ 7 Roxor for $15k”.....
They are just pissed and being territorial..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandyx

Founding Member
Looks like they made initial determination that Rotor grill is a trade dress violation under Section 337 as an import into the US. If.

ITC document clearly states Roxor DOES NOT infringe on the 4 trademarks related to 'Jeep 7 slot grill'. The trade dress, which has now acquired a 'secondary meaning' and has been found to be violated, has got to be related to the Importation of overall shape, and not the grille. The overall shape is not similar to Willys MB and thus didn't infringe on the silhouette claim by FCA. I had posted details of all 5 trade marks which weren't violated.

I believe the true explanation of this Determination could be known only when the 'secondary meaning' of the trade dress is made public.

To me, this Determination is biased. FCA has nothing on Roxor wrt the documents submitted as claims. 5 of them were disregarded, and a 'secondary meaning' BS had to be cooked up to try reign in the Roxor. MANA has every reason to fight this nonsense.

MikeT

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Trade dress refers to the overall image. FCA is claiming the roxor shape is too close to their jeep image. For some clarification from legal summary:

In Two Pesos v. Taco Cabana (1992)‚ the United States Supreme Court held that trade dress can be inherently distinctive. When trade dress is inherently distinctive‚ it does not require secondary meaning to be eligible for trademark protection.
Trade dress that is inherently distinctive may be subject to trademark protection even if it has not acquired a secondary meaning. A mark may be trademarked if it is distinctive, per the Lanham Act. A mark is distinct if it is either (1) inherently distinctive, or (2) has acquired a secondary meaning. Secondary meaning refers to that situation where an aspect of a product that is not necessarily distinctive on its own has, either through successful marketing or some other mechanism, become associated in the public mind with that product. As a consequence of these definitions, a mark cannot be both inherently distinctive and have secondary meaning at the same time.

I’m not a lawyer but it appears clear that FCA is claiming the jeep shape is infringed upon in the USA by the Roxor, and that the jeep shape has achieved secondary meaning

Thar

By secondary meaning, maybe it's like, a car's general silhouette has not achieved secondary meaning, thus not an infringement. But the old original war era jeep silhouette achieved it and is thus not a general shape like a car.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Seeing as how that classic front body design was mostly thanks to Ford for the US military, I find this defense sketchy at best to stand on.

Bantam (BRC-60) and Willys (MA) had rounded fronts similar to trucks of the era. The Willys MB was mostly Bantam mechanical and Ford front body design resulting in the timeless look we all know. Both the Ford and Willys concepts copied Bantams original mechanical concepts.

Willys -> Kaiser -> AMC -> ChryCo -> Fiat's concept military Jeeps were too fat and only really ended up bringing the GoDevil engine to the design. Funny how history repeats itself.

Last edited:

Tokarev

I contacted ROXOR via their online chat feature. I asked if they any comments on future plans. They said they'll have an official statement coming shortly.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

928dennis

There getting there ass handed to them. If FCA get's there way they are done here as we know them. If your thinking of buying one or know someone better get it done. FCA is trying to get a cease and decease order in place to stop sales. They are playing hardball for sure. Bottom line is it dose not matter what we think here.

Last edited:

Tokarev

There also going to try and recapture the profits Mahindra has made off the Roxor. This could be a very expensive lesson.
Sounds like it is getting ugly.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nothing formal yet guys. This will not be a fast process.

Rmodel65

If they were smart they would build exact copies of the willys they have the rights to with their diesel 5spd and disc front brakes