ooooooooooo

FCA looking to block Mahindra

Tokarev

That. That all day and twice on sunday.
Would you want the Bolero front end?

I assume that's a potential future "improvement" for the Roxor especially if things don't work out between MANA and FCA.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
With the right fabricator and a lot of cash that thing looks easy to put a willys truck styled hood and clip. Then find a repro bed for the back. Walla instant willys truck.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm sure its the same drive train as the Roxor when you check the specs and it is a solid front axle, get me one in 4x4 when you order yours.

I had the assumption it was SFA gear like the Roxor. I'd pass on 2WD.

Would you want the Bolero front end?

I assume that's a potential future "improvement" for the Roxor especially if things don't work out between MANA and FCA.

I'd prefer the older styling front end but if it had Roxor guts and suspension and cost less than 30k, they could make it look like Hello Kitty for all I care.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
With the right fabricator and a lot of cash that thing looks easy to put a willys truck styled hood and clip. Then find a repro bed for the back. Walla instant willys truck.

If you know of a place repro'ing the front clip of Willys pickups, I'm all ears.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Bister that 2DR with a heater, defrost, turn signals and driver's seat. Everything else optional lol.

B

Bister

Bister that 2DR with a heater, defrost, turn signals and driver's seat. Everything else optional lol.
Just like my 1980 Chevy short wheel base van. The passenger seat, arm rest and sun visor were optional. lol

I drove it for 17 years, for courier work. Cheap and easy to fix and parts everywhere. 470,000 city kilometres on a 250 6 cylinder and kid working for me got hit and they wrote it off.

It was almost like this one, but I had no windows in the back, drive my feel. lol

001.jpg

sandyx

Founding Member
Those Bolero crewcab/2DR pickups have similar power train & drivetrain as Roxor. They're designed out of old gen Mahindra pickups with jeep style front clip. They just replaced that nose with Bolero suv front clip. Obviously with some structural changes given the wheel base. These and others in this lineage are simple and known to outlast their owners. The same can't be said about any of Mahindra's new age products.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Those Bolero crewcab/2DR pickups have similar power train & drivetrain as Roxor. They're designed out of old gen Mahindra pickups with jeep style front clip. They just replaced that nose with Bolero suv front clip. Obviously with some structural changes given the wheel base. These and others in this lineage are simple and known to outlast their owners. The same can't be said about any of Mahindra's new age products.

I would be all over that 2DR/Manual/4WD

Tokarev

I'd prefer the older styling front end but if it had Roxor guts and suspension and cost less than 30k, they could make it look like Hello Kitty for all I care.
I tend to agree especially if the little rig remains unchanged otherwise.

With that said, if I worked for Mahindra and had any say in future efforts I'd devote serious effort into bringing a 50 state road legal 4x4 to market. Something that competes directly with the Wrangler.

Thar

In India, manufacturers put a clear distinction between rural and urban markets. That's why simple vehicles like the Bolero won't go out of production. I believe US manufacturers make no such distinction, even though USA is diverse enough. FCA fears about Mahindra is legitimate as there's always the risk of many Americans just wanting something utilitarian.

You think Bronco is gonna be any different?

Tokarev

In India, manufacturers put a clear distinction between rural and urban markets. That's why simple vehicles like the Bolero won't go out of production. I believe US manufacturers make no such distinction, even though USA is diverse enough. FCA fears about Mahindra is legitimate as there's always the risk of many Americans just wanting something utilitarian.

I don't know much about Ford. Will the reintroduced Bronco be a utilitarian vehicle? Rubber floot mats and vinyl seats? Mechanical windows and locks?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
I don't know much about Ford. Will the reintroduced Bronco be a utilitarian vehicle? Rubber floot mats and vinyl seats? Mechanical windows and locks?

WHAT? Ford Bronco from what I have herd from a Roush rep in the area says, it's gonna be on a baby Ranger frame with the basic model selling for $40K. The optioned out ones will enter the market first and cost $50-$55 K. The basic ones won't see dealers for 6 months after the optioned out models. So the Ford Bronco will be a cool but expensive urban SUV. Just like most of the Ford Raptors, never seeing much more than a dirt road while towing the bass boat to the ramp.

Evidence I have seen first hand and punctuate with my purchase this week of a set of take off 2017 Raptor wheels with 30,000 miles on them, they look brand new, that I am putting on my F-150 to get back to a 17 inch wheel and get the crap 20 inch wheels off that are the roughest riding 33/12.50/20" on the planet with the 2 " leveling kit in the front. Beats me to death. I'm dropping from a E rated to a C rated tire in the 17's.

BDRAG

Last edited:

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You’ll get a better ride between the increase in sidewall and the reduction of load capacity I’d say the sidewall difference will be the biggest factor in ride. I hate that the trend is larger wheel diameter. More of the masses driving auto makers or perhaps vice versa but the end is vehicles are built for looks/status and not for utility/work.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Spot on. The new Bronco is gonna be complete with seat belt warmers and purse cradles like the new Jeeps, except not as good.

The rural US is clammoring for an enduring simple utilitarian work horse vehicle that can also get into town to run errands. Why do you think 90s Cummins Dodges are worth so much money? TJs and LJs are now passing JKs in the used market value. This is not a trend that will slow down. It will start to ramp up greatly as nature starts taking back that last set of real work horse capable vehicles sold in the US.

More than Jeep better be scared of Mahindra. If Mahindra is gonna go for volume sales of simple work/purpose vehicles over high margin useless fodder stuffed truck shaped sedans, then they will find most of rural America (which is vast) ready with cash in hand. I am one of em. I am not alone.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Furthermore, I bet a non-trivial chunk of urban America would buy a strippo simple commuter in the $8-10k range with very few/no frills or features.

Thar

Unfortunately though, I fear that Mahindra too is looking at higher margin options in the US. Once they tried to launch (older, rural-ish) Scorpio and got shot down, but now I think they'll consider only the future "premium" "bigger" (not premium or big by American standards) versions of XUV500 & Scorpio. Not a great plan.

I feel like there's some unwritten insider rule that barebone vehicles simply won't be allowed in. Develop a big one and then enter. If Bolero somehow finds success there, TATA should seriously consider the Sumo, 207 and Xenon. It'd be too much to expect Force to do anything, although Gurkha is a great bet.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It must have been 10 ish years ago, I was living in town. I saw Tata was trying to import a very simple and small commuter for a very reasonable price. I woulda hopped on it, but they got blocked at some point. Likely the protectionist wings of the EPA and safety nazis.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Ahhhh, Small Tata's are nice........Cars. :oops::D

BDRAG

Thar

Okay, New TATA cars are nice and very solidly built. And the old one you're talking about has done probably a trillion miles as taxis, but I guarantee that you'd have hated it. Started making normal cars only 20 years ago.

But I think you'd love their 207 and Sumo. Both TATA and M&M sell these things in many countries, but when it comes to the US, blank.